Garbage Financial Advice Articles

aGDevil2k

Iconic Member
Somehow I constantly get Yahoo articles on retirement savings etc. I find so many of them seem to be written by novices, AI or just someone who has no idea how to be factual.

Does anyone else see more and more factually wrong "advice" out there these days?

Now, manage your tax bracket wisely. Go one dollar in income above $182,100 (based on 2023 IRS numbers) and you’ll pass from 24% to 32%. In other words, that single buck could mean the difference between paying the IRS $43,700 and $58,300 — a sizable difference.

That's 100% false. Tax brackets are on the amount above a threshold. Your entire tax liability doesn't go up 8% just because you made one dollar.

Is this bad AI or just anyone can write for Yahoo these days?

Somehow I constantly get Yahoo articles on retirement savings etc. I find so many of them seem to be written by novices, AI or just someone who has no idea how to be factual.

Does anyone else see more and more factually wrong "advice" out there these days?

Now, manage your tax bracket wisely. Go one dollar in income above $182,100 (based on 2023 IRS numbers) and you’ll pass from 24% to 32%. In other words, that single buck could mean the difference between paying the IRS $43,700 and $58,300 — a sizable difference.

That's 100% false. Tax brackets are on the amount above a threshold. Your entire tax liability doesn't go up 8% just because you made one dollar.

I hate scrolling through the news feeds. It seems like 90% of it is crap to get clicks for advertisements.

Poorly written, little information, lies, commercials after every sentence... It's amazing how bad the internet is.

Yahoo is largely an aggregator. The article you linked was written by “Moneywise” whoever the hell that is.

Yes that is ridiculous. The extra dollar is taxed at the higher rate, not everything

Yahoo Finance has some useful tools. But scroll down and see links (even on news sites) and you are getting into the clickbait/sift advertising/ or cookies that want to start driving youvto their for profit sites or pproducts.

Some news sites have these clickbait articles linked right after real news articles. But at least they have a header that says "sponsored content" or "advertisement." But most people pay no attention

Yes that is ridiculous. The extra dollar is taxed at the higher rate, not everything
So are you saying I'd have to pay 8 cents more in income tax on that extra dollar I made? 8 cents here and 8 cents there mount up after a while. If I had invested 8 cents in 1913--the year the 16th Amendment was ratified--at 6%, it would be worth over $60 today!

Just noticed the title reads Garage, I suspect you meant garbage.

It's interesting how our brain will read the word we expect sometimes instead of the word that is written.

Just noticed the title reads Garage, I suspect you meant garbage.

It's interesting how our brain will read the word we expect sometimes instead of the word that is written.
Really is wild ...I never saw it. But that's why editing your own stuff is so hard

That myth has existed for decades.

Back