Housing Issues (f/k/a Harris Economic Agenda Speech)

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 196
  • Views: 3K

nycfan

Curator/Moderator
ZZL Supporter

“… Harris will propose plans to stop data firms from driving up lease rates and plans aimed at stopping Wall Street investors from buying up and reselling homes in bulk at a higher price, according to the proposal.

As part of the rollout, Harris will call on Congress to pass the Preventing the Algorithmic Facilitation of Rental Housing Cartels Act, a bill introduced by Sens. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., and Peter Welch, D-Vt., that they said would prevent corporate landlords from using private equity-backed price-setting tools to raise rents dramatically in communities across the country.

Harris will also call on Congress to pass the Stop Predatory Investing Act, a bill introduced by Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, and several other Democratic senators. The bill is designed to stop communities from being taken advantage of by Wall Street investors and distant landlords. The bill would curtail those practices by removing key tax benefits for major investors who acquire large numbers of single-family rental homes.

… Harris also plans to express support for the ongoing efforts by the Biden administration to “expand rental assistance for Americans including for veterans, boost housing supply for those without homes, enforce fair housing laws, and make sure corporate landlords can’t use taxpayer dollars to unfairly rip off renters.” …”

“…
The vice president and Democratic nominee will propose restoring the expanded child tax credit of up to $3,600 a child, which was put in place in 2021 amid the Covid-19 pandemic and expired at the end of that year. She will also throw her support behind a new further expansion of the tax credit that would provide up to $6,000 in total relief for middle- and low-income families during the first year of a child’s life.

Both tax-credit proposals would require congressional approval, and could face opposition from Republicans. Some GOP lawmakers, including Sen. JD Vance, former President Donald Trump’s running mate, have also called for an expansion of the tax credit.

… The campaign said Harris would propose a new tax incentive for companies that build homes for first-time buyers, but aides didn’t provide details on the plan, which would also require congressional approval. The plan echoes a proposal put forward by Mark Zandi and Jim Parrott, an economist and a housing finance analyst, respectively, who are advising the campaign on the issue.

“The basic principle is lower the tax liability of home builders to build affordable homes, and they will build more affordable homes,” said Zandi, chief economist of Moody’s Analytics. Zandi said a tax credit would be the “most logical way” of giving builders an incentive to boost supply. …”

——

I need to do some research on this specific bill, but in general rent controls do not work to create affordable housing. The only way to make housing more affordable is to build more supply, artificially holding prices down inevitably causes new development to stall which in the long run restricts supply.

Edit to add - If she can get more units built then that's the way to go.

I need to do some research on this specific bill, but in general rent controls do not work to create affordable housing. The only way to make housing more affordable is to build more supply, artificially holding prices down inevitably causes new development to stall which in the long run restricts supply.

Edit to add - If she can get more units built then that's the way to go.
Rent controls may not create affordable housing-but in places like NYC they certainly maintain it . 80 yr old widow who moved into her apt when she was 45........Personally i would live to see more Federally subsidized apts etc. Privately owned apts The owner gets a steady income and the rent price does not escalate much...Now Corps that hundreds-not so much

Last edited:
It is kind of amazing to see the GOP ticket demanding credit for moving the Dem ticket to the left on economic issues (while also insisting the Democrats are “dangerously liberal”), but here we are.

Just saying.....

There is house being built across the street from my house that has a six-car garage. It will include lifts so that it can hold three cars up on the left and three cars below those. It’s a huge house on a fairly small lot (the house takes up virtually the entire lot and also towers above everyone else’s house).

There is house being built across the street from my house that has a six-car garage. It will include lifts so that it can hold three cars up on the left and three cars below those. It’s a huge house on a fairly small lot (the house takes up virtually the entire lot and also towers above everyone else’s house).
Will it be white painted brick with black windows and almost no roof overhang like seemingly all new construction in Myers Park?

I don't like Kamala's plan to bring the cost of renting under control.

Trump's "drill baby drill" policy to contain the cost of renting will do a much better job of containing the cost of renting.

Last edited:
Rent controls may not create affordable housing-but in places like NYC they certainly maintain it . 80 yr old widow who moved into her apt when she was 45........Personally i would live to see more Federally subsidized apts etc. Privately owned apts The owner gets a steady income and the rent price does not escalate much...Now Corps that hundreds-not so much
I mean for those who already have housing it's great, but it subverts incentives to build new housing so newer to market folks end up losing.

The road to the Great Recession was paved in part by good intentions/political expediency to increase home ownership. Harris is not proposing similar policies as fueled that catastrophe, but there are millions of home-owners who bought homes in the last 5 years who might suffer losses on the sell side due to some of these proposals.

I am intrigued by the notion of providing government down-payment support, assuming the buyers have reasonable ability to support the costs of home-ownership otherwise, but fear that would just spur another spasm of sub-prime lending.

I do think tax breaks for builders who build entry-level housing makes sense to increase inventory of such homes, but not sure how you prevent market forces from bidding up the cost of such homes anyway.

Listen, I'm sorry, but I just can't vote for a candidate whose economic policy doesn't include a unilateral 10% tariff on all imported goods, including food, thereby making my grocery bill skyrocket. I have no choice!

Will it be white painted brick with black windows and almost no roof overhang like seemingly all new construction in Myers Park?
Not quite that “modern.” But it’s a Queens Road West House being built on a small neighborhood road that is one of the last roads in Myers Park to consist mainly of what people once called “starter homes.”

Ugh, Kamala's event is basically happening in the neighborhood I live in and I need to pick up my daughter from school around that time. The road I need to take is literally right next to the event building

Frustrated Here We Go GIF by Sesame Street

Ugh, Kamala's event is basically happening in the neighborhood I live in and I need to pick up my daughter from school around that time. The road I need to take is literally right next to the event building

Frustrated Here We Go GIF by Sesame Street
Might as well head out early and snag the front spot in the car pickup line.

Meanwhile, “they” made Trump go use his props since he refused to do so at the press conference they called for him to use his props.

Back