Photodynamic therapy

ChapelHillSooner

Has anyone else had photodynamic therapy for precancerous actinic keratosis or for any other reason?

I recently had a squamous cell spot removed from my head and they wanted to do the therapy on my scalp to keep the AK from becoming cancerous. It consists of sandpapering the area (in my case the scalp), applying acetone, applying a light sensitive cream, letting it sit for two hours, then 16 minutes of pure torture under blue light. Haha.

I thought they said it was 60 minutes. After a couple of minutes I was thinking there is no way I can do this for 60 minutes - especially considering the burning sensation was intensifying and I had no idea how much more intense it would get. At 8 minutes they came in and said 8 minutes to go. I had never been so happy to hear something as I was at that moment.

Curious if I am just being a wimp. I suppose the unknown was the worst. Now I know how intense the burning will get so next time it will be easier. (The underlying stem cells have sun damage so they will produce more AK's.)

Back