Chat GPT on Gen X

#2 doesn't resonate with me but the rest are pretty accurate
2 definitely resonates with me solely for Vinyl — we’ve got a pretty large Vinyl collection and recently introduced our Gen Z son to the vinyl experience; but no nostalgia for cassettes except to laugh about how bad they were and the hilarity of having an 8-track adapter to listen to cassettes in my car

But my husband and I are 1960s Gen-Xers, so our music and pop culture nostalgia is much more ‘70s and ‘90s, with more disdain for the ‘80s. I think Gen-X really is two sub-generations and find that folks too young to recall a 1970s childhood tend to be more like older Millenials.

2 definitely resonates with me solely for Vinyl — we’ve got a pretty large Vinyl collection and recently introduced our Gen Z son to the vinyl experience; but no nostalgia for cassettes except to laugh about how bad they were and the hilarity of having an 8-track adapter to listen to cassettes in my car

But my husband and I are 1960s Gen-Xers, so our music and pop culture nostalgia is much more ‘70s and ‘90s, with more disdain for the ‘80s. I think Gen-X really is two sub-generations and find that folks too young to recall a 1970s childhood tend to be more like older Millenials.
Would agree with that! I'm '78 so the 80s are nothing but fondness and I don't remember the 70s

It was a big leap of faith when I got rid of my cd and dvd collection. Realized I hadn't used physical media in years and no longer even had a player at home or in any of our cars.

2 definitely resonates with me as well. I was born in 1975. I’ve pretty much given up analog now, but I was fairly late to do it. I never collected vinyl but I have fiends my age who do. That said, I do have a wall in my house on which some of my favorite albums on vinyl are framed.

It was a big leap of faith when I got rid of my cd and dvd collection. Realized I hadn't used physical media in years and no longer even had a player at home or in any of our cars.
I still have my CD collection, which consists of A LOT CDs. But it’s stored away (whereas it used to be on full display taking up an entire wall). I no longer have a CD player attached to a sound system, however. I stopped buying CDs around 2011ish.

Funny enough, I was also fairly late to buying CDs. I was still buying cassette tapes well into 1994. I got my first CD player for my birthday in 1994 and finally switched over. It was getting more difficult to find music I wanted on cassette and I had to concede that CDs both sounded a lot better and had much better ease of use.

I still have my CD collection, which consists of A LOT CDs. But it’s stored away (whereas it used to be on full display taking up an entire wall). I no longer have a CD player attached to a sound system, however. I stopped buying CDs around 2011ish.

Funny enough, I was also fairly late to buying CDs. I was still buying cassette tapes well into 1994. I got my first CD player for my birthday in 1994 and finally switched over. It was getting more difficult to find music I wanted on cassette and I had to concede that CDs both sounded a lot better and had much better ease of use.
Same. Mine are all in the attic. I am still missing the Chronic - someone stole it in college!
But I ripped them to mp3s years ago. I use iBroadcast to have all my mp3s available on my phone, etc. Pretty great app (and free). But I still prefer to buy music versus stream it on Spotify or something. If I have a song I really like I will buy it and throw the artist some change

I am barely gen X, born in '67.

Number two doesn't really work for me. I love digital. However, I do appreciate the electro-mechanical beauty of a record player; a kid can learn a lot by watching one. On the other hand, I hate magnetic tape.

I don't think seven works for me, except for video games and silly tech gadgets. I have no interest in them.

Also, no cable, but I still occasionally read the paper.

60s gen Xer here, and I'm here to tell you the 80s sucked! The fashion sucked. The music sucked. The Alex P. Keton / Gordon Gekko ethos sucked. Imagine trying to graduate high school with Huey ******* Lewis and the News blaring at you all day. I'm am still bitter (if you can't tell) about having to come of age in such a sucky decade.

Would agree with that! I'm '78 so the 80s are nothing but fondness and I don't remember the 70s
I had a horrible realization that Take me Out and Mr. Brightside are as far away from someone born today as Chantilly Lace and Rockin Robin were from when we were born. I probably had heard both of those songs a fair amount by the time I was 10 years old. As will a baby born today will probably hear Franz Ferdinand and the Killers a fair amount by the time they are ten.

The difference is that the 2004 ish era will feel archaic to them and they will likely have less than a five percent chance of knowing who the Big Bopper was.

Time is so disorienting through perception.

Hell the 80s sucked so bad they made Neil Young suck. Pre 80s Neil? Iconic. Post 80s Neil? Iconic

80s Neil? Neil Young and the Shocking Pinks whatever the **** that was...

Last of the baby boomers here. I can't relate or be bothered to try to relate to people born 8 months after me.

Too busy listening to my far superior music

This just shows that ChatGPT doesn't actually know anything. Those items are just a list of things that will always be true about a generation. Every generation likes its music. Every generation uses its slang. And then there's what I call Economist-speak (magazine, not profession):

"While they are tech-savvy, having adapted to the digital age, they may still exhibit a degree of caution or skepticism toward new technology. They might fondly remember the time before smartphones and social media dominated everyday life."

This sentence is almost perfectly meaningless. "While they are X, they might also be somewhat the opposite of X." I call that The Economist because -- for a while at least -- the headline and first paragraph of nearly every article in that publication had that structure.

Oh, and if someone wants to point a finger at "neoliberalism," The Economist is a great target. I will concede that "neo-liberalism" has meaning insofar as it applies to The Economist.

I had a horrible realization that Take me Out and Mr. Brightside are as far away from someone born today as Chantilly Lace and Rockin Robin were from when we were born. I probably had heard both of those songs a fair amount by the time I was 10 years old. As will a baby born today will probably hear Franz Ferdinand and the Killers a fair amount by the time they are ten.

The difference is that the 2004 ish era will feel archaic to them and they will likely have less than a five percent chance of knowing who the Big Bopper was.

Time is so disorienting through perception.
Here are some interesting things to put in perspective:

Public Enemy’s “It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back” was released on 1988. That’s 36 years ago. 36 years before that, the had still not been a rock n roll song to appear on the Billboard charts.

Hip Hop/rap music was brand new around 1980. It has now been around longer than rock n roll was around (by more than decade) when the first full length studio rap album was released in 1980 (Sugar Hill Gang).

Hell the 80s sucked so bad they made Neil Young suck. Pre 80s Neil? Iconic. Post 80s Neil? Iconic

80s Neil? Neil Young and the Shocking Pinks whatever the **** that was...
A lot of great music artists from the 1960s and early-1970s put out some amazingly awful and cheesy music in 1980s.

That said, there was still a lot of great music in the 1980s. It was just mainly played on college radio.

60s gen Xer here, and I'm here to tell you the 80s sucked! The fashion sucked. The music sucked. The Alex P. Keton / Gordon Gekko ethos sucked. Imagine trying to graduate high school with Huey ******* Lewis and the News blaring at you all day. I'm am still bitter (if you can't tell) about having to come of age in such a sucky decade.
Half Baked Boo GIF

Back