Harris v. Trump Debate Thread | DEBATE DISCUSSION THREAD

I’m so nervous about it that I don’t think I’ll be able to watch it. I’ll be counting on my ZZL friends to keep me updated.

MODS: Thanks for updating thread title - I was thinking about tweaking it - since today is the big day. Should have done it a couple of days ago... appreciate you taking up my slack... :cool:

Duration: 90-minutes

Date: Tuesday, September 10,

Time: 9 p.m. ET.

Host: ABC News

Mods: David Muir & Lindsey Davis

Simulcast: PBS, FOX News, MSNBC, C-Span

Locale: National Constitution Center in Philadelphia

Audience: None

RULES

Per ABC News, both candidates have agreed to the following:

• There will be no opening statements, and Trump and Harris are not allowed to ask each other questions during the debate.

• Each candidate will only be allowed to have a pen, a pad of paper, and a water bottle at their identically sized podiums.

• No props or prewritten notes are allowed, and neither candidate can interact with their staff members during the two commercial breaks.

• The candidates get two minutes for each answer and rebuttal, and one minute for follow-ups, clarifications, and responses to rebuttals.

• At the end of the debate, they will each have two minutes for a closing statement. Trump will go last (he got to choose after winning a pre-debate coin toss).

This stupid form could be a real issue for Harris:

Can Trump stay on topic?​

Can Harris separate herself from Biden?​

Will either of them fill in the blanks on their policy plans?​

Will the muted microphones matter?​

Which issues will each candidate try to steer the debate toward?​

A conservative boycott of Disney World will be about as effective as the Southern Baptist boycott about twenty or so years ago. It didn't seem to hurt Disney at all, and lots of Southern Baptist families still found their way there.
Also the right wing has supposedly boycotted Disney like three times since Trump was elected...

Going to be honest, I feel the weight of media expectation and scrutiny is going to be too much for Kamala. Anything short of throwing a shutout no-hitter will be seen as failure with every misstep being magnified to ludicrous levels because the media will need something to talk about and they long ago ran out of the ability to be shock or even interested in Trump's behavior.

I have an objection to the thread title. It plays into the "politics is a game where I cheer on my team" narrative, which I think is tone deaf due to how consequential this election is . Maybe we change the thread title?

Going to be honest, I feel the weight of media expectation and scrutiny is going to be too much for Kamala. Anything short of throwing a shutout no-hitter will be seen as failure with every misstep being magnified to ludicrous levels because the media will need something to talk about and they long ago ran out of the ability to be shock or even interested in Trump's behavior.
I think this is where I'm at as well. Maybe it's PTSD from the last debate. It's probably moreso the uncertainty around how Harris will do. There's not an ounce of uncertainty around Trump's performance. Everyone knows he'll bluster, lie, bully, word salad, etc.

Back