Racing in Rural NC (#OTD in NC)

donbosco

Distinguished Member
In North Carolina racing used to be like hunting, fishing, going to church, or choosing Carolina or State. If you didn’t do it you still knew all about it and who did. Cale Yarborough, Bobby Allison, the Petty guy from Randolph County - were favorites as I recall. There were boys that would scribble the car numbers of their favorite racers on their school notebooks and could recite engine specs from heart. I freely admit that the sport never reeled me in much. I could listen with some understanding and I did glance at the racing stories in the ‘Greensboro Daily News.’ I didn’t go to races and I feel like there was a kind of mild disapproval of the wastefulness of it all from my Deddy though he never said so. He minded his own business that way.

A lot of racing went down on the backroads of #DeepChatham and there was a great deal of fashion to it. Mag wheels and white letter tires, slicks, and spic’n span interiors were the order of the day. Burn-outs and doughnuts happened all over. Dudeing up your car was important. Trans-Ams, Mustang Shelbys, and 1967 Chevy Impalas turned high school parking lots into showrooms. In the days before the ubiquitous 24-hour ‘Pantry’ the crossroads gas station-mechanic-general store ruled the countryside. Closed down at ten, by midnight the dimly-lit area around it became a magnet for fancy cars, hood-sitting, and tale-telling. Those hang-out spots in the backcountry were nigh onto gang headquarters and to even pass by a particular outpost after a certain hour wasn’t done without some consideration first. Things went on at those spots. Cars sometimes raced. Motors revved and engines purred. Paper bags and styrofoam cups poorly hid the beer being downed.

IMG_4808.jpeg

The global backdrop for all of this was the “Gas Crisis” of 1973. Led by Saudi Arabia, the Arab OPEC countries called an embargo on nations that they rated as supporting Israel in the “Yom Kippur War” (October 1973). The USA was most prominent in that group. Oil prices therefore rose, with gasoline going from around .35 cents to .65 cents over the next 12 months. At times gas was even rationed and miles per gallon (MPG) immediately became a topic of conversation. Massive, LOUD engines were cast in a new light - at least for some. I suspect that the disapproval of car fashion and racing culture I sensed from the more traditionally frugal (my parents were painfully so - they were Great Depression kids after all) was fully exacerbated by this real crisis (which, as we now know, was just the first shot of many across the bow in our dependence on fossil fuel).

Locally, the flip side of the Gas Crisis was the building of ‘New 421’ through the heart of Chatham. That highway construction project, itself designed to bring relief from the often winding shoulderless two-lane ‘Old 421’ that ran from #Goldston through #BearCreek and #Bonlee to #SilerCity and on to #Greensboro, briefly resulted in some very fine straight-ahead, ‘officially’ unoccupied dragways before its opening to traffic in the late ‘70s. Plenty of young, local racers bit the bullet of shortages and rising prices to ‘Go Fast’ during those times. We lost some young people on those curvy old roads and plenty more survived close call crashes. I wrecked a car, my brother did too. Maybe ‘New 421’ saved a life or two. Just the same as I think back it seems a miracle that more didn’t die. The “Hey Y’all! Watch This!” worldview was strong in those times. I wonder how powerful that memory rings today?

I don’t know if racing is still a thing among the boys of #DeepChatham - I’m pretty sure that hunting, fishing, church, and choosing Carolina or State (sadly now-a-days dook is a legitimate choice as well despite the fact that few actual North Carolinians and even fewer #Chathamites attend or have EVER attended that institution since their mid-20th century turn toward enrolling primarily out-of-state) are still important to folks. Perhaps the country crossroads gas station parking lot gang gathering has gone the way of disco and dinosaurs? NASCAR itself has receded from the halcyon days of Petty and Earnhardt - is there even a race still held in North Carolina? And this leads to our #OnThisDay…

#OTD (September 18) in 1947 NASCAR founder Bill France and partners incorporated Hillsboro Speedway. The 1-mile oval seating 25K was known as The Occoneechee Speedway until ‘68. The 10-mile NASCAR opener on June 1, 1948 brought in 20K fans. Occonneechee Speedway, NASCAR in Orange County

I used to go to races at Orange County Speedway in the 90s when NASCAR was in its prime. It was always packed. The other day I was curious if they still raced there, so I found the website and saw they still do. But from looking at videos the crowds now look like they are 1/4 the size they were back in the 90s.

I used to go to races at Orange County Speedway in the 90s when NASCAR was in its prime. It was always packed. The other day I was curious if they still raced there, so I found the website and saw they still do. But from looking at videos the crowds now look like they are 1/4 the size they were back in the 90s.
Fried Bologna sandwiches

It was a big thing when I was young. Things like 340 "Cudas and Darts, 440 Dodge Coronets,396 Chevelle SSs, Mach I mustangs and z-28 Camaros were common. A friend had a 67 GTO with the 389 and another had a Judge. Another had a Dodge Daytona with a 426 Hemi. Those were the stock cars.

I knew another guy who had crammed a 427 Chevy engine into a Ford Model A chopped and lowered pickup that he drove on the road and also drag raced. It was called the Twister because the amount of torque in the light body made it hard to keep in a straight line and get a good time.

My widest memory (besides riding back from a party with a drunk driver in a z-28 running between 80-100 on twisty backroads. Never rode with him again. was when another acquaintance had just got his 327 Camaro out of his cousin's speed shop, had a couple of drinks, and decided to take a test drive. He chose a straight stretch going by my house. You could hear him coming a half mile away. You could hear him lose it a tenth of a mile away. Then there wasa loud noise in the yard and the house shook and my little sister screamed. I ran back and her bed had been knocked across the room and you could see through the corner of the house but I could tell she was just scared. Mom called the sheriff, I grabbed a flashlight and went outside. The driver was surprisingly well and ended up with just a couple of days in the hospital.

The nest day, I went out to see what all he had done. He had skidded about 100 feet down a shallow ditch, knocked down a speed limit sign, went across a highway, knocked down a mailbox, went across a dirt road, cut a guy wire, went another 25-30 feet, hit the brick steps, bounced off and hit the corner of the house about 3 feet off the ground. One rear wheel was torn off the car, the front axle was u-shaped and the top was crushed so it looked like a convertible.

He reported he was going 45 and lost it when he ran of the road.

Still an active track in the Triangle Its actually in Garner I think-off of 401, They call it Raleigh I guess. I can hear it a bit when they are racing at my home in Garner I need to get out there at laest once

Back in the day for me, there was a divide in who followed what sports. Then, for the lack of a better phrase, "farm boys" followed stock car racing and the "town boys" followed college sports. In elementary school this was a non-issue. But once we started getting older, it became an issue because there were just as many good athletes among the farm boys as there were among the town boys. So the coaches had to convince the farm boys to try out for sports teams and had to more to teach them about the sport.

And on top of this, the farm boys still had chores around the farm that just couldn't be time shifted. So no only did the coaches have to convince the farm boys, they had to also convince the parents too. Being a stock car fan was kind of a one-day a week thing, Sunday. But participating in a sport was a Monday through Friday thing.

Also, I can remember the pride that farm boys would take in describing how their father's had gone down to the Red Cross and given blood when "Fireball" Robert was caught up in a wreck during the Charlotte 600 in 1964. I have always liked to believe that a whole generation of blood donors were created as a result.

Back