Miguel Yordan & “The Rise of Global Capitalism”

• Thread starter Thread starter donbosco
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 6
  • Views: 94

donbosco

Distinguished Member
IMG_4087.jpeg

There are people who are global - infamous ones to be sure like trump and Hitler and Bin Laden for whom the simple sound of their name conjures strong sentiments - historically sensible ones of disgust (to all but those who follow their cult). And there are others who tend to stir positive feelings like Malala, Martin Luther King, and Dolly Parton (though for even these figures detractors can always be found).

Michael Jordan tends toward that second category (though I am certainly aware there are those who find things about his life distasteful) for his competitiveness and athletic artistry. Of course I revere him for bringing Coach Smith his first championship and his allegiance to our shared Alma Mater.

He is international and seemingly quite timeless - in a second season (2022) episode of award-winning comedy-drama ‘The Bear’ Jordan’s name came up in a conversation between two chefs in Copenhagen (a great show marred only by a subtheme that focuses on a coach from category #1 above). Over the years I’ve had many conversations in Guatemala about ‘Miguel Yordan’ as well - dating back to the days of The Dream Team though to my eternal chagrin almost never is the Tar Heel connection even known there.

Over twenty years ago now (2002), Walter Lefebre published ‘Michael Jordan and the New Global Capitalism’ in which the author posits, Jordan as “the supreme example of how American corporations have used technology in a brave, massively wired new world to sell their products in every corner of the globe.” (https://www.amazon.com/Michael-Jordan-New-Global-Capitalism/dp/0393323692) [Quote from Reviewer Douglas Brinkley] Certainly in the years since #23 has been challenged for such an accolade but nevertheless the 61 year old remains in the picture even 21 years since he last laced up his Air Jordans.

A note in personal observations made in Spain last summer is that the Chicago Bulls jersey of #23 is still everywhere - almost rivaling the “on the field” and currently active Argentinian Global Soccer Star, Lionel Messi. My greatest related wish would be that Jordan’s Carolina Blue Tar Heel jersey was more prominent than the Red and Black of Los Toros! I understand though - the NBA is truly, and increasingly so - a global league while college sports remain primarily regional and shrinking in import with every season - university basketball suffering the most precipitous decline as One-and-Dones and the Portal strip loyalty and rivalry from the contests. Indeed, four of the five professional players chosen for the 2023-24 NBA All-Pro Team are foreigners (Gilgeous-Alexander, Jokić, Dončić, and Antetokounmpo). I’m glad just the same to see Jordan among the all-time names even though the Windy City identification pales for me to the ‘Southern Part of Heaven’ one.

Last edited:
When I first moved to Europe in 1985 I was Jonesin’ to shoot some hoops. I found an outdoor basketball court. Went to a local dept store (this was in Leiden, Netherlands) to look for a basketball. The only one they had was rubber, but it was Carolina Blue and white with a UNC logo on it. I just smiled…

To continue on the idea that it’s been over two decades since Jordan last laced up his Jordans in an NBA game, it’s been over 40 years since Jordan played for Carolina.

His jersey is still the most commonly worn one at UNC games……and, it’s not just worn by 50- or 60 somethings.

dating back to the days of The Dream Team though to my eternal chagrin almost never is the Tar Heel connection even known there.
I was in China last month. The tour guide, who is a Beijing native, was asking everyone where they were from. He just smiled and said “that’s nice” as people were listing their states.

When he got to me and I said North Carolina, he said, “ohhh, that’s where Michael Jordan played.”

As luck would have it, I was wearing a Tar Heel shirt. I showed him the shirt. We talked a little basketball after that. I think it annoyed the other tourists.

I was in China last month. The tour guide, who is a Beijing native, was asking everyone where they were from. He just smiled and said “that’s nice” as people were listing their states.

When he got to me and I said North Carolina, he said, “ohhh, that’s where Michael Jordan played.”

As luck would have it, I was wearing a Tar Heel shirt. I showed him the shirt. We talked a little basketball after that. I think it annoyed the other tourists.

I used to keep a running count of hats and t-shirts from ACC Schools that I saw in Central America. Carolina and dook were usually in pretty close competition of course it was baseball caps that ruled the day. I could not believe how many Dodgers hats I saw this last time down.

I had a similar experience 15 years ago. I was on a trip to Beijing through Kenan Flagler Business School and when our tour guide found out the school we were from (UNC) was where Michael Jordan went, he literally teared up. It was awesome. He said MJ was his idol.

Back