Lost colony found

gtyellowjacket

Distinguished Member
I may be 100% wrong-I often am -but is there not speculation in the past that this goup was absorbed in the Lumbee Nattion??? Surnames etc
You are correct. Adolph Dial, noted history professor at uncp, argued lumbees were descendants of lost colony and claimed he was related to Virginia dare.

I read this article yesterday.

It’s supposition.

There’s nothing definitive in the “article.”

You are correct. Adolph Dial, noted history professor at uncp, argued lumbees were descendants of lost colony and claimed he was related to Virginia dare.
As you might recall, a relative had/has ties to Scotland and Robeson Counties (and another 3+ counties in that area; including one in South Carolina - the local segregationist academy was in that South Carolina county - the Pates, Browns, Townsends, McNairs, etc. attended the segregationist academy).

Scotland County High School plays its football games in Pate Stadium. The Pates own those counties. Look up Z.V. Pate in Laurel Springs. It looks inconsequential. It’s not.

Leaving Red Springs headed towards the ‘Burg, we’d pass by property that was on the right……a huge tree in the middle…..my relative would say that rumor has it that Virginia Dare was buried under that tree.

I expect Virginia Dare’s bones washed out to sea centuries ago.

Back