Democratic National Convention August 19-22 (Chicago) - Kamala DNC speech got 22% more viewer than Trump RNC speech

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 1K
  • Views: 26K
IMO it's fairly troubling that the DNC is giving so much spotlight to self-proclaimed former Republicans, who are likely to be future Republicans just as soon as somebody not named Trump but with all the same beliefs and policies is on the ticket, and shutting out and shutting down the people who

a) are responsible for setting in motion the events that have led to the current momentum for Dems;
b) have been key constituents of the Dem voter base for generations; and
c) have a very clearly righteous humanitarian cause;

It will be disappointing if the takeaway from this DNC, as energetic and hopeful as it has been in the moment, is that the party is running backwards and towards the center rather than riding this emergent wave of progress.
Something about a forest and trees …

IMO it's fairly troubling that the DNC is giving so much spotlight to self-proclaimed former Republicans, who are likely to be future Republicans just as soon as somebody not named Trump but with all the same beliefs and policies is on the ticket, and shutting out and shutting down the people who

a) are responsible for setting in motion the events that have led to the current momentum for Dems;

It will be disappointing if the takeaway from this DNC, as energetic and hopeful as it has been in the moment, is that the party is running backwards and towards the center rather than riding this emergent wave of progress.
Who is an example of someone being "shut out" and "shut down" that shouldn't be?

a) you mean like the Obamas, Jeffries, Buttigieg, Shapiro, Beshear, AOC, Warnock or do you have some glaring omission?
b) like the UAW president, Jim Clyburn, Jesse Jackson or am I missing some key constituent?
c) such as?

Who is an example of someone being "shut out" and "shut down" that shouldn't be?
I struggle to imagine a clearer example of peaceful, intentional protest being shut down than this. I know I run to the left of most of this board and maybe even more so on the particular issue of Israel and Palestine, but the dichotomy between how the DNC is treating Palestinian Americans who want only to not be paying for the bullets that are killing their family versus the rapturous applause and primetime speaking positions given to "former" Republicans is, as I say, troubling.

I struggle to imagine a clearer example of peaceful, intentional protest being shut down than this. I know I run to the left of most of this board and maybe even more so on the particular issue of Israel and Palestine, but the dichotomy between how the DNC is treating Palestinian Americans who want only to not be paying for the bullets that are killing their family versus the rapturous applause and primetime speaking positions given to "former" Republicans is, as I say, troubling.
I understand that perspective but the national convention and formal roll out of the presidential ticket is not the time and place for speakers who would almost assuredly be critical of the nominee and the party. Those voices deserve to be heard and belong in the party. I have a lot of sympathy for what they're saying about the US role in Israel and Gaza and what we should be doing. But it's not reasonable to expect the DNC to give a national platform at the convention to people who want to air grievances with the party and the nominee.

It’s been obvious for a while now but damn if this cycle hasn’t brought it into stark relief. The Dems are not just talented, they’re YOUNG. I’ve never been more optimistic we’re headed to an era in which America’s actual power centers reflect the values and priorities of the entire country, not just older white men.
Yeah, but do they have anyone who can compete with a Katie Britt?

IMO it's fairly troubling that the DNC is giving so much spotlight to self-proclaimed former Republicans, who are likely to be future Republicans just as soon as somebody not named Trump but with all the same beliefs and policies is on the ticket, and shutting out and shutting down the people who...
What did Michelle say last night? We don't have time for this type of foolishness...

More likely Beyonce
That’s probably most likely. Taylor could also be possible. An intriguing dark horse would be Mike Pence. They’ve had a former Republican each night. Few things would throw Trump into an absolute rage more than to have his own VP endorse his opponent and air some laundry with millions of people watching. I don’t think Pence would go that far, but the possibility is actually more intriguing to me than a pop star (albeit the two biggest pop stars around right now).

Back