Travel related discussion.

UNCatTech

Honored Member
ZZL Supporter
I've not traveled out of country very often in my life. As I grow older I have a great desire to see the beauty of the world.

I know many of you have traveled often. I thought it might be nice to discuss travels in general. Countries that impressed, positive experience, favorite destinations, etc.

I was reading about a Viking cruise starting in Iceland, visiting Greenland, and ending in NYC. I'm wondering if it's worth the cost or if I'd be better off planning my own trip.

As anyone used group trip services? My daughter has done this a few times and really enjoyed them, but she's young. I wonder how they would be for older travelers.

If you have never gone on a cruise, I would absolutely recommend one to get back into international travel. Get a room with a balcony. Being able to sit on a balcony, overlooking the ocean, at breakfast or for drinks at night, is well worth the extra cost.

Love this thread topic idea! Five years ago, my wife and I spent a full month in Southeast Asia in between medical school graduation and the start of residency. We did Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam- absolutely spectacular trip. I think that Angkor Wat at sunrise at 4 AM is the most breathtakingly spectacular thing I’ve ever seen in my life. The Cu Chi Tunnels in Vietnam were a really interesting experience, as well. I am a big military history buff, so visiting the Vietnam War museum in Ho Chi Minh City and then the Hanoi Hilton where John McCain was held in Hanoi, were really educational experiences. We also did a couple night cruise on Ha Long Bay.

I had been travel for work for about two years by the time we went on that trip, and I had saved up enough airline miles and hotel points for us to essentially fly to and from, and spend 31 nights in Asia, without paying out-of-pocket. The two islands which we went to and spent some time, Ko Sami in Thailand and Phu Quoc in Vietnam are the two most incredible beaches I’ve ever experienced.

Most recently, we spent a week and a half earlier this year in Rome, Florence, and Venice as I mentioned, I am a big history geek, and it was my first time in Europe so it was an incredible experience for me. My wife and I come from completely opposite end of the socioeconomic spectrum, so whereas she and her family had travel experience in Europe when she was growing up, I had never traveled outside of the United States until we went to Asia together in 2019. So Europe has always been a bucket list destination for me, in particular Italy because I am fascinated by ancient Roman history. My favorite part of the whole trip was getting to visit the ruins in Pompeii, whereas I think my wife’s favorite part of the trip was visiting Florence and the art museums.

I have definitely got the international travel itch now. There are so many places I want to experience. Our international traveling will probably slow down a little bit for the next few years as we have a young toddler, and as my wife transitions from medical training into her attending position. I think we may have a trip to Germany in the spring 2025 as my wife completes her fellowship training and is scheduled to present at an international pediatric surgery conference in Munich. But otherwise I imagine the next couple of years we will stay closer to home as we hopefully have a chance to grow our family.

But it is a huge priority for me to continue to travel abroad, and when our son gets old enough to be able to enjoy it, I would like to take him to places internationally. I could’ve never even dreamed of traveling internationally when I was a kid, so I want that for my family.

I've not traveled out of country very often in my life. As I grow older I have a great desire to see the beauty of the world.

I know many of you have traveled often. I thought it might be nice to discuss travels in general. Countries that impressed, positive experience, favorite destinations, etc.

I was reading about a Viking cruise starting in Iceland, visiting Greenland, and ending in NYC. I'm wondering if it's worth the cost or if I'd be better off planning my own trip.

As anyone used group trip services? My daughter has done this a few times and really enjoyed them, but she's young. I wonder how they would be for older travelers.
For that viking cruise, that's a lot of sea days. You will spend a lot of time looking at the ocean or enjoying the amenities on a fairly cramped floating resort.

If you are looking at a cruise, consider a river cruise where you will enjoy a new city every day, a Mediterranean cruise where you will enjoy a new city almost every day, or a Caribbean cruise where you will see a new island every day. Figure out the types of places you like and want to see more of and then book more land travel.

