Rare Copy of US Constitution Found in Edenton, Will Be Auctioned in #AVL

• Thread starter Thread starter donbosco
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 46
  • Views: 551
  • Off-Topic 

donbosco

Distinguished Member

“The copy was found inside a squat, two-drawer metal filing cabinet with a can of stain on top, in a long-neglected room piled high with old chairs and a dusty book case…” in the one-time Edenton home of Independence-era Governor Samuel Johnston (1787-1789). It will be auctioned off September 28th in #Asheville. A letter from George Washington accompanies the document.

A rare 1787 copy of the US Constitution is up for auction and it could be worth millions

Along with the Constitution on the broad sheet printed front and back is a letter from George Washington asking for ratification. He acknowledged there will have to be compromise and that rights the states enjoyed will have to be given up for the nation's long-term health.

"To secure all rights of independent sovereignty to each and yet provide for the interest and safety for all — individuals entering into society must give up a share of liberty to preserve the rest," wrote the man who would become the first U.S. president.

Wonder if this is open to international bidders? I'd assume so and despite the lack of connection, the investment potential and significance ought to attract a few. It'll be interesting to see what extra, if anything, people will pay to not let these out of American hands.

Seems fishy - the refusal to reveal the story on these documents since their ‘discovery.’

“The copy was found inside a squat, two-drawer metal filing cabinet with a can of stain on top, in a long-neglected room piled high with old chairs and a dusty book case…” in the one-time Edenton home of Independence-era Governor Samuel Johnston (1787-1789). It will be auctioned off September 28th in #Asheville. A letter from George Washington accompanies the document.

A rare 1787 copy of the US Constitution is up for auction and it could be worth millions

That GW note is super cool. Just imagine being one of the folks at the convention coming up with some nutty plan that had never really been tried before and hoping they could get enough support for it to be ratified. And they tried something similar a decade before and it failed. Why would those politicians squirreled up in Philly do any better this time? And then Washington is writing personal notes hoping it will pass. What a time.

Last edited:
IMG_4677.jpeg

“There are other items up for auction in Asheville including a 1776 first draft of the Articles of Confederation and a 1788 Journal of the Convention of North Carolina at Hillsborough where representatives spent two weeks debating if ratifying the Constitution would put too much power with the nation instead of the states.”

Tip o the hat to @NOVAHEEL13

“To secure all rights of independent sovereignty to each and yet provide for the interest and safety for all — individuals entering into society must give up a share of liberty to preserve the rest,” wrote the man who would become the first U.S. president.

Seems like Washington's appeal wouldn't go over too well with the "states rights" crew.

“To secure all rights of independent sovereignty to each and yet provide for the interest and safety for all — individuals entering into society must give up a share of liberty to preserve the rest,” wrote the man who would become the first U.S. president.

Seems like Washington's appeal wouldn't go over too well with the "states rights" crew.
George Washington....not a libertarian.

I have a hard time believing that a person whose career involves handling old and valuable documents would touch a 237 year-old “original” United States Constitution and a letter from George Washington without wearing gloves.

It sounds like the letter from George Washington might be a copy of the statement he gave to Congress (I believe that would be the Congress in place under the Articles of Confederation) when the Constitution was submitted for their consideration:

Very cool.

This is a bit of an aside, but I’m currently reading “Who’s Your Founding Father” by David Fleming (yes, the ESPN writer). It’s an extremely entertaining account of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence. Can’t vouch 100% for its accuracy, but it’s a great read that has taught me a lot I didn’t know about the history of the Charlotte area.

Back