Cover Songs Featuring Highly Skilled Musicians

• Thread starter Thread starter an0maly
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 287
  • Views: 3K

an0maly

A post I saw in another thread very indirectly prompted the idea for this one, and as I have frequently gone down the rabbit hole of YouTube cover songs (they somewhat exploded during Covid), I want to see and hear what others enjoy.

I could pick from so many dozens, but will pick one from the finest cover "band" I have ever come across. Further, had they not existed I would have said the cover songs they create were completely impossible for anyone. The Dutch group of classical musicians called The Analogues recreate-live on stage--exactly, the studio masterpieces of The Beatles. I need to repeat that: the studio versions, made often with the help of "the fifth Beatle," genius George Martin, played live in concert. What they do in the fidelity of the results no less than extends what humans can do, from my perspective, as performing artists. Just to grab an example of so many:

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favorite covers is Roberta Flack doing "Killing Me Softly With His Song." The original version is a) not as good, b) was written/performed by Lori Lieberman, c) was written in response to seeing a performance by Don McLean.

ETA: Roberta Flack's version won the Grammy for Record of the Year and Best Performance, Pop, by a Female Vocalist.

Link: Killing Me Softly with His Song - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Not a major Fleetwood Mac fan myself. But my sister (huge fan) just saw these folks in Durham last week. Endorsed by Mick Fleetwood.

A post I saw in another thread very indirectly prompted the idea for this one, and as I have frequently gone down the rabbit hole of YouTube cover songs (they somewhat exploded during Covid), I want to see and hear what others enjoy.

I could pick from so many dozens, but will pick one from the finest cover "band" I have ever come across. Further, had they not existed I would have said the cover songs they create were completely impossible for anyone. The Dutch group of classical musicians called The Analogues recreate-live on stage--exactly, the studio masterpieces of The Beatles. I need to repeat that: the studio versions, made often with the help of "the fifth Beatle," genius George Martin, played live in concert. What they do in the fidelity of the results no less than extends what humans can do, from my perspective, as performing artists. Just to grab an example of so many:

If they sound exactly like a Beatles album, why not just listen to the Beatles album and save yourself the $20 admission or whatever?

I think the best covers are the ones that bands make their own. The essence of the song is preserved, but it's been modified into something new. For instance:

If they sound exactly like a Beatles album, why not just listen to the Beatles album and save yourself the $20 admission or whatever?

I think the best covers are the ones that bands make their own. The essence of the song is preserved, but it's been modified into something new. For instance:

IMO, the best "make it your own" cover is this one:

IMO, the best "make it your own" cover is this one:

Yea. I respect that was genuinely attempting to make art instead of a photocopy. I don't happen to like his version all that much, but that's neither here nor there. He's trying, and obviously some people dig it.

Does this need to be "cover bands" doing cover songs... or can this include legit stars (and recording acts in their own right) covering other band's material? If so, I present Jackson Brown in 2010 "covering" a John Lennon song

A cover, in my opinion, is hard to be successful at because so many expect it to sound like the original or not take away from the original.
But, I, like you, really appreciate a cover that is new and equal to better than the original.

I posted Johnny Cash's version and NIN version of Hurt on the other thread. I really like both versions of that song.

Back