Congress Catch-All | T - 12 Days to Shutdown | CR with SAVE Act fails in House 9/18

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 62
  • Views: 1K
  • Politics 
Registration is done by the states. Requirements vary but some form of official ID or verification is usually required. It can be DMV, military, or an official government document verifying your name and residence address, such as a passport. Here in VA it can be a current student or employee photograph ID.
How do those prove citizenship?

Why House Republicans still can’t manage to fund the government​

Internal conflicts and a narrow majority make each spending fight a pitched battle.

"...Johnson’s measure would extend government funding into March — longer than Democrats and even some Republicans prefer — and tacks on provisions requiring proof of citizenship to register to vote that election officials say are unnecessary and Democrats say they can’t accept.

Many House Republicans consider the effort futile, since a solid block of GOP opponents remain unpersuaded to vote for any temporary funding extension and the Democratic-led Senate and White House have already rejected the plan. If all lawmakers are present and voting, Republicans can only lose four votes from their conference to pass a bill.

It all but sets up another fight between Republicans who want to prove to voters they can govern ahead of Election Day and others who would rather see Johnson fight aggressively for conservative policies — even if it means shutting the government down and risking their majority. The internal standoff could once again tarnish Republican efforts to send Johnson into bipartisan negotiations with the credibility to seek concessions ahead of the looming deadline.

... Even Senate Republicans are growing antsy. Sen. John Boozman (R-Ark.), who sits on the Senate Appropriations Committee, said the lower chamber had until the beginning of this week to show signs of progress or the Senate would need to craft its own bill — probably without any of the conservative policies that House Republicans demand. ..."

Nobody has ever said how one would prove their citizenship. The only ways I know are showing a birth certificate, naturalization papers, or a US Passport (which required one of those two documents to obtain.) If there are other ways to prove you're a citizen, I'm all ears.

Also, if either of your parents is a citizen, you are automatically a citizen.
For most legal or governmental forms of identification, one of those mentioned is typically required so you don't have to prove citizenship over and over again.
It's left to the individual states to register voters. Kinda like the requirements to get an abortion.

Great chance this is the real October Surprise, and it’s not likely to be a good one for the Pubs. That’s what you get for choosing a lightweight to be speaker.
Agreed. This, coupled with the interest rate reduction, are two major events that are working against the republicans.

Senate Republicans block IVF bill for a second time ...

"Senate Republicans on Tuesday blocked an election-season bid by Democrats to advance legislation that would guarantee federal protections and insurance coverage for in vitro fertilization treatments, the second time in three months that the G.O.P. has thwarted the broadly popular measure.

Democrats orchestrated the failed vote, just weeks before the November elections, in part to highlight Republican opposition to abortion rights and its implications for access to other reproductive health care services.

... All but two Republicans present — Senators Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Susan Collins of Maine, both of whom support abortion rights — voted against allowing the I.V.F. access bill to move forward, leaving Democrats nine votes short of the 60 necessary to begin debating it. The last time Republicans blocked the legislation in June, Ms. Murkowski and Ms. Collins were also the only G.O.P. lawmakers to cross party lines and vote to move the measure forward.

... Democrats and reproductive rights advocates have dismissed the Republican bill [proposed by Cruz] as a pretense to cover up the G.O.P.’s refusal to safeguard I.V.F. They note that it does not explicitly bar states from restricting I.V.F. treatments, including imposing severe limits that stop just short of a ban.

Ms. Murray objected, calling Mr. Cruz’s bill “a hollow gesture” that “would still allow states to regulate I.V.F. out of existence.”

“This bill is silent on fetal personhood, which is the biggest threat to I.V.F.,” she added."

Back