2024 Presidential Election | 47 Days to Election Day

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 4K
  • Views: 88K
  • Politics 
I come in peace....and have two hopefully somewhat interesting observations/questions about the debate Tuesday night.
1. From what I heard, there was not any mention of the national debt/deficits/balancing budgets. That is kind of astonishing to me because that always felt like a hot topic in the past. My guess is that everyone involved realizes that balanced budges are a pipe dream these days so why even bother to address it, and to me, is a very bad sign about ever approaching any kind of fiscal responsibility in the near future. A possible government shutdown looms and not a peep of that either. What do all of you make of that omission?
2. The entire back and forth about what each presidential candidate will do if elected really ignored the big old elephant/donkey in the room. The President cannot (and maybe should not) be able to do too much without the support of Congress. I was stunned that neither candidate implored voters to vote for Senate and House candidates from their respective parties. Maybe both are planning to use Executive Orders more. The talk about working across the aisle with members of the other Party surely has gone away but now it feels like they have forgotten to even discuss getting a majority in the Senate and House to really get legislation moving. Was that omission by both on purpose or just did not think of it?
1. Moderators didn’t ask the question. Why? Your guess as good as anyone’s.
2. Good question. Trump Will definitely try to do things via executive order if given the chance. Harris did indeed implore voters to get out and vote. Perhaps she didn’t say “get out and vote down ballot - as well as for me”, but she darn well implored people to get out and vote for a new way forward.

Oh That's thé dream and the reality? Why would we ever lie to make folks like us? Truth is Trump sucks so badly you folks need to check your "concepts" as apparently you would rather think folks are eating your pet versus your neglect!
ETA
Post in thread 'Harris/Walz Catch-All' Politics - Harris/Walz Catch-All

Last edited:

The chart that saved his life has become a definite security blanket. Which maybe he genuinely needs … he may well have PTSD.

I come in peace....and have two hopefully somewhat interesting observations/questions about the debate Tuesday night.
1. From what I heard, there was not any mention of the national debt/deficits/balancing budgets. That is kind of astonishing to me because that always felt like a hot topic in the past. My guess is that everyone involved realizes that balanced budges are a pipe dream these days so why even bother to address it, and to me, is a very bad sign about ever approaching any kind of fiscal responsibility in the near future. A possible government shutdown looms and not a peep of that either. What do all of you make of that omission?
2. The entire back and forth about what each presidential candidate will do if elected really ignored the big old elephant/donkey in the room. The President cannot (and maybe should not) be able to do too much without the support of Congress. I was stunned that neither candidate implored voters to vote for Senate and House candidates from their respective parties. Maybe both are planning to use Executive Orders more. The talk about working across the aisle with members of the other Party surely has gone away but now it feels like they have forgotten to even discuss getting a majority in the Senate and House to really get legislation moving. Was that omission by both on purpose or just did not think of it?
Biden worked with GOP legislators on a number of bills through his tenure and "working with both sides" was addressed regarding the immigration legislation that Trump derailed.

Trump's administration was the most fiscally irresponsible in the history of this country. So, yeah - the fiscal realities of the budget were not addressed.

I assume Trump was trying to tout the support of the “Walz’s” of Nebraska (family of Tim Walz’s grandfather’s brother) and separately of Obama’s estranged older half-brother, Roy, but maybe a wire got crossed … but I don’t think he is thinking Obama is VP, he is just failing to identify Walz as VP candidate and running together a thought about Roy Obama (one of Obama’s father’s kids from a different relationship).

Last edited:
Back