2024 Political Polls

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 2K
  • Views: 55K
  • Politics 
Why do you believe “prices of everything (are) now out of control?”
And by that, I mean, why do you believe something that flies in the face of readily available data?
In politics, most people vote based on how they feel their life is under the current administration vs the hope of a new one. 2024 is a unique election because Trump has been the president before too. So many people will be asking themselves which 4-year period their dollar stretched further in, and that will determine their vote.

In politics, most people vote based on how they feel their life is under the current administration vs the hope of a new one. 2024 is a unique election because Trump has been the president before too. So many people will be asking themselves which 4-year period their dollar stretched further in, and that will determine their vote.
Obviously, but that isn’t what I asked you.

Why do you believe “prices of everything (are) now out of control?”
And by that, I mean, why do you believe something that flies in the face of readily available data?
There are many things that have created the situation where prices are out of control. Some of which are under the purview of politicians and others that aren’t. But the question is who voters trust to fix it.

There are many things that have created the situation where prices are out of control. Some of which are under the purview of politicians and others that aren’t. But the question is who voters trust to fix it.
Sigh. I am asking why you, HeelYeah2012, believe that prices are out of control when the data says that prices not very much not out of control. The high inflation days are over, for now at least.
If you don’t believe that is true, why not?

Sigh. I am asking why you, HeelYeah2012, believe that prices are out of control when the data says that prices not very much not out of control. The high inflation days are over, for now at least.
Platitudes are all you shall receive in this exchange.

You don’t think the price of groceries and housing is out of control? When inflation is 9% for a year or two (far outpacing wage growth), and then it normalizes from there to 2-3% (to match wage growth), workers are still behind from the 9% inflation time period.

That’s why I’m focusing on price levels and not inflation, because it’s the inflation from 2 years ago that is still killing people.

You don’t think the price of groceries and housing is out of control? When inflation is 9% for a year or two (far outpacing wage growth), and then it normalizes from there to 2-3% (to match wage growth), workers are still behind from the 9% inflation time period.

That’s why I’m focusing on price levels and not inflation, because it’s the inflation from 2 years ago that is still killing people.
You sure about that?

Since February 2020, the Consumer Price Index has climbed a cumulative 20.8%, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics data. Over that same period, average hourly earnings rose 22.3%.

The chart below shows the result: Inflation-adjusted hourly earnings (the yellow line) have increased 1.5% since December 2019, indicating a net gain for workers' average spending power.

Not trying to be argumentative or insert myself into y’all’s conversation, but where and how exactly are grocery prices out of control right now? I’m asking sincerely, because I haven’t seen it. Prices on poultry, eggs, and produce seem to be pretty normal now, and have been for most of the last year or so with supply chains more stabilized post-pandemic. And housing prices are out of control because of a lack of inventory, are they not?

It’s just hard for me to take seriously most fear-mongering about the economy when American consumer spending is at all time highs, and spending on vacation travel (and more specifically the number of people taking vacations period) hit all time highs this summer. The American public certainly isnt *acting* like the economy is in as bad of shape as the right wing would like everyone to believe in an election year.

Lawtig02 with the receipts. HY1012 is typically always wrong....at least since covid began. I'm sure folks remember those "good times" under his hero Trump. He's not just wrong he's either totally obtuse or willfully ignorant. Me thinks this new improved ignore button is in his and my future. I was hoping that maybe he'd stop but honestly his "DEI" posts indicates no change.

not sure i can personally take anything seriously that has florida in play
Florida is rapidly turning into a disaster zone under DeSantis’s leadership with skyrocketing insurance rates and climate-related castrophes exacerbated by the insurance problems. I believe marijuana and abortion are both on the ballot this fall too. Now, I’m wirh you in that I’ll absolutely believe Florida goes blue when I see it, but I think it’s definitely “in play” this fall.

Back