Social Security, August 14, 1935

donbosco

Distinguished Member
#OnThisDay - August 14, 1935. “President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Social Security Bill into law on August 14, 1935, only 14 months after sending a special message to Congress on June 8, 1934, that promised a plan for social insurance as a safeguard "against the hazards and vicissitudes of life." The 32-page Act was the culmination of work begun by the Committee on Economic Security (CES), created by the President on June 29, 1934, and became, as he said at the signing ceremony, ‘a cornerstone in a structure which is being built but is by no means complete.’ (For developments in the old-age benefits portion of the Act since 1935, see Martha A. McSteen, ‘Fifty Years of Social Security.’)” Link here to more text from The Social Security Administration: Social Security History

The woman standing behind FDR is his Secretary of Labor who chaired the committee that hammered out the details as to how Social Security would work. President Roosevelt was adamant that it was not to be a dole, but was to be based on contributions from the employer and employee.

The woman standing behind FDR is his Secretary of Labor who chaired the committee that hammered out the details as to how Social Security would work. President Roosevelt was adamant that it was not to be a dole, but was to be based on contributions from the employer and employee.

Francis Perkins

Correction: Frances Perkins
H/T to @Patb78

Last edited:
Our final grades were even posted on the wall outside of the prof’s office and we were identified there by our SS#.

But the list was still in alphabetical order.

Every asset I have-except a car-sits in some account or another at NCSECU. And my Debit and credit cards .
They are absolute Bad Azzes at protecting me if I get hacked-which I have

Every asset I have-except a car-sits in some account or another at NCSECU. And my Debit and credit cards .
They are absolute Bad Azzes at protecting me if I get hacked-which I have
100%, i've been with NSECU for over 40 years. Never one problem, my investments are elsewhere but everything else, they have it. Quick story. I had a large amount in Wachovia years ago and had been banking there for maybe 20 years. Showed up one day and was asked for my ID, didn't have it and most everyone in there knew me. She would not process my request. i could not get anyone to vouch for me. I called the Branch Manager told him to call and have his assistant branch mgr clear all my accounts and issue me a check. You should have seen the groveling, didn't work. Never trusted another bank, besides SECU.

Back