Special needs.

UNCatTech

Honored Member
ZZL Supporter
I realize that there are some people with special needs. I would honestly say that all three of my daughters have differing special needs.

But, I hate when it is used as a judgmental term.

When someone talks differently or acts a little different and others judge them or make comments like, he's different, maybe special needs.

It's actually hurtful for me to hear as I wonder what they would say about me or my children.

My youngest daughter struggles with anxiety and doesn't do well in social settings, she's also tested as on the autism spectrum. My wife and I discuss her needs and are working to help her acclimate to life, but we also realize that she may live at home with us for many more years. So, I do understand special needs, I just wish people wouldn't use it judgingly toward people that they have no knowledge of.

It is strange but true that just little slight "differences from the norm" of behaivor make folks flinch or feel uncomfortable etc. In a Grocery store an individual can walk just a little bit fast, or be just a little bit loud-or something about eye contact...and you can see people avoid them . It is familiarity I suppose I don't know But it is a "not good " part of our society.Thanks for the thread . You will have some informative replies I hope
Just love them Babies!!!

I have a 34 yr old son that is going through the same exact situation as your youngest daughter, it's a frustrating situation to be in especially when you have exhausted every avenue to provide some assistance for him to overcome his troubles. His depression and anxiety symptoms are very deep.
I myself have suffered from anxiety on 2 occasions, it's a scary thing when your mind can take control of your heartbeat and respiratory rate.
It's difficult being a parent when you don't know how to help and yet you've tried so many things but nothing seems to move the needle much.

I realize that there are some people with special needs. I would honestly say that all three of my daughters have differing special needs.

But, I hate when it is used as a judgmental term.

When someone talks differently or acts a little different and others judge them or make comments like, he's different, maybe special needs.

It's actually hurtful for me to hear as I wonder what they would say about me or my children.

My youngest daughter struggles with anxiety and doesn't do well in social settings, she's also tested as on the autism spectrum. My wife and I discuss her needs and are working to help her acclimate to life, but we also realize that she may live at home with us for many more years. So, I do understand special needs, I just wish people wouldn't use it judgingly toward people that they have no knowledge of.
Weaponization of terms like "special needs" and "autism" is abhorrent. A couple years ago, we had a lady at our old neighborhood pool use "autism" as a pejorative toward our younger daughter who was 5 at the time. She was misbehaving and talked back to the lady, and my wife and I made sure she knew that was not acceptable behavior. But how awful of a person do you have to be to weaponize terms like that against a child. It was especially hurtful because our son actually does have moderate-to-severe autism.

Also, I've struggled with social anxiety my entire life. It gets easier with age but has been debilitating at times. I wish your daughter luck in her journey to find peace.

Last edited:
As a teacher over the years I’ve become increasingly aware that my students have more ways of learning than I was originally prepared to tap into. It is a constant part of my class prep. I realize that there are smart people ‘out there’ that simply need for situations to be tailored for them to make the most of their varied ways of thinking and doing. I don’t mind admitting that it is hard work and not necessarily something all of my colleagues are tuned into doing.

My Ex was a Middle School teacher-intensely commited On occasion she would help parents that wanted to get their kid "categorized " as some kind of special needs. It would be a requirement for the School District to give them additional resources
Sometimes that seemed useful to the child-sometimes it seemed liked some "tag ' they would carry for the rest of their life . And the drugs.........

As a teacher over the years I’ve become increasingly aware that my students have more ways of learning than I was originally prepared to tap into. It is a constant part of my class prep. I realize that there are smart people ‘out there’ that simply need for situations to be tailored for them to make the most of their varied ways of thinking and doing. I don’t mind admitting that it is hard work and not necessarily something all of my colleagues are tuned into doing.
db,

I’d hazard a guess that you are an OUTSTANDING teacher. Anyone as introspective as you likely succeeds.

Back