2024 Presidential Election | 46 Days to Election Day

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 4K
  • Views: 89K
  • Politics 
For reference, Walz on child care before being picked as VP — something of a signature issue for him in Minnesota:

I can't believe he was applauded for that answer.
Yep, especially in that setting. Maybe his handlers had staff as applause generator plants in the audience?

But maybe the audience was so baffled they were applauding him wrapping up his response (whether for pity’s sake or boredom or delight that Trump finally pulled himself out of the slide - MAGA!)?

Trump says things on a daily basis that are as/more confusing and incoherent than anything Biden said on that debate stage in June, yet not a peep from Pubs (or much from the media) on inability to do the job.
This continues to be a baffling double standard. All I can come up with is that by comparison there was no question that Biden’s debate performance was an acute, severe decline from what he was previously capable of over decades of service.

Meanwhile Trump has been giving these rambling, incoherent responses since he came on the scene and the increased incidence and incoherence of them has been much more slowly happening.
🤷‍♀️

But the other difference was Biden’s supporters reacting to his debate performance with concern about his capacity to do the job for another four years, while apparently Trump supporters would cheer if he vomited on the stage then yelled MAGA!

Trump says things on a daily basis that are as/more confusing and incoherent than anything Biden said on that debate stage in June, yet not a peep from Pubs (or much from the media) on inability to do the job.
Its frustrating.......

This came up in the Trump rally and interview thread, but this answer is astonishingly incoherent (after JD gave the “let grandma do it” answer the day before), so wanted to add it here, too (I added paragraph breaks to make it easier to read).

“Well, I would do that, and we're sitting down, and I was, somebody, we had Senator Marco Rubio, and my daughter Ivanka was so, uh, impactful on that issue. It's a very important issue.

But I think when you talk about the kind of numbers that I'm talking about, that, because, look, child care is child care is.

Couldn't, you know, there's something, you have to have it – in this country you have to have it.But when you talk about those numbers compared to the kind of numbers that I'm talking about by taxing foreign nations at levels that they're not used to — but they'll get used to it very quickly – and it's not gonna stop them from doing business with us, but they'll have a very substantial tax when they send product into our country.

Uh, those numbers are so much bigger than any numbers that we're talking about, including child care, that it's going to take care.

We're gonna have - I, I look forward to having no deficits within a fairly short period of time, coupled with, uh, the reductions that I told you about on waste and fraud and all of the other things that are going on in our country, because I have to stay with child care.

I want to stay with child care, but those numbers are small relative to the kind of economic numbers that I'm talking about, including growth, but growth also headed up by what the plan is that I just, uh, that I just told you about.We're gonna be taking in trillions of dollars, and as much as child care, uh, is talked about as being expensive, it's, relatively speaking, not very expensive compared to the kind of numbers we'll be taking in.

We're going to make this into an incredible country that can afford to take care of its people, and then we'll worry about the rest of the world.

Let's help other people, but we're going to take care of our country first.

This is about America first. It's about Make America Great Again, we have to do it because right now we're a failing nation, so we'll take care of it.

Thank you. Very good question. Thank you.”

Video:

I would never post it, BUT THAT ANSWER RIGHT THERE is when it would be appropriate to post the Ms. South Carolina meme.

When I see stuff like this, I have a hard time believing polling that has her losing or in a dead heat. I’ve busted on Pubs for saying things “feel” a certain way that’s opposite the data, but this sure feels like the case here.

They wouldn’t be raising this kind of cash if the base wasn’t very fired up/motivated.
IMO it feels like the inverse of 2016, when polls were missing stuff. I think that's how Bouzy got doing what he does - looking at other zip-specific metrics, donations, volunteers, etc. Because in 2016 we were all like "yay the polls!" but the magas did have that fever-pitch emotion going on. Polls rely SO MUCH on past voting behavior that they miss stuff like that which changes the electorate in significant ways.

Could that be happening here? I think so. And I think many pollsters are so concerned about missing the trumpian vote (again) that they may be missing a blind spot. Just a hunch.

Oh also with that much cash on hand, they are about to blitz the hell out of the swing states in the final 2 months.

This came up in the Trump rally and interview thread, but this answer is astonishingly incoherent (after JD gave the “let grandma do it” answer the day before), so wanted to add it here, too (I added paragraph breaks to make it easier to read).

“Well, I would do that, and we're sitting down, and I was, somebody, we had Senator Marco Rubio, and my daughter Ivanka was so, uh, impactful on that issue. It's a very important issue.

But I think when you talk about the kind of numbers that I'm talking about, that, because, look, child care is child care is.

Couldn't, you know, there's something, you have to have it – in this country you have to have it.But when you talk about those numbers compared to the kind of numbers that I'm talking about by taxing foreign nations at levels that they're not used to — but they'll get used to it very quickly – and it's not gonna stop them from doing business with us, but they'll have a very substantial tax when they send product into our country.

Uh, those numbers are so much bigger than any numbers that we're talking about, including child care, that it's going to take care.

We're gonna have - I, I look forward to having no deficits within a fairly short period of time, coupled with, uh, the reductions that I told you about on waste and fraud and all of the other things that are going on in our country, because I have to stay with child care.

I want to stay with child care, but those numbers are small relative to the kind of economic numbers that I'm talking about, including growth, but growth also headed up by what the plan is that I just, uh, that I just told you about.We're gonna be taking in trillions of dollars, and as much as child care, uh, is talked about as being expensive, it's, relatively speaking, not very expensive compared to the kind of numbers we'll be taking in.

We're going to make this into an incredible country that can afford to take care of its people, and then we'll worry about the rest of the world.

Let's help other people, but we're going to take care of our country first.

This is about America first. It's about Make America Great Again, we have to do it because right now we're a failing nation, so we'll take care of it.

Thank you. Very good question. Thank you.”

Video:

That was the most incoherent answer he's ever given. That's a high bar, too.

This continues to be a baffling double standard. All I can come up with is that by comparison there was no question that Biden’s debate performance was an acute, severe decline from what he was previously capable of over decades of service.

Meanwhile Trump has been giving these rambling, incoherent responses since he came on the scene and the increased incidence and incoherence of them has been much more slowly happening.
🤷‍♀️

But the other difference was Biden’s supporters reacting to his debate performance with concern about his capacity to do the job for another four years, while apparently Trump supporters would cheer if he vomited on the stage then yelled MAGA!
Also, Trump raises his voice during his incoherent ramblings, whereas Biden mumbled.

Interesting.

I’ve seen far more Trump ads on TV in NC than Harris ad. But then, most of my “live” TV viewing these days is sports, and I imagine Trump is focused on reaching the male-dominated demographic of sports-watchers.
Agreed - that said they are the same 2 ads, and have been for the last month.

Also, polls are closer today because the right-wing has created so many right-leaning poll services. They flood the zone to impact the national averages to lean right. Why? So when they lose they can say the election was stolen because of the polls all said Trump was winning.
Yep. There is so much going on to produce these polling averages.

- crappy polls being included
- the sheer number of crappy polls
- the methodology of who is included in any poll (what demographic and education levels to include)
- trying to doctor the data to account for things like convention bounces, etc

Finding a representative sample is important. The polls should represent America, or the community in which they are gathered. But throttling the poll to try and represent who will actually vote is a total guess. We know that college v non college whites became a huge deal after 2016 missed that so badly in polling. But is there anything else that’s being missed? Should the weighting of factors like education level be the same in 2024 as they were in 2016? Nobody knows.

Back