UNC Drops out of Top 10 Faculty Salaries

• Thread starter Thread starter donbosco
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 16
  • Views: 212

donbosco

Distinguished Member

Of course it is complicated — salaries at system schools range from modest to pitiful.

Of course it is complicated — salaries at system schools range from modest to pitiful.

Do you know if this groups All faculty?-ie Med School stuff really is a different ball of wax and really should be separate??

This is purely, purely anecdotal and anecdote is not the plural of data, but my wife is in the early stages of the recruitment process for a faculty physician position at UNC, and the salary range they shared- even before any eventual potential post offer negotiation, signing bonus, relocation bonus, etc.- was every bit as competitive for her specialty as some private practice offers she has entertained. We were actually really pleasantly surprised because in general, academic medicine pays a little bit lower than private practice medicine, and also because UNC does have a reputation of paying below market value. The other thing is that at it appears that UNC does a fantastic job with the non-salary benefits stuff too.

I don’t have any idea about general university academic faculty salaries and how they compare at UNC to our peers, but I do know that I’ve read that UNC has been losing key faculty members to schools like Duke, Emory, UVA, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, etc. because of compensation.

This is purely, purely anecdotal and anecdote is not the plural of data, but my wife is in the early stages of the recruitment process for a faculty physician position at UNC, and the salary range they shared- even before any eventual potential post offer negotiation, signing bonus, relocation bonus, etc.- was every bit as competitive for her specialty as some private practice offers she has entertained. We were actually really pleasantly surprised because in general, academic medicine pays a little bit lower than private practice medicine, and also because UNC does have a reputation of paying below market value. The other thing is that at it appears that UNC does a fantastic job with the non-salary benefits stuff too.

I don’t have any idea about general university academic faculty salar ies and how they compare at UNC to our peers, but I do know that I’ve read that UNC has been losing key faculty members to schools like Duke, Emory, UVA, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, etc. because of compensation.
Glad to hear it But of course that is 90% (or whatever) Clinic income And Arts ands Sciences must rely on our legislature And yes your wife's benefits package at UNC is wholly different from the A and S benefits package ( I know you know this CFord )
Fun Fact Until about 1990 the Practice Plan contributed 30% of salary to a retirement fund. The folks that worked those years retired with really sweet TIAA-CREF accounts. They eventually had to stop-IRS said it was a form of Tax evasion They all got 30% raises that year

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see a comparison among a broader group of universities. I suspect we’d see a relative drop for publics in Republican dominated states, with the possible exception of Texas, Florida, GT.

It would be interesting to see a comparison among a broader group of universities. I suspect we’d see a relative drop for publics in Republican dominated states, with the possible exception of Texas, Florida, GT.
In our 16 member "group" Florida remains 14-as they were a couple decades ago
I am surprised dook is in our peer group honestly

The anti-UNC state legislature is smiling,rubbing its hands together, and saying " I love it when a plan comes together. "

The anti-UNC state legislature is smiling,rubbing its hands together, and saying " I love it when a plan comes together. "
The Pubs would love to get rid of public universities all together and have everyone go to private schools or community college. Not saying there is anything wrong with learning a trade at a community college. But they hate education unless it's in a private Christian school and they can make a profit off it.

The Pubs would love to get rid of public universities all together and have everyone go to private schools or community college. Not saying there is anything wrong with learning a trade at a community college. But they hate education unless it's in a private Christian school and they can make a profit off it.
Trades are OK because they probably can't indoctrinate you into being a librul if you are learning welding or HVAC.

Surprised UNC is anywhere near top 10. I would have guessed Ivy League, schools where cost of living is really high like NYU, schools with massive endowments, and tech schools with large industry and government research grants.

UNC has a med school, law school and business school but so do a whole lot more than 10 other schools.

Edit: ah, its peer Universities. That's a lot smaller pool of competitors and makes more sense.

Surprised UNC is anywhere near top 10. I would have guessed Ivy League, schools where cost of living is really high like NYU, schools with massive endowments, and tech schools with large industry and government research grants.

UNC has a med school, law school and business school but so do a whole lot more than 10 other schools.
Top 10 amongst UNC and 15 peer institutions.
HYPSM and UChicago are probably above all of these schools. Columbia and Penn as well.

In our 16 member "group" Florida remains 14-as they were a couple decades ago
I am surprised dook is in our peer group honestly

Its the same labor market. Very easy for a faculty member to switch from UNC to Duke or vice versa for purpose of compensation.

I'm a little surprised to see NW and Hopkins on there (the latter for medical faculty?). I'm guessing they want a handful of private universities that are peer institutions. Would have thought Georgetown would be a better peer than NW (both will have higher salaries as urban schools).

Its the same labor market. Very easy for a faculty member to switch from UNC to Duke or vice versa for purpose of compensation.

I'm a little surprised to see NW and Hopkins on there (the latter for medical faculty?). I'm guessing they want a handful of private universities that are peer institutions. Would have thought Georgetown would be a better peer than NW (both will have higher salaries as urban schools).
I have known 1 that went from Duke to UNC-early in their career . I have known 4 that went from UNC to Duke-3 in a branch of Surgery , 1 in Poli Sci-yes compensation . I guess my original point was that we just are not going to meet their salaries -But you are 100% correct its theoretically easy to switch

Back