JD Vance Catch-all | (Merged with newest JD Vance stand-alone thread)

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 799
  • Views: 17K
  • Politics 
What right-wingers don’t realize is that women who have well-paying jobs and/or inherited money and/or have a well-off partner will simply go abroad for an IUD or the “under the skin” birth control, or an annual trip to get birth control for 3 months or 6 months or a year. These women can afford to fly to Paris or London or Prague for birth control.
The ones that know that don’t care — in fact, they are probably counting on it.

You know better than this. Increasing a marginal rate is economically very different than creating deductions or credits. I'm not sure it's correct to say that the tax code discriminates against childless couples. For that, you'd have to know whether there are positive externalities from child-rearing. I suspect there are.
It definitely discriminates. The question is whether there are good policy reasons for that discrimination.

And there is really no economic difference between charging a higher rate to childless couples and giving tax breaks to couples with children. Let's say the government needs to raise $100 to fund its operations and the tax population is divided into groups of people, C and NoC. If the government decides to give NoC a tax break, that means C is going to need to take on more of the burden of funding the government.

Of course, that is not how it works in reality. But as a theoretical matter, tax breaks and tax hikes are the same thing. The government is making a policy-based decision to tax two different groups of people at different rates.

动态图GIF: snl, saturday night live, high five, season 43, alex moffat, mikey  day, over here, eric trump, donald trump jr, high five fail, saturday  night live, saturday night live, up top, trump

JD Vance, an Unlikely Friendship and Why It Ended​

His political views differed from a transgender classmate’s, but they forged a bond that lasted a decade — until Mr. Vance seemed to pivot, politically and personally.

“…
“Hey Sofes, here’s an excerpt from my book,” Mr. Vance wrote to his friend, Sofia Nelson. “I send this to you not just to brag, but because I’m sure if you read it you’ll notice reference to ‘an extremely progressive lesbian.’”

“I recognize now that this may not accurately reflect how you think of yourself, and for that I am really sorry,” he wrote. “I hope you’re not offended, but if you are, I’m sorry! Love you, JD.”

… That exchange is from a series of emails between two friends, part of a close-knit group of 16 students who remained together throughout their first law school semester in the fall of 2010. As now-Senator Vance seeks the vice presidency, Nelson has shared about 90 of their emails and text messages, primarily from 2014 through 2017, with The New York Times.

… And they reflect a young man quite different from the hard-right culture warrior of today who back then brought homemade baked goods to his friend after Nelson underwent transition-related surgery. The visit cemented their bond.

… They provide what may be a textbook example of respectful discourse, revealing a cultural willingness by Mr. Vance to accept Nelson’s gender identity, which sharply differs from the anti-L.G.B.T.Q. sentiments evident at the Republican National Convention.

… But Nelson and Mr. Vance had a falling out in 2021, when Mr. Vance said publicly he supported an Arkansas ban on gender-affirming care for minors, leading to a bitter exchange that deeply hurt Nelson.

… “… Senator Vance values his friendships with individuals across the political spectrum. He has been open about the fact that some of his views from a decade ago began to change after becoming a dad and starting a family, and he has thoroughly explained why he changed his mind on President Trump. Despite their disagreements, Senator Vance cares for Sofia and wishes Sofia the very best.” …”

I don't understand Portnoy's reaction. People with dependents do, and should, pay less taxes than similar income people with no dependents.
That's ridiculous. So I guess all this "I don't want my taxes going to support someone else" is just BS then.

It definitely discriminates. The question is whether there are good policy reasons for that discrimination.

And there is really no economic difference between charging a higher rate to childless couples and giving tax breaks to couples with children. Let's say the government needs to raise $100 to fund its operations and the tax population is divided into groups of people, C and NoC. If the government decides to give NoC a tax break, that means C is going to need to take on more of the burden of funding the government.

Of course, that is not how it works in reality. But as a theoretical matter, tax breaks and tax hikes are the same thing. The government is making a policy-based decision to tax two different groups of people at different rates.
No representation without taxation!!!!! That's what's this country was founded on for gods sake

Tax the people with children. Get rid of their tax credits.

