Covid Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter tonman
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 87
  • Views: 2K
  • Politics 
Almost my exact situation. Hadn't gotten it yet, did yard work Saturday and thought I got heat exhaustion and was super fatigued and achey. Woke up Sunday morning with pretty sever dizziness and did a covid test and it was positive. Don't actually feel sick though, just feel off.
Neither my wife nor I have had it.

Knock Knock Good Luck GIF by StickerGiant

However, my four kids have gotten mild cases of it.

i had it a few weeks ago.....mild headache for about 10 days.....days 2-4 were the worst, body aches and sore throat and felt feverish but never ran higher than 99 and still worked a half day all 3 days. not as bad as the other times ive had it at all, my symptoms responded pretty well to regular old ibuprofen.

i've had it twice before this for sure, maybe 3 times.....i was EXTREMELY ill with all the typical covid symptoms for like 2 weeks in early march 2020 after doing a bunch of traveling in late february, i was in 8 airports during a 2 week span but they were only testing people who had been in italy in china at that point and i just had mexican and domestic travel so no test given.

anyway, this current variant doesn't seem as bad as earlier ones.

I either never had it or had really mild cases of it until recently - we went on a cruise and the day after we got home I felt awful - really congested and zero energy - the next day I took a test and sure enough it came back positive

i had it a few weeks ago.....mild headache for about 10 days.....days 2-4 were the worst, body aches and sore throat and felt feverish but never ran higher than 99 and still worked a half day all 3 days. not as bad as the other times ive had it at all, my symptoms responded pretty well to regular old ibuprofen.

i've had it twice before this for sure, maybe 3 times.....i was EXTREMELY ill with all the typical covid symptoms for like 2 weeks in early march 2020 after doing a bunch of traveling in late february, i was in 8 airports during a 2 week span but they were only testing people who had been in italy in china at that point and i just had mexican and domestic travel so no test given.

anyway, this current variant doesn't seem as bad as earlier ones.
Very similar though my bout started late last week. At first thought it was just issues with the Saharan Dust here, but with low grade fever on Saturday, tested and I was positive. Temp never got above 99.8 and controlled with Tylenol. Ran through a couple of boxes of Kleenex.

Contrasted with summer of 2022 when I felt like I had been run over by a Mack truck with fever up to 101.5 and slept for like 16 hours a day.

This was also a product of COVID. Dirty Logic is a Steely Dan tribute band from Asheville. They did this during the quarantine.

It's amazing to me how many of these quarantine performances sound so good. The mixes are always really tight and the vibe sometimes sounds better than if all the musicians were in the same room together.
Vhs Kiss GIF by vhspositive

It's amazing to me how many of these quarantine performances sound so good. The mixes are always really tight and the vibe sometimes sounds better than if all the musicians were in the same room together.
Vhs Kiss GIF by vhspositive
I particularly like how the horn players are drinking beer between horn segments and I love the cat on the keyboard players lap and how he jumps off during the solo.

Feel like crap s8nce Tuesday mid day. Just got tested and I have Covid. Must have picked it up on airplane or airports coming back stateside.

How do I schedule a consult with the esteemed Dr. Lynch?
Srsly - sorry to hear that and feel better soon, KH.

And:
Lynch34IC.jpg

Covid seems to have become the respiratory virus that spreads like wildfire in the summer (as opposed to the common cold and flu, which spread between fall and early spring). Maybe I’m wrong, but over the past couple years, the vast majority of cases I hear about among people I know are during the summer (and my wife and I got it last summer). Sucks if we added another season for increased chances of catching respiratory virus, and even worse that it’s a season where we tend to schedule more vacations.

JAMA Pediatrics has retracted a controversial 2023 paper on the incidence of long COVID in children after the authors discovered a raft of “coding” errors in their analysis that greatly underestimated the risk of the condition.

The article – a research letter titled “Post–COVID-19 Condition in Children” – was written by a group of researchers in Canada led by Lyndsey Hahn, of the University of Alberta, in Edmonton. It has been cited eight times, according to Clarivate Analytics’ Web of Science, and garnered significant attention on mainstream and social media sites, including by critics who said the authors fatally botched the definition of long COVID.

According to the authors, the incidence of long covid in kids was “strikingly low”, occurring in just 0.4% of young patients. Symptoms of infection in kids typically resolve within two weeks, they added.

But those reassuring findings hinged on several errors in the analysis that made the incidence of long COVID in children look less than a third of what the researchers should have reported.

Per the retraction notice, signed by senior author Piush Mandhane:

Since publication, we have identified methodological (analytical) errors in our original report that impacted our estimate of the prevalence of post–COVID-19 condition (PCC) in children and adolescents and our reported associations between pre- and post–COVID-19 symptoms.
One coding error led to the miscategorization of children for whom data were missing to be considered asymptomatic. Another error led to the exclusion of 15 children because of a mistaken date cut-off.

In addition, we originally reported a study sample of children between 8 and 13 years of age. We subsequently identified participants with COVID-19 (cases) who were recruited between 1 and 7.49 years and 14.5 and 19 years of age. These participants were included in the original PCC analysis. We had concluded that the incidence of PCC was 0.4% (1/271). In correcting these errors, we found that the incidence of PCC was 1.4% (4/286).
The researchers also identified coding errors affecting their analysis of symptoms before and after infection, and in the duration of fevers.

In correcting these errors, we found that pre–COVID-19 headache, fever, and fatigue were associated with post–COVID-19 symptoms of the same. However, pre–COVID-19 cough, rhinitis, and sore throat were not associated with post–COVID-19 symptoms of the same.
The notice concludes with an apology to the readers and editors of the journal, and states all seven authors agreed with the decision to retract the work.

The retraction is the latest of more than 400 involving papers about COVID-19, by our count.

It's crazy how fast time has been flying since Covid came along. Feels like it was 2020 yesterday, but we're only a few months away from 2025. 🫠

Jeffrey Jenks, the medical director of the Durham County Department of Public Health, noted in an interview with the INDY last week, since most people aren’t getting PCR tests and official diagnoses anymore, it's tough for the government to track case rates.

As an alternative, Jenks says, experts are using proxy data—namely, data from wastewater treatment plants—to gauge the prevalence of the virus in certain areas.

The most recent data entries into North Carolina’s wastewater monitoring dashboard are a bit startling. This month in Durham, the virus was detected at record-high levels. Wastewater data from other parts of the Triangle also show recent spikes.

“The good news is, despite a lot of virus being detected in wastewater, we’re not seeing a huge increase in emergency department visits and hospitalizations,” Jenks says. “That speaks to the fact that a lot of people have gotten COVID previously, sometimes multiple times, and a lot of people have gotten vaccines and/or boosters, so there’s just a lot of built-up immunity. People are getting COVID, but they’re not getting as sick.”

The updated COVID vaccine will be available within the next four to six weeks.

From the 'Independent Weekly' Daily Newsletter

Wastewater Monitoring Dashboard: Wastewater Monitoring Dashboard | NC COVID-19

Durham Experiencing Record-High Levels of COVID-19

Back