2024 Presidential Election | 43 Days to Election Day

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 4K
  • Views: 91K
  • Politics 
YES!!!!! this is seriously needed.

we are all absolutely effing SICK AND TIRED of shelling out boatloads of money to banks/utilities/health insurers/etc/etc and not being able to speak with an actual human to get help when problems inevitably arise.

it goes well beyond poor customer service. it is predatory BS. they don't give a crap if whatever they're selling you doesn't work or isn't serving you properly.
I’ve grown tired of saying, “Customer Service Rep” 15-20 times to the phone when calling a bank, credit card company, medical insurance, etc.

Yep. Trump and his band of loons exposed areas of weakness in the process where we relied (too much) on norms and people operating in good faith. There were several laws passed to shore up those weaknesses and I'm sure there will be more. A VP could, even without a riot, decide not to certify an election, right? We need rules to account for that.

We need laws and rules to nullify public pressure like protesters/riots. That's why SCOTUS justices are appointed for life. We have the electoral college to protect us from bad actors getting into the presidency, though I think that's pretty much run its course.

All I'm saying is that the J6 rioters had no way to take over the government and force Trump back into office any more than rioters had a way to stop Kavanaugh becoming a justice.
Who was president on J6 2021? Do you get embarrassed by such stupidity? You should.

Project 2025 is the brain child of lunatics. There's exactly zero chance Trump has read a single page of that document. He's already disavowed P2025.

Again, we're talking about what has a realistic chance of happening and a president ending/ruining the country is just not going to happen.

This type of hyperbole is par for the course during election time. Republicans said that if Biden won, they'd go door to door confiscating guns, outlaw home schooling, a national mask/vaccine mandate, free healthcare for illegal immigrants... the list was long.
Have you ever studied Weimar Germany and the rise of the Nazis?

Yep. Trump and his band of loons exposed areas of weakness in the process where we relied (too much) on norms and people operating in good faith. There were several laws passed to shore up those weaknesses and I'm sure there will be more. A VP could, even without a riot, decide not to certify an election, right? We need rules to account for that.

We need laws and rules to nullify public pressure like protesters/riots. That's why SCOTUS justices are appointed for life. We have the electoral college to protect us from bad actors getting into the presidency, though I think that's pretty much run its course.

All I'm saying is that the J6 rioters had no way to take over the government and force Trump back into office any more than rioters had a way to stop Kavanaugh becoming a justice.
I think you're saying the protestors had no way to take over the government just by temporarily taking over one building where the government meets, which is perfectly true.

But, "No way to force Trump back in office" is more questionable. Some of them wanted to kill Pence before he certified. What if they'd succeeded at that task while Trump was still president?

I think you're saying the protestors had no way to take over the government just by temporarily taking over one building where the government meets, which is perfectly true.

But, "No way to force Trump back in office" is more questionable. Some of them wanted to kill Pence before he certified. What if they'd succeeded at that task while Trump was still president?
If they were able to get to Pence, then we have bigger issues.

But IF they got to him and killed him, then I'd assume that whoever is takes Pences place would certify, right?

If they were able to get to Pence, then we have bigger issues.

But IF they got to him and killed him, then I'd assume that whoever is takes Pences place would certify, right?
Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress."
So how might that work in a divided Legislature-in less than a few weeks

Independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. has been disqualified from appearing on New York's general election ballot after a judge ruled Monday that he falsely claimed a New York residence on his nominating petitions, leading to their invalidation.

Judge Christina Ryba ruled that Kennedy's claim of a New York address as his "place of residence" was a "false statement," concluding that it was evident he had no plans to move back to the Empire State and said he only listed the location for political gain. Ryba's ruling is expected to be appealed by the Aug. 15 deadline. If her ruling is upheld, it would bar Kennedy from the New York ballot and potentially spark challenges in other states where he used a New York suburban address to collect signatures.

"The overwhelming credible evidence introduced at trial established that Kennedy's connections with the [New York] address existed only on paper and were maintained for the sole purpose of maintaining his voter registration and political standing in the State of New York," Ryba wrote. …”

Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress."
So how might that work in a divided Legislature-in less than a few weeks
Like I said, if the mob is actually able to get to Pence, which would mean that the Capitol security is even more incompetent than Secret Service at a Trump rally we have much bigger issues.

But, the process would play out as quickly as it would and the election would be certified.

Like I said, if the mob is actually able to get to Pence, which would mean that the Capitol security is even more incompetent than Secret Service at a Trump rally we have much bigger issues.

But, the process would play out as quickly as it would and the election would be certified.
“As quickly as it would”? What does that even mean?

Given a divided congress, the process of seating a new VP would be long and drawn out. And Trump wouldn’t wait around for the process to play out.

Who the hell knows what would transpire in that couple weeks............

You ‘Bo-side your ass off.

Odds are you’re a Trumplican.

Tonights Daily Show was pretty good. They did a good job highlighting some of the campaign stuff Trump just trots out again. I'm about to watch the Mark Cuban interview that's the 2nd half of the show.

(starts at the campaign stuff but the preceding Willie Brown and other stuff is great)

“As quickly as it would”? What does that even mean?

Given a divided congress, the process of seating a new VP would be long and drawn out. And Trump wouldn’t wait around for the process to play out.
It means, like other required federal processes, it takes as long as it takes to play out. Trump wouldn't have a choice but to wait around. He's not a king. He can't declare himself winner. There's no Constitutional or legal basis for that.

music video 80s GIF

If I listen to your lies, would you say
I'm a man (a man) without conviction
I'm a man (a man) who doesn't know
How to sell (to sell) a contradiction
You come and go, you come and go

Swiftboating and flip-flopping attacks. Feels like 2004 all over again.

During softball sessions on Fox, Hannity/Ingraham/etc actively try to steer Trump away from trouble and towards the correct response. Is Elon ready for that part of the job?
Well, first you have to consider if Elon knows what the right direction to steer Trump would even be. And after hearing him say "yeah" 5,000 times in agreement with Trump's nonsense, I don't think he had a clue.

Back