9/11 plotters reach plea bargain; SecDef revokes plea deal

gtyellowjacket

Distinguished Member
The 9/11 plotters have reached a plea agreement. Terms have not been disclosed but insiders have said that it includes no death penalty.

Link

I guess its the best of a bad situation at this point. W blew any chance of a trial when he tortured all the witnesses. We really need to figure out how to do this right the next time so that we can get the information we need and give the criminals a fair trial.

Last edited by a moderator:
So do they bring them to the US and throw them in the supermax prison in Colorado? Would that let us close Guantanamo? Or are there others that have been brought there who need to be dispositioned?

Throw those MFers in supermax. I'd probably prefer the death penalty over life in ADX Florence.

So do they bring them to the US and throw them in the supermax prison in Colorado? Would that let us close Guantanamo? Or are there others that have been brought there who need to be dispositioned?
It is likely no one in the govt would ever ask your questions...I mean they are really use to having this off shore torture house

From a reddit comment on remaining prisoners in Guantanamo Bay (so take it fwiw)

There are 30 men remaining in Gitmo, none are American nationals.

16 of these men have been cleared for release or transfer if we can convince their home country to take them back or make arrangements with a third party. Most of the 16 are from Yemen which is an absolute mess right now so prospects of repatriation are slim. They have no right to be in the USA, and we can't just drop them off at a foreign port, so they're staying put until an agreement is put in place allowing them to be released.

4 of the detainees are serving sentences.

7 of the detainees currently have charges pending.

Only 3 of the 30 remaining detainees are being held without charges and no recommendation for release or transfer.

All you have to do is copy the link from right clicking permalink or getting it from your browser bar and drop it in the comment box like any other link and the board will do the rest.

Disgusting that Real Adm Aaron Rugh the lead prosecutor wanted this....He's a coward and a disgrace to his uniform...the United States ...and the Navy...These scum have lived 23 yrs longer then they deserve..2976 and counting souls died because of this....

Disgusting that Real Adm Aaron Rugh the lead prosecutor wanted this....He's a coward and a disgrace to his uniform...the United States ...and the Navy...These scum have lived 23 yrs longer then they deserve..2976 and counting souls died because of this....
george w bush strategy GIF

So I don't know how this "Court" works . Military court charging civilians of another country . It took them over 20 years to put up a case
The whole thing is bizzaro world. I have no "faith" they were the masterminds??????

Huh?

This feels like a mistake. Trained and experienced attorneys negotiated a plea deal based on problems with the evidence and a career military man with a bachelor of science and a master's of education overruled them.

There's a real chance a judge is going to throw out most of the evidence and these guys are going to get off at trial. Then what are we going to do? We're not going to let him go, but we're going to look like a banana Republic. A plea bargain kept these guys in jail for life.

This feels like a mistake. Trained and experienced attorneys negotiated a plea deal based on problems with the evidence and a career military man with a bachelor of science and a master's of education overruled them.

There's a real chance a judge is going to throw out most of the evidence and these guys are going to get off at trial. Then what are we going to do? We're not going to let him go, but we're going to look like a banana Republic. A plea bargain kept these guys in jail for life.
I, in general, agree with everything you say. But with the entire fate of the American Experiment hanging in the balance in the November election, if the price of that freedom is a couple of terrorists who have absolutely no regard for human life or the American Experiment, then as far as I am concerned, "F" them. And if their continued detention plays some small role in the continuance of the American Experiment, then they can bring that up on Judgement Day when they meet their maker.

Back