2024 Presidential Election | 43 Days to Election Day

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 4K
  • Views: 91K
  • Politics 
Does Trump have PTSD?

“… Republican donors and Trump campaign officials are struggling to understand why Trump seems to be sabotaging his own candidacy. One theory, according to sources, is that Trump has been experiencing trauma from his near-death experience following the assassination attempt at the rally last month in Butler, Pennsylvania.

He’s been watching that seven-second clip of how close he was to getting shot right in the head—over and over and over again,” the Republican close to the campaign said. “He may actually legit have PTSD.

A campaign official confirmed that the shooting continues to weigh on Trump. “He’s been through a lot,” the official said. (The Trump campaign did not respond to a request for comment.)

… Another theory is that Trump can’t let go of the fact that Biden dropped out. “They cheated by swapping Biden,” Trump has told people, according to a person who recently spent time with the Republican presidential nominee.

The Trump campaign believed that Harris’s honeymoon would fade, but instead, the opposite has happened: Her momentum is surging. Trump’s advisers have implored him to launch policy attacks on Harris instead of using juvenile nicknames like Laffin Kamala and Kamabla. Longtime Trump confidant Roger Stone is among those who want Trump to change tactics. “I do think it’s counterproductive to call her stupid,” he told me.

Trump has rejected his team’s advice. According to the Republican close to the campaign, Trump tells his advisers: “I know what I’m doing.” …”

It began way before that. I mean, it's been there since the beginning, but if we're talking about our current cycle -- you have to go back at least as far as 88.
I’d say it has to go back at least as far as 1968 - that’s when the GOP started with the Southern Strategy. Nixon’s use of it began in late ‘69. Nothing respectable about the Southern Strategy or Silent Majority.

Jesse Helms certainly wasn’t respecting his opposition in any of his campaigns, beginning with “Vote for Jesse! He’s one of us,” in 1972 against Nick Galifinakis.

Probably Jesse’s first instance of disrespecting a political opponent was in 1950, when he and Tom Ellis helped doctor a photo so it showed Mrs. Frank Porter Graham dancing with a black man.

Like you said, disrespecting one’s political opponents likely goes back to the beginning.

It began way before that. I mean, it's been there since the beginning, but if we're talking about our current cycle -- you have to go back at least as far as 88.
I dunno - I really do think the game changed with Gingrich and the rise of Republican obstructionism as a strategy back in the 90s, happening around the same time as the rise of conservative talk radio. I wasn't old enough to experience the 1988 election, but what happened in that cycle that seems of a kind with the current political temperature and animosity? Wasn't it just the mostly lighthearted making fun of Dukakis looking dumb in a tank?

If you want you could point back to the "Southern strategy" of co-opting southern evangelicals into conservatism through culture war grievance that was initiated in the late 70s. To me that's the earliest of the three clear "fundamental shifts in the political atmosphere/discourse" you can identify leading us to where we are today:

--Southern strategy in the late 70s; beginning of the modern "culture war" politics
--Gingrich and the dawn of Republican obstructionism in the 90s, simultaneous with the rise of Limbaugh et al
--The 2008 election and the rise of the Tea Party movement, which after Romney's defeat in 2012 would ultimate coalesce around Trump as MAGA

Does Trump have PTSD?

“… Republican donors and Trump campaign officials are struggling to understand why Trump seems to be sabotaging his own candidacy. One theory, according to sources, is that Trump has been experiencing trauma from his near-death experience following the assassination attempt at the rally last month in Butler, Pennsylvania.

He’s been watching that seven-second clip of how close he was to getting shot right in the head—over and over and over again,” the Republican close to the campaign said. “He may actually legit have PTSD.

A campaign official confirmed that the shooting continues to weigh on Trump. “He’s been through a lot,” the official said. (The Trump campaign did not respond to a request for comment.)

… Another theory is that Trump can’t let go of the fact that Biden dropped out. “They cheated by swapping Biden,” Trump has told people, according to a person who recently spent time with the Republican presidential nominee.

The Trump campaign believed that Harris’s honeymoon would fade, but instead, the opposite has happened: Her momentum is surging. Trump’s advisers have implored him to launch policy attacks on Harris instead of using juvenile nicknames like Laffin Kamala and Kamabla. Longtime Trump confidant Roger Stone is among those who want Trump to change tactics. “I do think it’s counterproductive to call her stupid,” he told me.

Trump has rejected his team’s advice. According to the Republican close to the campaign, Trump tells his advisers: “I know what I’m doing.” …”

Good lord. If Roger freaking Stone thinks calling people names is counterproductive, their polling must be absolutely abysmal.

Does Trump have PTSD?

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

Does Trump have PTSD?

Trump: [acts exactly like he has every day since 2015]

Republican advisors: We don't understand why he's acting like this!

I dunno - I really do think the game changed with Gingrich and the rise of Republican obstructionism as a strategy back in the 90s, happening around the same time as the rise of conservative talk radio. I wasn't old enough to experience the 1988 election, but what happened in that cycle that seems of a kind with the current political temperature and animosity? Wasn't it just the mostly lighthearted making fun of Dukakis looking dumb in a tank?

If you want you could point back to the "Southern strategy" of co-opting southern evangelicals into conservatism through culture war grievance that was initiated in the late 70s. To me that's the earliest of the three clear "fundamental shifts in the political atmosphere/discourse" you can identify leading us to where we are today:

--Southern strategy in the late 70s; beginning of the modern "culture war" politics
--Gingrich and the dawn of Republican obstructionism in the 90s, simultaneous with the rise of Limbaugh et al
--The 2008 election and the rise of the Tea Party movement, which after Romney's defeat in 2012 would ultimate coalesce around Trump as MAGA
Look up Willie Horton regarding the 1988 campaign.

The GOP started with the Southern Strategy in 1968.

Look up Willie Horton regarding the 1988 campaign.

The GOP started with the Southern Strategy in 1968.
The Southern Strategy was developed out of fear that the Nixon may lose a significant number white voters to
George Wallace.

Appealing to bigoted voters has been a fundamental pillar supporting the GQP for over 50 years

Back