Covid Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter tonman
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 87
  • Views: 2K
  • Politics 
Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

Joking aside, the most toxic thread on Phog.net years after Covid lockdown was the Covid thread.

I wish we could pull the original COVID thread for IC over here for saving. A great time capsule.
Maybe about 25% of the total thread pages are worth saving, that's about it. In addition to lynch, folks like poorman, jortsforall, and some other DYOR poasters diluted down the quality of those COVID-19 threads quite badly.

My lasting memory from COVID is from work. I ran a hospital IT department of about 40 at the time, and because of that most of our staff worked onsite through COVID.

Two of our system administrators shared an office, and got COVID at the same time. One took the vaccine and one (hardcore Trumper) didn’t. Within 3 weeks of catching it, the one who did was back at work, the other was dead. And we’re talking a guy in his 40’s who played football in college, good shape, no long list of high risk factors.

Totally unnecessary.

Lotta COVID going around right now, both my parents got it a couple weeks ago
Five day nurses on my primary unit out of maybe 20, and about 10/70 in my department contracted it in the last two weeks. All pretty mild, but did have an elderly patient come in for an ENT surgery and die due to COVID complications. It still appears more problematic than most run of the mill pneumonia causing infections, despite the fact most people have very mild symptoms. Hell, my system no longer requires days off if you test positive and are asymptomatic, only that you wear an N95 for five days.

I just recovered from my second bout with CoVid. I suffered from it around the exact same time as President Biden. The lack of energy, the lethargy in recovery was difficult. I’m 65. I can see where an 81 year old may not have been up to a live presser to announce he’s stepping down last Sunday, but instead announces via an online platform.

And to all the naysayers who complained about his choice of delivery in that moment, I hope you recover not quite as quickly as I did, when you get CoVid this time around.

Good point. I'll definitely leave this thread. The old one nearly made me lose faith in humanity. It was a toxic stew of commentary from armchair virologists and doctors; bad faith arguments from all political perspectives; mis-ascribing blame to political figures to win arguments; and misbegotten persecution complexes and suffering-exceptionalism, as though we all didn't lose loved ones and get sick ourselves. Anything that was to be learned from that era was exhaustively dead-horsed at least two years ago.

The only purpose of a covid thread in 2024 is to pointlessly share ones personal clinical information with the general public; i.e. "tested positive this morning; mild symptoms; hope my great aunt who has cancer doesn't get sick, etc."

Good point. I'll definitely leave this thread. The old one nearly made me lose faith in humanity. It was a toxic stew of commentary from armchair virologists and doctors; bad faith arguments from all political perspectives; mis-ascribing blame to political figures to win arguments; and misbegotten persecution complexes and suffering-exceptionalism, as though we all didn't lose loved ones and get sick ourselves. Anything that was to be learned from that era was exhaustively dead-horsed at least two years ago.

The only purpose of a covid thread in 2024 is to pointlessly share ones personal clinical information with the general public; i.e. "tested positive this morning; mild symptoms; hope my great aunt who has cancer doesn't get sick, etc."
I didn’t say leave the thread. I said leave the site.

Support for COVID mitigation efforts and vaccinations will happen routinely on this site. If those bother you, you might want to leave the site.

Back