Rare Copy of US Constitution Found in Edenton, Will Be Auctioned in #AVL

• Thread starter Thread starter donbosco
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 46
  • Views: 551
  • Off-Topic 
I'm not sure I'd teach it at all unless a student brought it up.

If I did teach it, I'd teach the Mecklenburg Resolves first and place those within the context of the American Revolution. Then I'd briefly discuss the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence and how the stories we tell about ourselves aren't always correct. I'd probably finish it off by pointing to the fact that the Mecklenburg Declaration date is still on the state seal/flag and how folks are very, very slow to let go of the false histories that we like in favor of the facts we know. (Which would make for a great eventual lead-in to the Lost Cause myths from the Civil War.)
This is what I should have said in the first place.

FULL STOP.

But, I have let the fact that there are people here in Mecklenburg County--where I live--who are extremely right-wing and are extremely vocal advocates of the "truth" of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence color my perception of it. Think about how you react when some Trumper trots out some bogus argument that you have heard dozens of times and you know the final line of the argument is, "And that is why God wants Donald J. Trump to be President again." That is how I react to arguments about the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence. For me it is part and parcel of the entire Right-Wing disinformation machine. For those of you who have not been bombarded with right-wing BS pretty much your entire life, as I have been, the notion that the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence probably is just another amusing story regadless of its dubious plausible. But for me, it's just another tale told around a burning cross in an open field.

Obviously I have a dog in this fight, but that comes across as one of the most sarcastic letters I have ever read in my life. The fact that it would needle Thomas Jefferson was probably just the cherry on top of this particular Ice Cream Sundae of a letter from John Adams.

More of a stab than a poke.

I'm pretty fond of the Halifax Resolves myself.
When I was a kid, I was a Boy Scout and participated in the Tuscarora Council's three part pilgramage for "God and County." Part One, in 1967, consisted of having my parents drive me Goldsboro, a distant 14 miles away, to board a chartered train, along with about 1,000 other Scouts for trip to Halifax to learn about the Halifax Resolves. While in Halifax, we were entertained by Sgt. Barry Sadler who sang "The Ballad of the Green Berets," among other songs. During the performance he told us that he was one of four Barry Sadlers performing that day in various parts of the county, but assured us he was the "real" one

Part Two, in June 1968, consided of five day, 100 mile hike from Seymour Johnson AFB in Goldsboro, NC to Bath, NC, where the oldest still standing church in NC was located. Again, about 1,000 Scouts. That was a BLAST. On Saturday, after arriving in Bath on Friday we had a big rally with lots of speakers, Bone McKinney being the most memorable.

Part Three, in October 1969, consisted of a whole bunch of rented Greyhouse Buses taking about 1,000 Scout to Washington, DC. We stayed at empty, unheated barracks at Quantico and visited the sites during the day. The climax of that trip was a reception on the South Lawn of the White House where we were greeted by Tricia Nixon. Supposedly, I was the first runner-up in who got to give a present to Tricia. The boy actually selected was way better looking than I was, but not as good a student. The highlight of the White House visit for me was when talking to a Secret Service agent and asking about a device on the White House grounds that looked just like the ground radar devices deployed around the B-52's at Seymour Johnson AFB. The Secret Service agent told me those were flood light used to illuminate the White House at night. I replied with an OK and said I was wondering if they were ground radar devices for detecting intruders at night. The Secret Service agent smiled and said, "We can't talk about that stuff."

Back