JD Vance Catch-all | “we have to destroy the universities in this country”

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 835
  • Views: 18K
  • Politics 
I think it was "please clap". I think about those early 2016 primaries a lot. Overall, Jeb was a bad, but not necessarily awful, choice to be the anointed GOP frontrunner at the beginning. Jeb had some strengths, but his weaknesses were almost lab-created to exploited by Trump. Trump was a longshot joke up until the point he used Jeb as a punching bag in those early debates.

I will always wonder whether Trumpism would have died in the cradle if the Rs had frontran like a Paul Ryan, or really anyone except Jeb.
Anointing Jeb as the guy was head-scratching to me. Why would they think that this country wanted another Bush after what we got the first two times around and the way each of those presidencies were viewed in the 2010s?

I think he rightly believed that Vance would do anything he says to do, no matter how illegal or immoral.

Trump is absolutely not thinking about his own death. A narcissist can't envision the world without them in it.
I agree. The question I was responding to was "I don’t know why Vance wanted to pursue this in the first place."

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out what was so objectionable. I will grant that it was not the most concise statement one could imagine. I think it could have been said in half the words, but getting the substance right is the important part.

Here's an example of giving a book report on a book you haven't read:

"Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more." God that was back at the beginning of his term, in 2017. He's been infecting the country with his ignorance for so long it's hard to keep track of.
Trump excels in speaking in generalizations lacking any real information. He would be the person turning in a book or final paper report and getting an F back, where the teacher writes either who, when, how, or why over nearly every sentence, in big red ink.

I agree. The question I was responding to was "I don’t know why Vance wanted to pursue this in the first place."
I really only wrote that sentence as a set up for the punchline. But I suppose it's fair to split my post into sectionals.

Speaking of weird, Trump has spent the last hour or so posting on Truth Social to re-line his debate with Biden (including re-posting some very warped “fact checks” of Biden).

IMG_2325.jpeg
It’s like he is hopelessly pining for the campaign against Biden.

In a normal political environment, there would be little need to pay attention to a new book by the far-right provocateur Jack Posobiec, who is probably best known for promoting the conspiracy theory that Democrats ran a satanic child abuse ring beneath a popular Washington pizzeria. But “Unhumans,” an anti-democratic screed that Posobiec co-wrote with the professional ghostwriter Joshua Lisec, comes with endorsements from some of the most influential people in Republican politics, including, most significantly, vice-presidential candidate JD Vance.

The word “fascist” gets thrown around a lot in politics, but it’s hard to find a more apt one for “Unhumans,” which came out last month. The book argues that leftists don’t deserve the status of human beings — that they are, as the title says, unhumans — and that they are waging a shadow war against all that is good and decent, which will end in apocalyptic slaughter if they are not stopped.

“As they are opposed to humanity itself, they place themselves outside of the category completely, in an entirely new misery-driven subdivision, the unhuman,” write Posobiec and Lisec.

As they tell it, modern progressivism is just the latest incarnation of an ancient evil dating back to the late Roman Republic and continuing through the French Revolution and Communism to today. Often, they write, “great men of means” are required to crush this scourge. The contempt for democracy in “Unhumans” is not subtle. “Our study of history has brought us to this conclusion: Democracy has never worked to protect innocents from the unhumans,” write Posobiec and Lisec.

One of their book’s heroes is the Spanish dictator Francisco Franco, who overthrew the democratic Second Spanish Republic in the country’s 1930s civil war. The authors call him a “great man of history” and compare him to George Washington. They quote him on what doesn’t work against the unhuman threat: “We do not believe in government through the voting booth. The Spanish national will was never freely expressed through the ballot box.”

Vance provided the first blurb on the “Unhumans” book jacket. “In the past, communists marched in the streets waving red flags. Today, they march through H.R., college campuses and courtrooms to wage lawfare against good, honest people,” he wrote. “Jack Posobiec and Joshua Lisec reveal their plans and show us what to do to fight back.”

Other endorsements come from Tucker Carlson and Donald Trump Jr., a key figure in his father’s presidential campaign. The foreword is by Stephen Bannon, Donald Trump’s former chief strategist.

So telling that Trump selects a guy who thinks his opponents are “unhuman” and looks to insane conspiracy theorists for advice on how to get stuff done, while Kamala selects a guy who personifies “Minnesota Nice” and has a long track record of using the democratic process to actually get stuff done. Further evidence that one party is serious about governing and leading, while the other party thinks they’re in some dystopian video game.

Who writes a book praising Pinochet and McCarthy? So weird. And who decides, oh yeah gimme some of that, Imma blurb it.

Back