Happy Labor Day, New ZZLers!

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 17
  • Views: 234
“How many hours a day do you work?” And he says, “Eight.”
“How come you don’t work eighteen hours a day? Your great grandparents did. You know why? Because in Chicago, back in 1886, four guys got hanged fighting for the eight-hour day — it was the Haymarket affair — for you.” “How many hours of week do you work?” He says, “Forty.” “How come you don’t work eighty hours, ninety hours? Because your grandparents did, and because men and women got their heads busted fighting for you for the forty-hour week, back in the thirties.” ~Studs Terkel from ‘Touch and Go: A Memoir’

“How many hours a day do you work?” And he says, “Eight.”
“How come you don’t work eighteen hours a day? Your great grandparents did. You know why? Because in Chicago, back in 1886, four guys got hanged fighting for the eight-hour day — it was the Haymarket affair — for you.” “How many hours of week do you work?” He says, “Forty.” “How come you don’t work eighty hours, ninety hours? Because your grandparents did, and because men and women got their heads busted fighting for you for the forty-hour week, back in the thirties.” ~Studs Terkel from ‘Touch and Go: A Memoir’
Love reading Studs Terkel.

Too bad we don't have paid vacations, maternity leave and paternity leave like other countries who work less hours a week.

We don't? I know some don't but many do. I have no idea of percents.
Working class doesn’t.

When my daughters were born, I didn’t work for 8-10 days - work days - I was paid all of those days…..I didn’t use an hour or day of personal time……

The first daughter was a bit sudden - she came 2 weeks before due date (although exactly when I figured she’d arrive)…….the 2nd daughter, the midwife walked me through the “birth calculation” chart and she arrived on that date…..which was two weeks prior to the due date.

I was a regional manager/director of a sizeable retail company. Our typical hourly employee? They’d have either worked or lost pay. I lost no pay. I used no vacation time….no sick time. I was
congratulated for having a child.

Thank you Democratic Gov Roy Cooper. All State employees that give birth get 8 weeks paid . Other parent gets a couple-few (?) Even the thousands andd thousands of employees that are in jobs that basically require HS He has recently added some provions for miscarriages , adoption ( I have no clue how it works for faculty )

0Poqa8A.jpeg
Happy belated Labor Day everybody!

Krafty, FMLA requires employers to offer unpaid leave of up to 12 weeks but we're one of just a handful of countries that does not guarantee any sort of paid maternity or paternity leave. There are some states that do, but it is 10 or fewer and of course NC is not one of them. I had to use short-term disability insurance which was only for 6 weeks and was maybe 50% of what I would have made working. This country has some deep unresolved hatred for women who try to work and have kids instead of just staying home with the babies. And also for some reason men who try to be good dads.

Back