2024 Political Polls

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 2K
  • Views: 55K
  • Politics 
It's ok, you're still awesome.

You Are Awesome Lauren Lapkus GIF by Earwolf
Seriously. I know how she clicked the wrong box -- she clicked the wrong box. She made a mistake, the same type of mistake that people commonly make. I would guess that every single person on this board has clicked the wrong box before, and probably multiple times. I know I have. I don't think it requires a mea culpa.

Now, I don't want to project too much, but it's true that deal attorneys have to be hyper-focused on tiny details. The main job of a deal lawyer is to not fuck up. So if you do fuck up, it's like a big deal. I wonder if that's what's happening here.

When I was teaching, I was going through with my class a merger agreement I pulled off the web. We were going through the "Material Adverse Effect" clause, which is a type of clause that is maddeningly frustrating. They usually have like quadruple or quintuple negatives, like "X is a material adverse effect unless it is Y, except that if it is Z, unless it is also not A," etc. In a long paragraph of a laundry list of shit, a word "not" had been omitted. It was a quadruple negative instead of the required quintuple. The result was a complete and utter fuck-up. The error meant that the buyer had basically no obligation to buy, which is the single biggest fuckup a deal lawyer can make (or at least one of them), and it was buried deep in a clause. I notified the partner on the transaction (because the agreement was only days old) and told him. Fortunately for them, the buyer was cool and agreed to amend it, but it was entirely possible that people would have lost their jobs and potentially their careers because of a single missing "not."

Point is, to be a good deal lawyer (which I'm guessing nycfan is), you have to learn to be really hard on yourself over tiny things.

Seriously. I know how she clicked the wrong box -- she clicked the wrong box. She made a mistake, the same type of mistake that people commonly make. I would guess that every single person on this board has clicked the wrong box before, and probably multiple times. I know I have. I don't think it requires a mea culpa.

Now, I don't want to project too much, but it's true that deal attorneys have to be hyper-focused on tiny details. The main job of a deal lawyer is to not fuck up. So if you do fuck up, it's like a big deal. I wonder if that's what's happening here.

When I was teaching, I was going through with my class a merger agreement I pulled off the web. We were going through the "Material Adverse Effect" clause, which is a type of clause that is maddeningly frustrating. They usually have like quadruple or quintuple negatives, like "X is a material adverse effect unless it is Y, except that if it is Z, unless it is also not A," etc. In a long paragraph of a laundry list of shit, a word "not" had been omitted. It was a quadruple negative instead of the required quintuple. The result was a complete and utter fuck-up. The error meant that the buyer had basically no obligation to buy, which is the single biggest fuckup a deal lawyer can make (or at least one of them), and it was buried deep in a clause. I notified the partner on the transaction (because the agreement was only days old) and told him. Fortunately for them, the buyer was cool and agreed to amend it, but it was entirely possible that people would have lost their jobs and potentially their careers because of a single missing "not."

Point is, to be a good deal lawyer (which I'm guessing nycfan is), you have to learn to be really hard on yourself over tiny things.
I think the main point - or at least a very, very, very important secondary point - of most jobs is not to fuck up.

Unless, I guess, you're a product beta tester...then the point probably is to fuck up.

I think the main point - or at least a very, very, very important secondary point - of most jobs is not to fuck up.

Unless, I guess, you're a product beta tester...then the point probably is to fuck up.
To be fair, 75% of the participants in the last two debates for the most powerful political office in the world have totally fucked up, so we’ll have to see how important a criteria that really is.

To be fair, 75% of the participants in the last two debates for the most powerful political office in the world have totally fucked up, so we’ll have to see how important a criteria that really is.
Maybe they are just product beta testers? 🤷‍♀️

Haha. Touche. But I mean something different. Think about it this way. A chef's job is to create tasty food. Not fucking up is part of that, but it's not the goal. The waiter's job is to get the food to the table without spilling it. The waiter's criteria for success is pretty much only "did anything bad happen"?

The deal attorney is a bit like the waiter. I don't want to trivialize. The waiter's function is essential for the restaurant to function, and while waiting tables is unskilled, the deal attorney's version of the job is very much not. We can't have nice things without deal attorneys to grease the wheels of commerce. But it's a different type of job than, say, computer programming or designing buildings. [And yes, nycfan, I'm simplifying. Some % of the job of a deal attorney is to help the deal happen. I'm just talking shit and ultimately I'm sympathetic to you because you do a great job for the board]

tv land GIF by YoungerTV

Back