If Trump was not the nominee

Callatoroy

Would you still vote for kamala over Haley? Scott?

Is there anyone in the Pub party you would vote for over kamala?

I'd potentially vote for Nikki Haley as I think she has strong foreign policy chops, and foreign policy is one of the most prominent policy points on which I vote (though, it's certainly not the only one).

I'd also consider voting for people like Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney, Adam Kizinger, Eric Johnson, Thom Tillis, etc.

Probably not, because I don’t agree with what I see as a fundamental pub value — I call it “I want what’s mine and screw the rest of you all.” Pub policies negatively affect the poor/middle class and the environment, and right now their general attitude affects the way we see and treat each other as human beings. I just can’t get on board. However — if this election were Harris vs. Mitt Romney, I’d sleep just fine on election night and probably wouldn’t even be reading this board right now. Romney has shown himself to be a decent human being, and he is a statesman that could represent the country in a positive way. I share some of his values and morals, even if some of his policy decisions (and religious beliefs) may not line up with my own. I’d trust that he could be a fair president and I would not be experiencing the anxiety and angst that I feel from the current political landscape.

Last edited:
Sure, as long as that person was truly fiscally responsible including sensible tax reform, continued support for Ukraine, supported abortion rights, gay marriage, climate change research, investment in infrastructure, universal healthcare, strengthening social security and Medicare, investing in education (not through vouchers), and spending resources to help bring in legal immigrants, not only funding for keeping immigrants out.
It would help if they had a history of denouncing Trump from at least 2015 onward, but I’d settle for one that has denounced Trump since the Jan 6 debacle.

Know of any that fit the bill?

The Republican party isn't really a thing anymore. It's the Trump party, as has become quite clear over the past decade. Just makes questions like this impossible to actually evaluate at face value. Are there some people who are registered Republicans who I would probably vote for over Harris? Maybe. Is there anyone who would have a remote chance at winning the Republican nomination who I would vote for over Harris? Absolutely not.

Currently, no.

But if Haley was the nominee, I’d sleep a lot better at night knowing she could at least keep the country going without crashing our economy, destroying our alliances, isolating us from the rest of the world, and sowing more division and hate.

It wouldn’t be ideal, but we’d survive relatively intact.

I would have a hard time voting for a Republican due to concern about court appointments, but if something otherwise disqualifying came out about Harris, I would either vote Republican or vote for a third party in protest (something I did in 1996). In any event, I wouldn’t be as worried or depressed about the Republican winning if it were Larry Hogan especially, but any number of Republicans.

I know that early on election night in 2012, when it looked like Romney might have won, I was disappointed but already pretty comfortable that things would be fine. I was more concerned when Bush won in 2004 because I thought he was weak and in over his head and I thought the Swiftboat campaign was vile. But I was never worried about W’s patriotism or that he was in league with the Axis of Evil.

I have a hard time ever seeing myself vote republican again. For anything at any level. I’m so soured by the last 9 years and their complete cowardly embrace of Trump and MAGA. They knew better and went along with all of it because they’re either true believers or cowards. And I don’t know which is worse.

Basically, I’ll never forgive the party for Trump.

Last edited:
I would have a hard time voting for a Republican due to concern about court appointments, but if something otherwise disqualifying came out about Harris, I would either vote Republican or vote for a third party in protest (something I did in 1996). In any event, I wouldn’t be as worried or depressed about the Republican winning if it were Larry Hogan especially, but any number of Republicans.

I know that early on election night in 2012, when it looked like Romney might have won, I was disappointed but already pretty comfortable that things would be fine. I was more concerned when Bush won in 2004 because I thought he was weak and in over his head and I thought the Swiftboat campaign was vile. But I was never worried about W’s patriotism or that he was in league with the Axis of Evil.
1996 - same

Hell no. I've never voted for a Republican. I damn sure wouldn't start with this current SCOTUS. That said. I thought W was an awful President. There was not one moment I thought he was an enemy of the country. There may not have been one moment I thought Trump wasn't.

Slept fine under Reagan and GHWB. Didn't like their policies. Never questioned their patriotism.

Probably not, because I don’t agree with what I see as a fundamental pub value — I call it “I want what’s mine and screw the rest of you all.” Pub policies negatively affect the poor/middle class and the environment, and right now their general attitude affects the way we see and treat each other as human beings. I just can’t get on board. However — if this election were Harris vs. Mitt Romney, I’d sleep just fine on election night and probably wouldn’t even be reading this board right now. Romney has shown himself to be a decent human being, and he is a statesman that could represent the country in a positive way. I share some of his values and morals, even if some of his policy decisions (and religious beliefs) may not line up with my own. I’d trust that he could be a fair president and I would not be experiencing the anxiety and angst that I feel from the current political landscape.
My feelings as well. I just don't agree with the whole GOP "small government, no welfare, you're on your own except for rich people" type of attitude that American conservatism historically represents. Having said that, I can certainly live with a George H.W. Bush or Mitt Romney or Bob Dole or John McCain type, and not fear for the future of the country or in particular our democracy and democratic institutions. Unfortunately those types of Republicans have been steadily driven out of the party over the past quarter-century and what we're left with is Trumpers.

Hell no. I've never voted for a Republican. I damn sure wouldn't start with this current SCOTUS. That said. I thought W was an awful President. There was not one moment I thought he was an enemy of the country. There may not have been one moment I thought Trump wasn't.

Slept fine under Reagan and GHWB. Didn't like their policies. Never questioned their patriotism.
This is me, too. Past Republican presidents never gave me reason to believe they were hostile to historical, typical American interests or antithetical to our place in the post-WW2 world order.
If a Russian spy were installed as POTUS, would they have done much differently than Trump?

Even if there were a few that I generally feel more in line with (like a Nikki Haley) I could never vote for any again. There are many that know better, but cowardly caved to Trump and MAGA, so I could never trust again.

John Kasich is about the only one I would vote for. As far as I know, he is the only one that never caved. Sununu was close, but in the end I think he flipped and coalesced.

Kinzinger, I respect his stand but don't know his politics. I also respect Liz Cheney, but she actually voted in lockstep with Trump. Too far right for me.

I've been soured on the Republican party since the early 2000's, and seeing what my friends went through from deployment in senseless wars, I can never again support a hawkish party that has total disregard for the lives of American citizens it claims to represent.

I see no conservative policy, no ideas, no compassion for supporting the needs of those most vulnerable. I'm not sure if they ever cared, but once they embraced this angry, pseudo religious MAGA movement, it eliminated all desire to reach across the aisle.

I will never vote for a modern conservative candidate. They've shown themselves to be unfit for leading a diverse nation in modern times.

Maybe Nelson Rockefeller. I liked McCain in 2000 - but the 2008 version was nauseating sycophant to the religious right.

There are no "middle ground" Republicans anymore. They are all never Trumpers and part of the Democratic coalition or completely out of politics.

I'll put it this way: I would love to eventually get back to a place where politics simply wasn't that important to me. I don't know if that will ever be possible again, but I look back to my 20's and 30's and realize it must have been pure bliss to not really care.

Back