One month! + Board Update

• Thread starter Thread starter Rock
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 32
  • Views: 527

Rock

Chef de Cuisine
Staff Member
Congrats! We made it. This weekend marked our one month anniversary. The engagement is far beyond what we thought we would achieve when this site was created. We are getting so many page views that we have to seriously start looking at big-time hosting setups. For now, we are good though.

Through your contributions and support we are primed to take a step to the next level and bring you an exciting new board. Much of the functionality of the new forum is in place but we couldn't quite crack the look of the place. "Politics & Other Topics (for Tarheel fans & their friends)" is a tough nut to crack. This weekend though, we think we've figured it out.

One big part of the new forum and why it was created is to solve an issue regarding having threads across different topics when some users prefer all topics, only politics, politics and sports, etc. I think having a single forum is a unique idea, and good one, but understand different people want different things. I think splitting into different forums, at this time, creates more problems than it solves so a solution to this is the introduction of prefixes.

When a new thread is created, you will mark it with a prefix. Politics, sports, off-topic, etc. it is very quick and easy to do so. Then, when you are browsing, you can see which topics you want to see, even ignore ones you don't want to see, and so on. But, it is done in a pretty nifty way that doesn't require you to click a bunch of boxes or go into settings or do anything like that. It is on the fly. It's built into the browser experience.

With football season starting up, off-topic threads ticking up, and more and more people joining the forum, we think you will find the new site an even more rewarding experience. There are a lot of other neat functions that we will introduce too.

Congratulations on being with us for a month and we look forward to posting with you as this journey evolves into something special.

Republican National Convention GIF by Election 2020

Congrats! We made it. This weekend marked our one month anniversary. The engagement is far beyond what we thought we would achieve when this site was created. We are getting so many page views that we have to seriously start looking at big-time hosting setups. For now, we are good though.

Through your contributions and support we are primed to take a step to the next level and bring you an exciting new board. Much of the functionality of the new forum is in place but we couldn't quite crack the look of the place. "Politics & Other Topics (for Tarheel fans & their friends)" is a tough nut to crack. This weekend though, we think we've figured it out.

One big part of the new forum and why it was created is to solve an issue regarding having threads across different topics when some users prefer all topics, only politics, politics and sports, etc. I think having a single forum is a unique idea, and good one, but understand different people want different things. I think splitting into different forums, at this time, creates more problems than it solves so a solution to this is the introduction of prefixes.

When a new thread is created, you will mark it with a prefix. Politics, sports, off-topic, etc. it is very quick and easy to do so. Then, when you are browsing, you can see which topics you want to see, even ignore ones you don't want to see, and so on. But, it is done in a pretty nifty way that doesn't require you to click a bunch of boxes or go into settings or do anything like that. It is on the fly. It's built into the browser experience.

With football season starting up, off-topic threads ticking up, and more and more people joining the forum, we think you will find the new site an even more rewarding experience. There are a lot of other neat functions that we will introduce too.

Congratulations on being with us for a month and we look forward to posting with you as this journey evolves into something special.

200.gif
Kudos on the new site... :cool:

Ooh, ooh, is this my chance to complain no matter what you do that you did it wrong and you should feel terrible about yourself?

Seriously, you've done and are doing a great job with the board. This is a great solution. Great job.

Ooh, ooh, is this my chance to complain no matter what you do that you did it wrong and you should feel terrible about yourself?

Seriously, you've done and are doing a great job with the board. This is a great solution. Great job.
No. I think you shoukd remain in that position yourself. You did a good job of it on IC. 😁

Rock Please let us know what an upgraded server support will cost So we can judge our individual contributions when that is needed.........
Thank you for offering! The support has been incredible so we're sitting pretty for a bit. I was more trying to highlight the level of engagement we've gotten which we never could have predicted.

The graphs on page views, posts, views, etc. just keeps going up and up and up.

Dance Dog GIF by GoPlus Labs

I know I don't post much here (or really anywhere anymore) but I gotta agree with the rest of the crazies here, this board is awesome and you're doing a fantastic job.

Keeping it one board > seperate boards

and yes, please let us know if/when you need more scrap. We gotcha

Are you eligible for accepting qualified charitable distributions ?

If so then you would have many old codgers like me sending you hefty QCDs out of our IRAs 🤑

A single forum with threads tagged by topic with toggle-able filter buttons at the to of the forum would be my preference. Some thing like:
  • Politics
  • UNC Football
  • UNC Basketball
  • Non-UNC Sports
  • Music
  • Money
  • Travel
  • Food
  • Everything Else
Not necessaily suggesting these precise tags, just some set of nicely organized 8 or so logical tags (buttons) to turn off and on the posts you want.

Just a thought.

A single forum with threads tagged by topic with toggle-able filter buttons at the to of the forum would be my preference. Some thing like:
  • Politics
  • UNC Football
  • UNC Basketball
  • Non-UNC Sports
  • Music
  • Money
  • Travel
  • Food
  • Everything Else
Not necessaily suggesting these precise tags, just some set of nicely organized 8 or so logical tags (buttons) to turn off and on the posts you want.

Just a thought.
Appreciate you posting this. I was definitely going to ask for help coming up with the prefixes. I don't think politics, sports, off-topic is enough. Will definitely need to figure out how to categorize things with enough but not too many.

Back