2024 Political Polls

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 2K
  • Views: 55K
  • Politics 
I just participated in my very first ever political poll, from Emerson College. Said that I am independent/unaffiliated, strongly approve of the job which Joe Biden has done as president, strongly approve of Kamala Harris, strongly disapprove of Donald Trump, will vote for Kamala Harris, strongly approve of the job which Roy Cooper has done as governor, strongly approve of Josh Stein, strongly disapprove of Mark Robinson, cannot vote for Josh Stein as I won’t live in NC this voting cycle.

I just participated in my very first ever political poll, from Emerson College. Said that I am independent/unaffiliated, strongly approve of the job which Joe Biden has done as president, strongly approve of Kamala Harris, strongly disapprove of Donald Trump, will vote for Kamala Harris, strongly approve of the job which Roy Cooper has done as governor, strongly approve of Josh Stein, strongly disapprove of Mark Robinson, cannot vote for Josh Stein as I won’t live in NC this voting cycle.
But you made sure to pay at least a dozen immigrants to vote for you right?

Continually unsurprised but shocked at the margins ttump continues to hold with veterans. The sniveling scumbag has shit on vets over and over and over. I suppose it’s hard to break free from the hypermasculinity brainwashing and rural town milieu.
What's the age breakdown on vets? I'm guessing that there are a lot of boomers in there because of the draft in Vietnam but I don't know. Obviously most vets are men, since women are still only about 20% of the armed forces and that's an all-time high.

So the category of "veterans" includes a lot of old and older men. So you'd expect a big Trump tilt regardless. I agree, it's hard to fathom how they support Trump given how much he shits on them, but a lot of the old-timers who were drafted into the military probably share his disdain of the generals. I don't know -- there are lots of people who can talk to this issue far better than I can.

What's the age breakdown on vets? I'm guessing that there are a lot of boomers in there because of the draft in Vietnam but I don't know. Obviously most vets are men, since women are still only about 20% of the armed forces and that's an all-time high.

So the category of "veterans" includes a lot of old and older men. So you'd expect a big Trump tilt regardless. I agree, it's hard to fathom how they support Trump given how much he shits on them, but a lot of the old-timers who were drafted into the military probably share his disdain of the generals. I don't know -- there are lots of people who can talk to this issue far better than I can.

Veterans can really be any age. If you enlist at 18 and serve four years, you're 22 at discharge and you're considered a veteran at that point.

I think you have to consider the fact that, after the Vietnam era, this is a volunteer military. I don't work with a lot of commissioned officers so I can't speak to that group, but many of the veterans and service members I have met either enlisted either directly after high school or only completed some college. Many times they have grown up in rural areas or small towns that would skew conservative. Plus you are basically taught during service not to question authority. Based on my general experience, it's not a surprise that veterans would more frequently vote Republican.

Veterans can really be any age. If you enlist at 18 and serve four years, you're 22 at discharge and you're considered a veteran at that point.

I think you have to consider the fact that, after the Vietnam era, this is a volunteer military. I don't work with a lot of commissioned officers so I can't speak to that group, but many of the veterans and service members I have met either enlisted either directly after high school or only completed some college. Many times they have grown up in rural areas or small towns that would skew conservative. Plus you are basically taught during service not to question authority. Based on my general experience, it's not a surprise that veterans would more frequently vote Republican.
I know that veterans can be any age. But what ages are more common? That would depend, I think, on the history of war and military. More troops at a time = more veterans of that age.

As for the not questioning authority bit, I'm with you 100% and agree that it would tend to lead to GOP support . . . but Trump is the one questioning the authority! When he's talking shit about the "generals," you'd think that would be a turnoff.

I know that veterans can be any age. But what ages are more common? That would depend, I think, on the history of war and military. More troops at a time = more veterans of that age.

As for the not questioning authority bit, I'm with you 100% and agree that it would tend to lead to GOP support . . . but Trump is the one questioning the authority! When he's talking shit about the "generals," you'd think that would be a turnoff.
Suckers and losers are going to suck and lose

It's the way of things.

Prepare to be inundated with calls and texts asking you to participate in a poll...

Think there’s some heavy correlation here, not causation. For that matter, I’d think that it’s less “being a veteran means one is more likely to vote Trump” and more “voting for Trump means one is more likely to be a veteran”.

Back