No Biden speech thread?

uncgriff

Distinguished Member
I thought he did a very good job. I wish he had referenced George Washington though.

“I anticipate with pleasing expectation that retreat, in which I promise myself to realize, without alloy, the sweet enjoyment of partaking, in the midst of my fellow-citizens, the benign influence of good laws under a free government, the ever-favorite object of my heart, and the happy reward, as I trust, of our mutual cares, labors, and dangers.”

He did do a good job. I loved his line about being a kid from Scranton with a stutter to sitting behind the resolute desk.

I will say, I think they can drop the Trump self tanner move.

tanning my idol GIF

It was a very heartfelt, very sincere, very touching speech. I have so much admiration for Joe for understanding and accepting that, as good of a human being as he is, and as successful of a presidency as he has had, and as influential of a five-decades-long political career as he has had, that the fight against fascism and authoritarianism is best passed to the capable hands of the next generation. I've come to accept over the last week or so that Biden was going to lose to Trump in November. It's not fair, it's not right, it's not how Hollywood movies end happily ever after, but it's what was going to happen. And that simply cannot happen. So I am grateful to him for passing the torch and for letting the bullpen come in and take it from here for the rest of the way.

I think he did a pretty good job with the speech. It was the perfect tone focusing on his reasons for accepting the need to step aside, sharing his pride and thanks to Americans in letting him serve so long. No direct mentions of Trump (he's not worthy to be included in Biden's farewell.)

He did reference Trump and MAGA indirectly about America not being a kingdom or dictatorship.

Thanks for starting this thread Griff. I disagree he should have used any of that Washington quote. Reading it and trying to imagine Biden saying it, even off teleprompter, would have been disastrous.

I think he did a pretty good job with the speech. It was the perfect tone focusing on his reasons for accepting the need to step aside, sharing his pride and thanks to Americans in letting him serve so long. No direct mentions of Trump (he's not worthy to be included in Biden's farewell.)

He did reference Trump and MAGA indirectly about America not being a kingdom or dictatorship.

Thanks for starting this thread Griff. I disagree he should have used any of that Washington quote. Reading it and trying to imagine Biden saying it, even off teleprompter, would have been disastrous.
I never got around to telling you this on the other board, but I just want to say how genuinely, sincerely, incredibly thrilled and grateful I am to have you on "our team." I don't mean on Team Democrat or Team Liberal- just on Team "F*** MAGA."

Let's do this.

What happened to you? Admittedly, I haven't been hanging around the ZZLP much lately. I remember a post you made where I sort of requested you change your avatar (as I created it). Man does the jpeg look awful in retrospect.

This is a Krafty I can get on board with.

What happened to you? Admittedly, I haven't been hanging around the ZZLP much lately. I remember a post you made where I sort of requested you change your avatar (as I created it). Man does the jpeg look awful in retrospect.

This is a Krafty I can get on board with.
Yes, I used to debate on some conservative matters I still believe in. I would do so again if we ever actually discuss specific policy. I voted Pub for over 35 years but never voted for Trump. I have always been moderately fiscal conservative and moderately social centrist or leaning left.

I have not changed drastically, though I have learned a lot here and probably have moved to the left a little, or I should say driven to the left more.

That is because this MAGA crowd, Trump himself, and the cowardly enabling by conservatives, is something I disagree with vehemently.

MAGAs are not Republicans, or the Republicans have become totally unethical, dishonest, and pandering to the most uneducated, white nationalists, christo-fascists, and cultists among us.

As I said, not a fan of traditional Republican policies, but I wouldn't have that reaction to normal non-MAGA talk. Maybe I mistakenly attributed you being in agreement with a post before yours. Regardless, good to see.

“…
The names and stories of Cincinnatus and Catiline are no longer well remembered. But their symbolism survives even after the details have blurred: self first versus country first; appetite versus conscience; ego versus law.

The last act of the drama decides how the whole show will be remembered. Biden gave 50 years of his life to public service. It was a career of highs and lows, victories and defeats—and now all of it backlit by the glow of its magnificent end.

Donald Trump’s career has not ended quite yet—though it, too, is backlit. Any hope or promise it might once have carried vanished long ago. His final chapter seems at hand. It won’t be good—and after the contrast with Biden’s finale tonight, it will look worse than ever. …”

“… Cincinnatus was the name of a man who, the story went, accepted supreme power in the state to meet a temporary emergency and then relinquished that power to return to his farm when the emergency passed. George Washington modeled his public image on the legend of Cincinnatus, and so he was depicted in contemporary art and literature—“the Cincinnatus of the West,” as Lord Byron praised him in a famous poem of the day.

… Alexander Hamilton invoked Catiline to inveigh against his detested political adversary, Aaron Burr:

He is bankrupt beyond redemption except by the plunder of his country. His public principles have no other spring or aim than his own aggrandisement … If he can, he will certainly disturb our institutions to secure to himself permanent power and with it wealth … He is truly the Catalineof America.

“… Cincinnatus was the name of a man who, the story went, accepted supreme power in the state to meet a temporary emergency and then relinquished that power to return to his farm when the emergency passed. George Washington modeled his public image on the legend of Cincinnatus, and so he was depicted in contemporary art and literature—“the Cincinnatus of the West,” as Lord Byron praised him in a famous poem of the day.

… Alexander Hamilton invoked Catiline to inveigh against his detested political adversary, Aaron Burr:
If Biden is playing the role of Cincinattus or even a Sulla, Trump is clearly the Nero figure

This is more a Lepidus situation where his legions deserted him for Octavian and he was forced into retirement.

The speech was efficient as a political speech (and therefore viewed through a political prism), but was insufficient given the circumstances. So Biden-esque.

Back