Mass Shooting & Gun Violence catch-all | Kentucky Sheriff kills KY Judge in courthouse?

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 518
  • Views: 8K
  • Politics 
Salisbury has 35,000 residents and is Rowan County’s seat.

It sure as hell isn’t rural.

BTW, I put “urban” in quotes because little of North Carolina is actually urban - our two most populous cities are much more suburban than urban.
I still don’t understand the point you are trying to make. This wasn’t a deep dive; it was a five minute search on shootings reported by major media outlets in the state. While it is true that the media outlets are based in larger cities they also have a coverage area of numerous counties that includes a lot of rural areas. They typically don’t fail to report on shootings in those areas.

Salisbury has 35,000 residents and is Rowan County’s seat.

It sure as hell isn’t rural.

BTW, I put “urban” in quotes because little of North Carolina is actually urban - our two most populous cities are much more suburban than urban.

Didn't you just imply Wilson was a rural location two posts back? It has a population of 49,000 and it's the county seat of Wilson County.

Trump judge greenlights machine guns under Second Amendment​

The ruling highlights how the Republican-appointed Supreme Court majority has expanded gun rights, as well as the impact of Trump’s judicial appointments more broadly.

“… U.S. District Judge John Broomes’ ruling on Wednesday stemmed from the prosecution of Tamori Morgan, who was charged with two counts of possessing a machine gun under federal law.

Morgan cited the Supreme Court’s 2022 ruling in Bruen to argue that the case should be dismissed on Second Amendment grounds.

Justice Clarence Thomas’ opinion for the Republican-appointed majority in Bruen said that gun regulations can’t stand unless they’re “consistent with this Nation’s historical tradition of firearm regulation.” …”

Durham man shot dead in a family rampage.

For years, Joseph DeLucia cut a foreboding figure to neighbors in the quiet Long Island cul-de-sac where he lived his entire life with his mother.

A seemingly friendless, unmarried 59-year-old auto mechanic who hoarded tools, Mr. DeLucia spent long stretches sitting on his narrow concrete porch in Syosset.

But Mr. DeLucia was prone to angry outbursts, and neighbors and the authorities said he had grown more unstable in the two weeks since the death of his mother, Theresa DeLucia, 95. He chafed at his three older siblings’ plan to sell the home they had left long ago and split the proceeds four ways.

“He kept saying, ‘I’m going to be homeless — my siblings are not going to help me. They’re just going to sell the house,’” a neighbor, Randi Marquis, said on Monday while staring at the DeLucias’ faded-blue Cape Cod house, partly obscured by untrimmed bushes.

On Sunday, Mr. DeLucia waited until his siblings and a niece gathered in the rear den of the house to meet with a real estate agent.

As they were sipping their Starbucks, he suddenly appeared brandishing a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun and shot all four of them repeatedly, leaving “one of the most horrific scenes I have ever seen,” the Nassau County Police commissioner, Patrick Ryder, said at a news conference on Monday.

Mr. DeLucia then ran onto the front lawn screaming and dragged a rusty patio chair from his favorite spot on the porch onto the center of the lawn, where he shot himself in the chest under a tree, the police said. On Monday, the chair remained on the lawn next to where police found him dead from the same shotgun he used to kill his family.

Mr. DeLucia did not neatly fit any of those categories. In all, the police said, he fired 12 times inside the home, killing his brother, Frank DeLucia, 63, of Durham, N.C.; his sisters Joanne Kearns, 69, of Tampa, Fla., and Tina Hammond, 64; and Tina’s daughter, Victoria Hammond, 30, both of East Patchogue, N.Y.

Two people were found shot dead in a dorm room at Rice University in Houston, the university president said on Monday, in what appeared to be a murder-suicide.

One was a female student who had lived in the dorm room in the Jones College residential hall, Reginald DesRoches, the university president, said at a news conference. The other was a man who was not a university student and who had a self-inflicted gunshot wound, he said.

The university identified the student as Andrea Rodriguez Avila, a junior.

She appeared to have been in a romantic relationship with the man, Clemente Rodriguez, the university police chief, said.

The two were discovered on Monday afternoon during a welfare check by the Rice University police, after a family member reported not being able to get in contact with Ms. Rodriguez Avila, Mr. Rodriguez said. Both were pronounced dead at the scene. It appeared that Ms. Rodriguez Avila let the man into the residential building, he added.

The deaths occurred on the first day of classes. The university issued a shelter-in-place alert at about 5:40 p.m. urging all students to stay in their rooms as the police investigated.