Last edited:
I'm generally a fan of Viking, but cruise ships are a terrible way to see Iceland. Go to Guidetoiceland.is and they will help you plan a trip. There is a direct flight from RDU. Rent a four wheel drive vehicle and see the country. Don't bother with more than a day or two in Reykjavik. Its easy to drive in Iceland and very safe. People are friendly and 98% speak English. I've been several times.

If you have never gone on a cruise, I would absolutely recommend one to get back into international travel. Get a room with a balcony. Being able to sit on a balcony, overlooking the ocean, at breakfast or for drinks at night, is well worth the extra cost.
Yes, I've been on 3, all to the Caribbean.

I like the idea of the river boat cruises, but haven't done one yet.

This on seems pretty nice. But I was reading about Alaskan cruises and lots of people said to avoid the big boats and go with smaller local boats.

I lived in Europe for most of 7 years (1985 to the end of 1991).
Been to over 30 countries, lost count. (no, not in military, I was a busker)
Highly recommend travel of any kind anywhere. Just go. Do. See.

As far as Viking cruises I’ve never done that, but at 65 year old and watching a lot of PBS, the wife and I look at those adverts, and wonder.
For a first trip abroad I wouldn’t suggest it though. Plan your own excursion first. Travel by train.

For group travel… my wife and I took 12 High School Spanish students on a trip to Spain for 10 days over Easter Break back in 2002 or so… One of those Educational field trip group services. It was ok. Not great but ok.

Bon Voyage!

A cruise is a nice way to dip your toes into the water.

I would recommend a cruise that goes through Croatia, Greece, etc. My wife and I just did a trip to Italy/Croatia/Slovenia this past spring. Would heartily recommend. We have gotten to the point where we plan everything ourselves, so that saves some money. Also being able to go solo allows much more flexibility.

Love this thread topic idea! Five years ago, my wife and I spent a full month in Southeast Asia in between medical school graduation and the start of residency. We did Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam- absolutely spectacular trip. I think that Angkor Wat at sunrise at 4 AM is the most breathtakingly spectacular thing I’ve ever seen in my life. The Cu Chi Tunnels in Vietnam were a really interesting experience, as well. I am a big military history buff, so visiting the Vietnam War museum in Ho Chi Minh City and then the Hanoi Hilton where John McCain was held in Hanoi, were really educational experiences. We also did a couple night cruise on Ha Long Bay.

I had been travel for work for about two years by the time we went on that trip, and I had saved up enough airline miles and hotel points for us to essentially fly to and from, and spend 31 nights in Asia, without paying out-of-pocket. The two islands which we went to and spent some time, Ko Sami in Thailand and Phu Quoc in Vietnam are the two most incredible beaches I’ve ever experienced.

Most recently, we spent a week and a half earlier this year in Rome, Florence, and Venice as I mentioned, I am a big history geek, and it was my first time in Europe so it was an incredible experience for me. My wife and I come from completely opposite end of the socioeconomic spectrum, so whereas she and her family had travel experience in Europe when she was growing up, I had never traveled outside of the United States until we went to Asia together in 2019. So Europe has always been a bucket list destination for me, in particular Italy because I am fascinated by ancient Roman history. My favorite part of the whole trip was getting to visit the ruins in Pompeii, whereas I think my wife’s favorite part of the trip was visiting Florence and the art museums.

I have definitely got the international travel itch now. There are so many places I want to experience. Our international traveling will probably slow down a little bit for the next few years as we have a young toddler, and as my wife transitions from medical training into her attending position. I think we may have a trip to Germany in the spring 2025 as my wife completes her fellowship training and is scheduled to present at an international pediatric surgery conference in Munich. But otherwise I imagine the next couple of years we will stay closer to home as we hopefully have a chance to grow our family.

