Drug Cartels-Stopping them

• Thread starter Thread starter mpaer
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 13
  • Views: 139

mpaer

Esteemed Member
ZZL Supporter
Go where you want-probably not good to say " build a wall "- if we do there are hundreds of beaches, small airports etc..
I start this because I have known several drug dealers (through prison vol work) in Central NC and they have all told me a Mexican Cartel or two is the ultimate supplier. My curiousity starts with "why can't "task forces" disrupt-ruin-these organizations ? The guys I knew made maybe $100,000 a year-they were "nothings"
I would guess LE in any given area have a pretty good idea who the Big Boys are-but can't nail them
Last point I will make is "rehab Beds" need to increase dramatically-and be Govt subsidized I get it the User is the ultimate market driver

With rehab beds you hint at a part of the solution. Treatment over incarceration. However this hinders law enforcement because if we decriminalize or legalize they can’t flip the little guy to catch someone larger and work their way up the chain.
I say legalize it all and make government the supplier, taking the power and money away by eliminating the black market. But I guess that didn’t work out so well in Portland (I think this is where they decriminalized everything but had to end that policy).
Whatever we do I think it’s proven that the lock them all up strategy isn’t working so some kind of legalization decriminalization is the only way forward.

With rehab beds you hint at a part of the solution. Treatment over incarceration. However this hinders law enforcement because if we decriminalize or legalize they can’t flip the little guy to catch someone larger and work their way up the chain.
I say legalize it all and make government the supplier, taking the power and money away by eliminating the black market. But I guess that didn’t work out so well in Portland (I think this is where they decriminalized everything but had to end that policy).
Whatever we do I think it’s proven that the lock them all up strategy isn’t working so some kind of legalization decriminalization is the only way forward.
Well, ending Prohibition eventually put the alcohol black market out of business. The longer it took states to legalize alcohol after Prohibition ended the longer the moonshiners stayed in business. California screwed up thinking they could sell legal weed for far more than the illegal market. That’s fine for people with the means to pay legal prices, but poor folks aren’t going in sone fancy weed emporium and paying 4 times what they can pay somebody they already know.

My only contribution to this thread is that I have absolutely no experience with anything you talk about but I did watch the movie Sicario and loved it.
I loved the soundtrack. I felt that the movie petered out a bit after the initial rush.

I guess the answer to "skippig" to the top lies with IRS related-money laundering, tax evasion....I guess cryto helps screw that up????

I loved the soundtrack. I felt that the movie petered out a bit after the initial rush.
I can see that. I am a film nerd, actually went to film school, so can entertain myself with just a shot of grass for 5 minutes.

Johan Johansson who did the score did a phenomenal job in his other collaborations with Denis Villeneuve, particularly Arrival. It's unfortunate that he deprived us of future great works by taking his own life. And terrible for him and his family of course.

I can see that. I am a film nerd, actually went to film school, so can entertain myself with just a shot of grass for 5 minutes.

Johan Johansson who did the score did a phenomenal job in his other collaborations with Denis Villeneuve, particularly Arrival. It's unfortunate that he deprived us of future great works by taking his own life. And terrible for him and his family of course.
FYI, I'm something of a film nerd also, though much less these days after my remarriage. I never went to film school, but I've been an avid consumer of arthouse films. One of my favorite films of all time is Tree of Life. There's not exactly a 5 minute shot of grass there but maybe the closest thing ever recorded in a major theatrical release. I'm also a huge fan of Malick's 1970s films, also fairly grass-heavy.

On the old board, a very long time ago, my handle was Fitzcarraldo. I'm sure you get that reference.

It wasn't that I thought Sicario got boring, so much as it lost its way. To tell the truth, though, I don't remember it that well so maybe my views aren't reliable.

FYI, I'm something of a film nerd also, though much less these days after my remarriage. I never went to film school, but I've been an avid consumer of arthouse films. One of my favorite films of all time is Tree of Life. There's not exactly a 5 minute shot of grass there but maybe the closest thing ever recorded in a major theatrical release. I'm also a huge fan of Malick's 1970s films, also fairly grass-heavy.

On the old board, a very long time ago, my handle was Fitzcarraldo. I'm sure you get that reference.

It wasn't that I thought Sicario got boring, so much as it lost its way. To tell the truth, though, I don't remember it that well so maybe my views aren't reliable.
I was sort of hoping you'd go back to your old Fitz handle when you came over here.

I was sort of hoping you'd go back to your old Fitz handle when you came over here.
Super has better branding. Also, the Fitz years were when my emotional health really started to deteriorate and it took me quite a while to get a decent diagnosis and the medication that has helped me. The Fitz persona became a form of escapism. I'm not eager to relive that.

One of my favorite films of all time is Tree of Life.
Roger Ebert ranked that as the best film of the aughts, just edging out Synecdoche, New York, the latter of which is certainly in my all time top 5...

I've been around for quite some time, and I remember that user name (though not really from a content point of view)!

The same GOP that is screaming about “fentanyl” and “Biden’s border” wants to defund the FBI and ATF, two agencies that are very involved with taking on the cartels. Law and order indeed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/07/25/mayo-zambada-sinaloa-cartel-arrested/
A longtime senior leader of the Sinaloa cartel, Ismael Zambada Garcia, or “El Mayo,” and a son of famed drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzmán were taken into custody Thursday
by U.S. authorities in Texas, according to senior Mexican and U.S. officials. It was a major blow to the Sinaloa federation, a global drug-trafficking syndicate considered the No. 1 supplier of fentanyl to the United States.

Back