Covid Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter tonman
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 87
  • Views: 2K
  • Politics 
I didn’t say leave the thread. I said leave the site.

Support for COVID mitigation efforts and vaccinations will happen routinely on this site. If those bother you, you might want to leave the site.
C’mon, now, ignoring a thread that you know will raise your blood pressure while participating on other threads seems like a good solution to me.

I just finished my fourth bout of COVID. Was more of an annoyance than anything else; had a day of body aches and then what felt like a head cold for another 3 days. I'm fully vaccinated and had two boosters. I plan on getting the latest booster this fall. Thankful for that because every time I have had COVID it has been mild (knock on wood). Some of my friends and colleagues who refused to get vaccinated were absolutely miserable when they caught COVID; two were hospitalized and nearly died. I lost friendships from 2020-2022 over the "it is just the flu" or "it is a plandemic" nonsense. Good riddance. I was working for a major hospital at the time and saw firsthand how horrific it was, particularly during the Delta wave.

Good point. I'll definitely leave this thread. The old one nearly made me lose faith in humanity. It was a toxic stew of commentary from armchair virologists and doctors; bad faith arguments from all political perspectives; mis-ascribing blame to political figures to win arguments; and misbegotten persecution complexes and suffering-exceptionalism, as though we all didn't lose loved ones and get sick ourselves. Anything that was to be learned from that era was exhaustively dead-horsed at least two years ago.

The only purpose of a covid thread in 2024 is to pointlessly share ones personal clinical information with the general public; i.e. "tested positive this morning; mild symptoms; hope my great aunt who has cancer doesn't get sick, etc."
This is a forum. Now you want to dictate forum content too?

Is everyone still doing an annual vax? I have done it with my flu shot the past 2 years. Guess I'll do the same again this fall, but not sure if that is still the consensus given current strains going around?

Is everyone still doing an annual vax? I have done it with my flu shot the past 2 years. Guess I'll do the same again this fall, but not sure if that is still the consensus given current strains going around?

If they recommend it, sure. I don't like getting sick

Yes. And highly recommended - give the immune system as many "cheat codes" as possible in handling the SARS-CoV2 variants. COVID pathology is built upon the high replication rate of the virus, the tendency of angiotensin II biochemistry to form nasty positive feedback loops, amplifying and lengthening pathology. thus viral load can persist for 3+ weeks with COVID, where it's 3-5 days with a cold or flu. Vaccines reduce and shorten viral load.

After 5 1/2 years of dodging Covid, I finally got sick on Saturday. Thought it was allergies as I had been doing some yard work and I'm typically pretty sensitive to grasses and stuff like that. It got worse on Sunday and turns out it was indeed Covid.

Yesterday was pretty rough with the symptoms but today it's mostly back down to what feels like really bad allergies + fatigue.

After 5 1/2 years of dodging Covid, I finally got sick on Saturday. Thought it was allergies as I had been doing some yard work and I'm typically pretty sensitive to grasses and stuff like that. It got worse on Sunday and turns out it was indeed Covid.

Yesterday was pretty rough with the symptoms but today it's mostly back down to what feels like really bad allergies + fatigue.
Right there with you. Caught it on my flight to Michigan. Have spent the first week of vacation holed up in the boat house. Wife gets all the in-law time and I get to watch the Olympics and do remote work.

Caught first case two years ago and it lasted just a day. This one has lasted five days, though only had a fever for the first three days and never over 102.

I said this on the original covid thread but it bears repeating. The 1918 flu pandemic definitely killed a higher percentage of Americans but covid was a much worse pandemic if everything was equal.

In 1918, if you had a severe case of flu they basically put you in a high school gymnasium and gave you chicken soup and tepid sponge baths. If you turned blue and died, it was out the back with you and your bed was taken by another.

In 2022 we have steroids, antibiotics, ventilators, immunizations by the second year and by far most importantly oxygen. In round figures we had over 1 million dead Americans from covid. Most of those were elderly and in poor health. The younger, healthier patients who got critically ill had a very good chance of recovery. The number of true tragedies were therefore much lower than what happened in 1918. Almost EVERYONE that was hospitalized over the course of covid would have died in 1918 because there was no oxygen. Nobody was hospitalized if they were not by definition deathly ill. They would have turned blue and died. That would have been more like 4 million Americans in round terms. Had we not allowed the spread until the vaccine was developed which protected a large percentage of the population by the second year that would have been even higher.

We have the luxury of this being a political discussion only due to the health care system and the hard work of all the people who cared for the sick which made it simply horrible and not unimaginably horrific.

Last edited:

Hope you’re feeling better.

I’m impressed you’ve been dodging Covid-19 for 5 1/2 years……that takes us back to February 2019.

Almost my exact situation. Hadn't gotten it yet, did yard work Saturday and thought I got heat exhaustion and was super fatigued and achey. Woke up Sunday morning with pretty sever dizziness and did a covid test and it was positive. Don't actually feel sick though, just feel off.

Almost my exact situation. Hadn't gotten it yet, did yard work Saturday and thought I got heat exhaustion and was super fatigued and achey. Woke up Sunday morning with pretty sever dizziness and did a covid test and it was positive. Don't actually feel sick though, just feel off.
Glad your symptoms are not too bad.

The confusing part for me is that I work from home and don't get in close contact with people other than my wife (who is not sick). The only thing I can think of is last Monday I had a dentist appointment...maybe the lady who cleaned my teeth was carrying it or something.

Glad your symptoms are not too bad.

The confusing part for me is that I work from home and don't get in close contact with people other than my wife (who is not sick). The only thing I can think of is last Monday I had a dentist appointment...maybe the lady who cleaned my teeth was carrying it or something.
it apparently tore through my dentist's office last may infecting the dentists and hygienists. my appointment got cancelled, but can't imagine how many people they infected before my appointment.

the office went back to masking after that, but they were using surgical masks instead of n95, which don't really help so much.

Maybe about 25% of the total thread pages are worth saving, that's about it. In addition to lynch, folks like poorman, jortsforall, and some other DYOR poasters diluted down the quality of those COVID-19 threads quite badly.
I don't know. Dr. Lynch & associates' input would give those in the future a nice insight into the deluded, suicidal hysteria of some at the time. Maybe their contributions could carry an asterisk to denote that their science-free batshittery contributed to the completely unnecessary deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent American lives.

Back