But it is a huge priority for me to continue to travel abroad, and when our son gets old enough to be able to enjoy it, I would like to take him to places internationally. I could’ve never even dreamed of traveling internationally when I was a kid, so I want that for my family.
Uh oh. You’ve got the travel bug.
If you have a choice of places to stay in Munich, try the Mariandl Hotel Am Beethovenplatz. It’s near the train station and just a few blocks from Marianplatz - the big main, pedestrian only stretch, near Hofbräuhaus, night life Etc.

It’s a cool old school hotel steeped in history.

Uh oh. You’ve got the travel bug.
If you have a choice of places to stay in Munich, try the Mariandl Hotel Am Beethovenplatz. It’s near the train station and just a few blocks from Marianplatz - the big main, pedestrian only stretch, near Hofbräuhaus, night life Etc.

It’s a cool old school hotel steeped in history.
I believe Hofbräuhaus is where we ate dinner when I was in Munich in 1998, for work.

traveling is the absolute best.

everyone should travel as much as they feasibly can. lots of you are plenty older than me and i'm preaching to the choir with this advice.

i'm currently trying to plan multiple trips. i have a week in sosua, DR coming up in november and also really want to get back to england ASAP for a couple of soccer matches prior to the new year and i'm looking at germany and guatemala for winter/spring 2025.

OP, have you been to the UK yet? places where english is the dominant language are good for getting your international travel feet wet.

I’m interested in folks’ “must see cities”. I’ve been fortunate to experience a lot of the western US and its expansive natural glory, but I’m plagued by a genetic disorder that makes lengthy plane travel quite difficult in the moment, and for days after. As such, I don’t fly more than 3 hours unless obligation or the incomparable calls. So far, this thread has mentioned Paris and London.

Last edited:
I like the idea of picking places with Unesco world heritage sites, w a chance of natural beauty, combined with some yummy food and other culture, finally a shoulder season that fits my schedule.

I’m interested in folks “must see cities”. I’ve been fortunate to experience a lot of the western US and its expansive natural glory, but I’m plagued by a genetic disorder that makes lengthy plane travel quite difficult in the moment, and for days after. As such, I don’t fly more than 3 hours unless obligation or the incomparable calls. So far, this thread has mentioned Paris and London.
Keeping with N America and doable flights, Montreal is a really neat city. Feels very European. And Poutine is awesome. 2+ hr flight from NC.

San Juan, PR isn't amazing, but it's close-ish and feels foreign, plus has some neat history, a nice natty park and yummy food. 3.5 hrs

Last edited:
traveling is the absolute best.

everyone should travel as much as they feasibly can. lots of you are plenty older than me and i'm preaching to the choir with this advice.

i'm currently trying to plan multiple trips. i have a week in sosua, DR coming up in november and also really want to get back to england ASAP for a couple of soccer matches prior to the new year and i'm looking at germany and guatemala for winter/spring 2025.

OP, have you been to the UK yet? places where english is the dominant language are good for getting your international travel feet wet.
No I've not been to the UK.

A couple comments:
- totally agree with gt on the cruise advice. I’d add that I much prefer cruises in Europe over anywhere else because they highlight ports. Big up to the Danube river cruise.

-for people starting to travel to Europe, I think the basic 3 for Americans are the Uk, France and Italy (for Latin Americans, swap Spain for UK). London, Paris and Rome can get really crowded and you’ll feel the tourist hordes, but they just have some of the most basic sights that you can always complement with particular interests. Once you have those three covered, you can branch out to the “secondary” destinations, which really depends on your interests.

There are so many destinations I’ve really loved in Europe: Andalusia in Spain, Copenhagen, Berlin (some fascinating places there), Vienna, Florence, Estonia, Budapest. I’m not a big fan of unpacking and packing too often…much rather prefer staying in one spot for longer periods.

-my favorite travel destination has been Japan. It’s like going to a different planet…things are just very different. Awesome food (no one comes close). Big culture shock, clash of history and tradition with modernity. I would go back in a heartbeat. It is a place for the advanced traveler.

-Latin America is more of a rustic destination, mixing in natural beauty with some cultural places (Mexico, Peru, Buenos Aires).

Back