Also, a random Marine is not a constitutional scholar nor a Supreme Court justice and the 2nd Amendment has already been settled.
Neither are you, and if you were, you'd know that "the Second Amendment" (whatever you mean by that) is very far from settled. If liberals ever a majority on the Court, Bruen will be overruled in short order and I suspect Heller will be reversed as well.

Neither are you, and if you were, you'd know that "the Second Amendment" (whatever you mean by that) is very far from settled. If liberals ever a majority on the Court, Bruen will be overruled in short order and I suspect Heller will be reversed as well.
We shall see. I don't see that changing anytime in my lifetime, and I'm not super old. While I agree there should be sensible limitations on gun ownership (the machine gun ruling a few posts above is something that I strongly disagree with), I also firmly believe that people have a right to protect themselves and have a right to own firearms to do so.

We shall see. I don't see that changing anytime in my lifetime, and I'm not super old. While I agree there should be sensible limitations on gun ownership (the machine gun ruling a few posts above is something that I strongly disagree with), I also firmly believe that people have a right to protect themselves and have a right to own firearms to do so.
A lot of people believe that they have a right to protect themselves. So deal with it through the political process. The NRA has had significant wins in federal legislation (such as prohibitions on lawsuits against gun manufacturers). Many states have lax gun laws.

There's no reason to elevate gun ownership into a constitutional right. It makes no sense; it's not consistent with the text or history of the Second Amendment; and it's not consistent with historical tradition. The great irony of Bruen is that it requires the government to find "historical analogues" to gun regulations, when Bruen itself has no historical analogue. For more than 220 years, the Second Amendment was not understood to confer an individual right.

A lot of people believe that they have a right to protect themselves. So deal with it through the political process. The NRA has had significant wins in federal legislation (such as prohibitions on lawsuits against gun manufacturers). Many states have lax gun laws.

There's no reason to elevate gun ownership into a constitutional right. It makes no sense; it's not consistent with the text or history of the Second Amendment; and it's not consistent with historical tradition. The great irony of Bruen is that it requires the government to find "historical analogues" to gun regulations, when Bruen itself has no historical analogue. For more than 220 years, the Second Amendment was not understood to confer an individual right.

Dealing with it on an ad hoc basis is what got us in this situation in the first place. Cities and states were essentially making it illegal for people to defend themselves. That gave us Heller. Someone's right to life and liberty should not depend on if they live in Biloxi or Boston.

Dealing with it on an ad hoc basis is what got us in this situation in the first place. Cities and states were essentially making it illegal for people to defend themselves. That gave us Heller. Someone's right to life and liberty should not depend on if they live in Biloxi or Boston.
The right to life and liberty is not at issue. Those are covered by the 14th Amendment. This is about the Second Amendment. If you can't talk about it intelligently, then stop talking. Don't try to change the subject. No regulations were making self-defense illegal.

If you don't want rights to depend on geography, then you must hate our system of federalist government. Because there are states, and the states have lawmaking authority within their territorial confines, the rights and privileges of Bostonians won't be the same as Georgians. Lots and lots of rights are different in different places, including the right to an abortion (which is more fundamental than any Second Amendment right). If you are such a fan of the universal application of federal law, you must hate this Supreme Court.

The right to life and liberty is not at issue. Those are covered by the 14th Amendment. This is about the Second Amendment. If you can't talk about it intelligently, then stop talking. Don't try to change the subject. No regulations were making self-defense illegal.

If you don't want rights to depend on geography, then you must hate our system of federalist government. Because there are states, and the states have lawmaking authority within their territorial confines, the rights and privileges of Bostonians won't be the same as Georgians. Lots and lots of rights are different in different places, including the right to an abortion (which is more fundamental than any Second Amendment right). If you are such a fan of the universal application of federal law, you must hate this Supreme Court.

With all due respect, I know you are an attorney and I am not. You are not, however, the authority on this issue. I'm not going to debate you on the legality of the 2A....that's already been determined. You may pine for a day in which that precedent is overturned, but I think we both know that that day will not come anytime soon.

So the question is, what has changed? No major new gun control laws passed.

It's a good question that I hope sociologists are looking at. My guess is that the covid relief funds drove a lot of gun purchases, a lot of those from people that weren't doing so well in life. There were several anecdotal reports that that was happening. So there was a spike and now there's a decline after those Covid funds dried up and some of those guns got taken off the street from people that were liable to shoot somebody.

The decline is good news, but I would love to understand what was happening so we could do more of it.

Back