That's ridiculous. So I guess all this "I don't want my taxes going to support someone else" is just BS then.
I'm not defending Vance. He is weird and some of his positions are bizarre. The specific clip that Portnoy was reacting to was Vance saying that people with children should pay relatively less tax than similar income people with no children. That's not a moronic position, it's a statement of the obvious. If you have dependents, your tax obligation is lower. As it should be.

Vance may be otherwise a moron. But he wasn't being a moron in the clip Portnoy was reacting to.

I can't, just freakin can't wrap my head around how bad the pubs are screwing this up with their mouths. It might be the greatest political choke job in the history of democracy. I don't think they think before opening their mouths and their handlers should be shot, not fired. Trump has thrown unity out the window so he can get his rocks off by being mean to a low IQ black woman. What does he need more of? Black voters and women voters of course. So who does he piss off the most with the mouth diarrhea? He goes for the highly effective two for one strategy by insulting blacks and females at once. Vance then sees this and says hold my beer as he proceeds to make less than flattering comments about women and children. He even gets specific and discusses children and the low IQ black woman thereby giving blacks and women a chance to say maybe these two white guys aren't as nice as I thought they were. I won't make it until the election at this rate.
Next Time Chump GIF

He was born James Donald Bowman. Then his name was changed to Hamel. He changed it again, to Vance, when he got married.

I don't see anything weird about changing his name at marriage, given that his wife has a foreign name and Usha Hamel sounds bad. I considered changing my name when marrying a South Asian woman because her name and my last name don't really go together, but she wanted to take my name.
I think it’s extremely weird.

Ryan actually led Vance in the polls, or kept it very close, for a good deal of the campaign, and Vance stumbled and bumbled through much of the campaign. He only pulled comfortably ahead in the polls over the last month or so, and his victory (by about six percent, well below what a Republican should win by in Ohio) was almost certainly due to the magic (R) next to his name, and not to any personal popularity or because he connected with Ohio voters, and certainly not white working-class voters. And Ryan did very well against him in their debates, so Vance is definitely vulnerable in that format. I think somebody like Kelly or Buttigieg would eat his lunch in a debate, imo. Which is probably why, as you said, there will be no vice-presidential debate this year.
Ryan lost the financial race. Peter Thiel funneled $15 million late into the race, after McConnell’s slush fund contributed $40 million. Ryan was swamped financially.

I'm not defending Vance. He is weird and some of his positions are bizarre. The specific clip that Portnoy was reacting to was Vance saying that people with children should pay relatively less tax than similar income people with no children. That's not a moronic position, it's a statement of the obvious. If you have dependents, your tax obligation is lower. As it should be.

Vance may be otherwise a moron. But he wasn't being a moron in the clip Portnoy was reacting to.
Why is the tax burden lower? Because people chose to have children? I'm not saying it shouldn't be the case but the moment we say things like "as it should" things get complicated. Having children is a choice. Getting married is a choice. Just because people do not use contraceptives doesn't mean they had no choice. Basically ur saying those who can afford it should pay a bit more taxes. Then why are the GOP keep wanting to cut taxes for the wealthy?

I think it’s extremely weird.
He also changed Donald to David at some point and I thought I read eventually officially changed his first name to just JD.

Nope, correction, his legal name is now James David Vance but he refers to himself as JD (no periods) in campaign materials and on his senate website.

Why is the tax burden lower? Because people chose to have children? I'm not saying it shouldn't be the case but the moment we say things like "as it should" things get complicated. Having children is a choice. Getting married is a choice. Just because people do not use contraceptives doesn't mean they had no choice. Basically ur saying those who can afford it should pay a bit more taxes. Then why are the GOP keep wanting to cut taxes for the wealthy?

The tax burden is lower because we want parents to raise their children right, and raising them is expensive.

If you want the tax code to be rewritten to ignore the existence of dependent children, you're going to have a difficult time finding a political party or a candidate who agrees with you.

Back