2024 Presidential Election | 46 Days to Election Day

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 4K
  • Views: 88K
  • Politics 

Real question here. I know that they won’t be counting the votes until Election Day, but straw polls can start to give an indication of what the turnout looks like. I’m confident that the progressives will show up unlike anything we’ve seen before, but I don’t love the idea of signaling that to the republicans early, and giving them the message that they need to start showing up. How is that being handled?

A bit surprised we have not heard more about the possibility of a tie in the electoral college. Have seen some mentions but does feel like a distinct possibility. There can be a great discussion about whether the electoral college should be set up so that such a tie is even possible. Not sure if Nebraska and Maine should be continued to have the separate district approach for the future. Have seen there is quite a battle in Nebraska brewing over that....saw on CNN a few days ago a projection where Harris wins with 270 and the Nebraska district making the difference. That could be a mess.
I had to look up to remind myself what happens if there is a tie. I knew the House would get to elect the President but I could not remember exactly how the process worked. It is not a straight up vote out of the 438 reps. Each state gets one vote. While the Repubs have the majority and the vote by states most likely would go for Trump, I do wonder if there might be enough Repubs in certain states that would go the other way to elect Harris.

A bit surprised we have not heard more about the possibility of a tie in the electoral college. Have seen some mentions but does feel like a distinct possibility. There can be a great discussion about whether the electoral college should be set up so that such a tie is even possible. Not sure if Nebraska and Maine should be continued to have the separate district approach for the future. Have seen there is quite a battle in Nebraska brewing over that....saw on CNN a few days ago a projection where Harris wins with 270 and the Nebraska district making the difference. That could be a mess.
I had to look up to remind myself what happens if there is a tie. I knew the House would get to elect the President but I could not remember exactly how the process worked. It is not a straight up vote out of the 438 reps. Each state gets one vote. While the Repubs have the majority and the vote by states most likely would go for Trump, I do wonder if there might be enough Repubs in certain states that would go the other way to elect Harris.
No question that in that scenario, the majority of states would elect Trump. But I’d also put the odds of an electoral college tie at way less than 1%.

A tie is a loss. Not much to debate. Our system is bullshit but we defer to century's old dead slave owners to determine a president

Back