Israel Hamas War | IDF Kills peaceful American Protester in West Bank

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 762
  • Views: 9K
  • Politics 
And how does it end? Israel didn’t have any goals except total destruction.
In my mind the best case scenario is Sinwar dead, Hamas out of power and an international peacekeeping force in Gaza. Rebuild it like we rebuilt Germany and Japan after 1945. Worst case scenario is a stalemate that lasts a couple of years until Hamas attacks again, Israel responds and we're back in the same boat in 2028.

In my mind the best case scenario is Sinwar dead, Hamas out of power and an international peacekeeping force in Gaza. Rebuild it like we rebuilt Germany and Japan after 1945. Worst case scenario is a stalemate that lasts a couple of years until Hamas attacks again, Israel responds and we're back in the same boat in 2028.
Germany and Japan had some degree of self-determination and a path to self rule. Gaza has none of that.

The Israelis claim they have to destroy Hamas. If that requires eradication of Palestinians in Gaza it appears they are fine with that. And you will be cheerleading the slaughter the whole way.

What would your response have been on 10/8 if you were in charge of Israel?

Germany and Japan had some degree of self-determination and a path to self rule. Gaza has none of that.
Just because they don't have it now doesn't mean that it will impossible for them to get there. Hamas is the roadblock, just as the Nazis were in 1945. Get rid of them and you'll find that most people just want to be able to live their lives and will welcome foreign assistance in making that happen.

What would your response have been on 10/8 if you were in charge of Israel?
Not the wholesale destruction of every structure and all the infrastructure in Gaza. By eliminating any vision of a future recovery they have radicalized the next generation of Palestinians completely. I expect they will use that fact to justify killing all the children.

BlueCups “best case scenario” involves nothing about Palestinian self determination. Go figure.

Not the wholesale destruction of every structure and all the infrastructure in Gaza. By eliminating any vision of a future recovery they have radicalized the next generation of Palestinians completely. I expect they will use that fact to justify killing all the children.
Ok, but I asked what you would have done, not what you wouldn't have done.

Did we radicalize the Germans when we bombed Dresden? Or the Japanese after Tokyo, Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

What would you do if you were a Palestinian all the other dates before and after? This shit didn’t start Oct 7th. It didn’t happen in a bubble.
I certainly wouldn't have ran across the border and raped and slaughtered anyone I could find.

This didn't start on 10/7, but 10/7 marked a dramatic escalation in the way that 9/11 marked a dramatic escalation in the war between the United States and terror groups.

I'm not an Israeli leader or an allied diplomat. It's not my job to figure out what to do. But I can see what isn't working, as they can yet they persist. Their goal is to destroy Hamas, which is impossible. The only question is how many civilians will they kill in pursuit of an impossible goal?

The WWII analogies are false. Germany and Japan had powerful warmaking capabilities. Hamas has never had such acapacity.

I certainly wouldn't have ran across the border and raped and slaughtered anyone I could find.

This didn't start on 10/7, but 10/7 marked a dramatic escalation in the way that 9/11 marked a dramatic escalation in the war between the United States and terror groups.
And we fucked that up completely.

No mention of the killings, assaults, humiliations, and home demolitions Israel did to the Palestinians leading up to this?

I'm not an Israeli leader or an allied diplomat. It's not my job to figure out what to do. But I can see what isn't working, as they can yet they persist. Their goal is to destroy Hamas, which is impossible. The only question is how many civilians will they kill in pursuit of an impossible goal?

The WWII analogies are false. Germany and Japan had powerful warmaking capabilities. Hamas has never had such acapacity.
It may not be possible to destroy Hamas, but it is possible to weaken them to the point where they can never mount an attack like 10/7 again. And we may be close to that point now, if we aren't there already.

And I realize I'm arguing with Bo, which is a waste of e everyone's time. I'm done.

Sure, if you want to bow out of a respectful conversation because of a strange grudge you have been holding since 2010, that is your prerogative. I certainly won't waste my time if that is how you feel.

No mention of the killings, assaults, humiliations, and home demolitions Israel did to the Palestinians leading up to this?
Or the kidnappings, suicide bombings, and terrorist attacks that Palestinians did leading up to that? We can play chicken or the egg all day long. 10/7 was different. As is this response.

It may not be possible to destroy Hamas, but it is possible to weaken them to the point where they can never mount an attack like 10/7 again. And we may be close to that point now, if we aren't there already.
What about the fact that Netanyahu was keeping Hamas in power by funding them and helping delay elections?

What about the fact that Netanyahu was keeping Hamas in power by funding them and helping delay elections?
Certainly a mistake that he won't repeat. I highly doubt he thought that they were capable of something like 10/7. They had an unofficial arrangement....Hamas gets support and in return they don't do anything stupid. Hamas decided to scuttle that arrangement in a major way.

Or the kidnappings, suicide bombings, and terrorist attacks that Palestinians did leading up to that? We can play chicken or the egg all day long. 10/7 was different. As is this response.
There were over 200 Palestinians killed last year pre-Oct 7th. The amount of violence was heavily slanted from one side.

There were over 200 Palestinians killed last year pre-Oct 7th. The amount of violence was heavily slanted from one side.
Most of whom were militants killed in military operations, and who were killed over the course of 10 months. That differs substantially from 1,000 civilians being murdered in one day and hundreds more kidnapped.

Back