NIXON RESIGNS!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter donbosco
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 3
  • Views: 99

donbosco

Distinguished Member
IMG_4120.jpeg

I know where I was on the evening of August 8, 1974. I was watching television with my Momma and Deddy as Nixon announced that he would resign. Since the previous summer, when I had been religiously tuned in to the Senate hearings on TV, I had become politically activated. Most of that summer-viewing had happened while I ‘worked’ in #BonleeHardware. We sold televisions and always had one on display by the front door of the store. That summer of my 15th year the TV was always on. Deddy was, of course urgently interested too, he’d never thought much of Nixon, and wanted to keep up as well. He let me shirk work somewhat that summer so that I could see history in the making, know how government operated, and that dishonesty would be punished. That I would keep him updated when he was drawn away to wait on customers and problem-solve was a given.

So there in that General Store of all General Stores, the counters and walls brimming with pipe fittings, paint cans, shotgun shells, pliers & screwdrivers - you name it, we had it - I watched the corruption of Nixon and those that he had gathered around him exposed - a drama orchestrated by a very much native Tar Heel, Old School Democratic Senator Sam Ervin from Morganton, NC. I also saw that - at least in those days - Republicans like Howard Baker and Lowell Weicker were also after the Truth. (Tip of the modern hat here to Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger)

The hearing the summer of ‘73 was not the immediate end of Nixon - that would take another year - but it was a beginning for me. Up until that time I had talked very seriously with Deddy about military school and the prospects of attending the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. But between ‘73 and Nixon’s resignation in shame in ‘74 I did a lot of reading and listening. I also did a lot of talking with my Deddy about the future. We decided that law school was my path forward. I was inspired by the investigatory process that I saw unfolding via the #WatergateScandal.

Turned out law was not for me but the rather similar detective work of a historian was. We’ve sunk mighty low in the years since Nixon and as a teacher and researcher I’ve come to know well about some of the other depths that we have plumbed. Nixon was a wake up call for the nation - it certainly was for me. It is interesting that immediately following the letdown of Watergate (and the tragedies associated with Vietnam) we elected a very honest and deeply faith-based Jimmy Carter as our president. He’s proven the truth of his principles in the years since his single term in office while in the meantime — in contrast, we’ve gone remarkably low — inconceivably low given the hope and trust in a system that the example of the Senate Watergate Hearings brought to me at 15 years old. I was, understandably, disappointed when Nixon never fully paid for his crimes and destruction but was swept along — at least for a while — in the argument that healing demanded blind forgiveness - a pardon if you will. I know better now.

We need so badly to shine the same bright and unwavering beam of light on recent deplorable episodes in government - without justice there is no chance whatsoever of recovery - of the possibility of hope & trust blossoming in the hearts and minds of today’s 15 year old boys and girls. We didn’t finish in the ‘70s. We owe it to the future to do so now. THIS TIME THERE MUST BE JUSTICE.

#OTD 1974, in an evening TV address, President Richard Nixon announced that he would resign. The next day VP Ford was sworn in & suggested that “our long national nightmare is over.” On 9/8/74 he pardoned Nixon of any crimes he might have committed.

Was on a family trip out to Northern California. Had been down in Carmel and Dad was driving us back to SF via the Stanford campus. With the radio on, we listened to Nixon resign.

As a lot of historians I have seen on TV over the last week or so have noted, if Fox News and the tribalism of today had existed 50 years ago, it is likely Nixon wouldn't have resigned. And may not have ended up facing the impeachment that was certainly headed his way when he did resign.

I was living in Hinton James dorm when Spiro Agnew resigned. I cut the front page article out of the N&O and taped it to the wall. I left a big empty space beside it. Everytime someone saw it, they remarked, "I see you left a space for another article." Unfortunately, Nixon resigned over the summer break, so I never got to finish my diptych.

Back