Asheville Fascist

donbosco

Distinguished Member
I learned of Asheville’s William Dudley Pelley a few years before I moved there when a student wrote a paper on his life for the North Carolina History class that I was teaching. That a true-to-form fascist had lived in, and propagated his hate-filled ideology from a base in Western North Carolina during the 1930s was alarming. That his anti-semitism didn’t catch on strong in Asheville is comforting though. The city, like Greensboro to the east, has long had a vital Jewish population.

I only knew one Jewish person growing up - a salesman who called on my Deddy’s hardware store. I guess I must’ve known that fact because someone said it out loud. I do not remember any slurs or aspersions cast. I would if there had been any. He was northern though, his accent made that clear enough. I knew that, and had a sense of Jewishness, at least I thought I did, through TV. Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks’ “2000 Year Old Man,” bit, or Joan Rivers, Buddy Hackett, and the ubiquitous talk show comedian Alan King introduced me to new words and a sense of humor that seemed somewhat different from the comedy of Jerry Clower, Homer and Jethro, and Stringbean.

My very first Jewish friend was my freshman roommate at Carolina. My own life and my family have been very enriched by the many things we’ve learned, especially in Greensboro at Guilford College and then even more so in Asheville, particularly through Delilah’s connections early on with the Jewish Cultural Center. In New York City our education continues in an accelerated pace.

Pelley saw Judaism and Communism as unified and his early career as a screenwriter had made him believe in a Jewish conspiracy to control minds. That’s what he brought to Asheville in 1932. Perhaps his brand of hate couldn’t compete with NC’s homegrown Klan brand. Pelley tried for the KKK’s base just the same, wrapping himself in Christian Nationalism. He believed that FDR and The New Deal were products of Jewish puppetry and in 1936, under the banner of his Christian Party, ran very unsuccessfully for president.

Rather than being in The South, Pelley’s followers were mainly located in the West and Midwest and probably numbered 15,000 at their height in 1935. Still, his headquarters was in Asheville and he ran a correspondence school called Galahad College out of a building at the corner of Charlotte St. and Sunset Parkway and a printing press out of the “Biltmore-Oteen Bank Building” downtown. Emulating Mussolini’s Black Shirts and Hitler’s Brown Shirts, Pelley recruited his own thugs and called them The Silver Legion, or Silver Shirts for short.

“Silver symbolizes the purity of our fight,” he proclaimed, “and the purity of our race.” The Silver Shirts, he vowed, would wage “the ultimate contest for existence between Aryan mankind and Jewry.” Jews, Pelley maintained, were the source of all the world’s supposed evils, from Communism to ‘Hebrew Jazz.’ He wrote that “in Washington, ‘Jewish vampires’ were pulling the levers of power through their pawn, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt.” (See Jon Elliston at this Link: “New Age Nazi,” New Age Nazi )

Pelley’s fascism eventually became too overt — a perception that was fine-tuned by the examples of that worldview in Italy and Germany but ultimately was only deemed seditious enough for action as the World War 2 clouds gathered and Anti-Fascist sentiment in The Greatest Generation awoke. He certainly dreamed of, and spoke and wrote of a takeover and an anti-Constitutional Democratic Republican dictatorship but his Silver Shirts never attacked. Pelley presided over no January 6. Nevertheless, he served 8 years in prison on numerous charges related to conspiring to overthrow the government and foment insurrection — charges for which he was certainly guilty. His fascism was deemed intolerable. How times can change. How times have changed. He died on July 30, 1965.

#OTD (July 30) in 1965 William Dudley Pelley died. The Massachusetts Fascist spread Racist, Christian, Nationalist Hate From his #AVL base in the 1930s via the press and his #GalahadCollege. His followers were called #SilverShirts.” After a 1940 fraud conviction in N.C. he moved to Indiana. He was convicted of sedition and treason in 1942. Released in 1952 he recouped his energy and pushed a UFO-centered cult that he called ‘Soulcraft’ until his death. Asheville Fascist and Presidential Candidate William Dudley Pelley

Attachments

• IMG_3925.jpeg
    IMG_3925.jpeg
    358 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for the history lesson, Padre. I don’t think I had heard of him before.

Growing up in NC Appalachia, to my knowledge I had never met a Jewish person until I got to UNC. I had my first bagel in an 8 am recitation my freshman year when the TA brought them for the souls who actually showed up for the recitation. Since it was only a handful of us, he chatted with us that morning and eventually just sat on top of the table of the front of the room to ask us about our backgrounds.

All of us students were from NC and he was from NY and he just asked us if we knew many Jewish people in our towns. Some had but several of us had not, and he proceeded to talk about being Jewish in NYC and what an adjustment it had been for him to come to graduate school in Chapel Hill and how it had opened his eyes once he finally started traveling the state outside Chapel Hill where he frequently found no signs of Judaism. It hadn’t even occurred to me that he might be Jewish until he started talking but it was eye-opening to hear about NC from his perspective. Anyway, a well-spent recitation.

My wife is Jewish and our kids our being raised, and identify as, Jewish. So I now find myself pretty immersed in Jewish tradition.

I live, and grew up in, Charlotte, where Jewish people have played a very prominent role in contributing to and bulding the city. The Levines and Blumenthals are some of the most well known, but there have been many others.

Despite the considerable contributions from members of the Jewish community toward the greater community for the past 100+ years, there was not a particularly sizable Jewish community in Charlotte until the past 40ish years or so. Before then, it was a small, very closely knit community, where if you were Jewish, you knew every single Jewish person in town.

My wife’s aunt moved to Charlotte from NYC in 1972 (my wife just happened to move to Charlotte by coincidence, as a result of working for a bank). There was considerable culture shock for her back then. It’s funny, because my mom experienced culture shock moving to Charlotte in 1973 after having grown up in a small town in upstate NY, so I can’t imagine how it must have felt for a Jewish person from NYC at the time.

Back