Are you a Union Supporter-or just a SCAB

• Thread starter Thread starter mpaer
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 22
  • Views: 318

mpaer

Esteemed Member
ZZL Supporter
Biden's words that the middle class was made possible because of Unions resonates with me . Traditional " heavy industry " jobs have decreased along with their Union membership. Various States (Ex number 1 Wisconson ) have gone after Unionization of traditional Public Sector Unions. Dixe States and some others have long battled effective Unionization with so called "right to work Laws". The millions of not really documented immigrant workers , who fill all the really bad jobs , of course have an impossible time unionizing-in most States .

As a long time State of NC employee (in HR) I can say unequivacably that we would be very well served to have Union Contracts in the most nasty jobs-such as thousands of Correctional Officers, Health Care Aides in State Facilities . These jobs are chronically understaffed and maybe worse-chronic turnover. Yes collective bargaining would increase cost of salaries-but likely Decrease overall cost through efficiencies of having long term , better qualified Staff who are better at their job'
Here is a Wikepedia list of the largest Unions in the USA

So are you a Union person-or a SCAB?

I see Unions as an added layer of Management-an employee oriented layer It is overall a good thing

Trump tonight praised Elon for firing employees who were striking. He must have forgotten he pretends to be pro-union during campaign season.

Never been a member but am pro-union, pro-labor because my dad was a lifelong member in WNC (ENKA). My grandfather was involved in strike in 1941 before WWII started. My dad said Enka generally looked after workers (maybe since they were Dutch), but the union was still needed.

I grew up in a Piedmont mill town so “union” was always a dirty word. I’m older and wiser now, but I still marvel at how well industry and government in NC managed to convince most of the people in this state to believe unions were the devil. It’s not just a southern thing, I lived in Alabama for 5 years and their attitude toward unions was vastly different than the outright animosity toward unions I grew up with in NC. From the old steel mills in Birmingham to the shipbuilding and dockworkers in Mobile, unions were an accepted and appreciated part of blue collar life in AL.

I went to Kentucky a few years ago to check out the Bourbon Trail. Heaven Hill was having a strike at the time. Despite it being one of my favorite distilleries, I crossed it off the list.

I don't cross a picket line.

I grew up in a Piedmont mill town so “union” was always a dirty word. I’m older and wiser now, but I still marvel at how well industry and government in NC managed to convince most of the people in this state to believe unions were the devil. It’s not just a southern thing, I lived in Alabama for 5 years and their attitude toward unions was vastly different than the outright animosity toward unions I grew up with in NC. From the old steel mills in Birmingham to the shipbuilding and dockworkers in Mobile, unions were an accepted and appreciated part of blue collar life in AL.
The big tobacco works in Derm were unionzed for decades-thats about it lol

I think it's a fair statement that unions and organized labor along with government interventions like OSHA actually saved capitalism as a viable entity. Karl Marx was absolutely correct about the plight of the worker in the economic realities in which he wrote Das Kapital. What he didn't foresee was the ability of the worker to organize and change the system radically enough to make capitalism palatable to the masses without requiring a full blown revolution like was seen in Russia and China.

The big tobacco works in Derm were unionzed for decades-thats about it lol
If I recall correctly, NC was historically the least unionized state in the nation. Or at least among the least unionized.

Back