Stand-up comedians...

I like Nate, Bill Burr is probably my fav right now.
Classic - Carlin, Murphy, & Pryor. Maybe some Steven Wright bits. Never found Cosby funny. Even back then. The "daddy's great/gave us some chocolate cake/the beatings will now begin" was about the closest I came to laughing at Cosby material. His 80s show was great - as we all watched back then.

Modern - Bill Burr, Jim Jefferies (particularly his specials at or before Bare), & Louis CK. Honorable mention for Bill Maher, who had some good stand-up routines before he went strictly political (though he always seemed to be leaning that way). His "translating rap lyrics into 'white' language" bit from I'm Swiss was awesome. Never got into Rogan or any of those guys. Sarah Silverman had some funny bits, but her specials were so-so, kind of like Ellen Degeneres. Jimmy Carr has some decent stuff too, as well as Tom Segura.

For my $$, Burr's Why Do I Do This, Let It Go, You People Are All The Same, & I'm Sorry You Feel That Way are modern classics. I know Louis CK had to go away or whatever, but his stand up specials...Live at the Beacon, Hilarious, Chewed Up, 2017, etc. were all great. I found his FX show Louie to be unique and singularly funny too, especially the untitled episode from late in the last season where he keeps having recurring bad dreams about some faceless naked dude chasing him around. His earlier HBO show Lucky Louie I don't think really landed as well, and even though it has its moments and the material is good, it's just missing something.

My favorites

Kathleen Madigan
Sarah Silverman
Tig Notaro
Wanda Sykes
Michelle Wolf

Jim Jeffries
Chris Rock
Patton Oswalt
Blake Clark
Lewis Black

Love the greats like Robin Williams, Carlin, Pryor, Rock

Current favorites
Burr
Jimmy Carr
Eddie Izzard
Jim Jeffries
Russell Peters
Russell Howard
Lewis Black
Jo Koy’s got some moments
Trey Crowder’s videos are great, but didn’t love his standup.

Current favorites:

Patton Oswalt
Anthony Jeselnik
Nate Bargatze
Jim Gaffigan
Dave Attell
Louie C.K.
David Cross
Bill Burr
Tom Segura
Shane Gillis
Jim Jeffries

Too many to list but my main guys are Mark Normand and Sam Morril. Mark has a recent one on Netflix called Soup to Nuts, but this one is better:

Sam has a brand new one on Amazon that I haven't seen yet. But here's one from a few years ago.

For some reason I like Key and Peele. Maybe it's the Mr. Garvey substitute teacher thing, A-A-Ron. Because, as it stands I actually did use to be a teacher for 20 years in the inner city and it hits close to home.

Back