Ask the ZZL: HVAC

• Thread starter Thread starter Igs149
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 23
  • Views: 274
  • Off-Topic 
I have not considered a heat pump. So would definitely be curious on benefits. / drawbacks.

System set up is 3 AC units. Each with separate thermostats. One for the bottom floor (under the house). One for the upstairs (in the attic) and one for the bonus room (as it is upstairs but walled off). The single furnace is in the attic.

No duct work “work” is contemplated as far as I can tell. The air vents / ducts look like they are in good shape but what would I know.

As to layout, it is pretty open concept downstairs …. Walk in door (with double high foyer), stairs to left, then double high living room straight ahead. Master is on the right downstairs. And the room over it basically has a cat walk that runs to it. Have a little trouble cooling that far room likely because it’s so easy to lose the AC and it’s a pretty long run for the vent over there.

As to queries - does 14/16 SEER sound right for an upstairs I described.

As to staging or variable units, would those be needed. Or is that nice to have but unnnecessary.

Are there any brands that are a hard no or you’d highly recommend. Right now, at just about $10k the Rheem install is my best price. Would get a 16SEER single stage AC and the two stage furnace described above.

Also basic metro pricing. Is $10k ballpark reasonable sounding? Should I keep looking. If I can be doing it for $6k, I would. If it’s gonna be $9k, but I could have the guys here for $10k tomorrow that seem reputable…I might just stick with what I have.
So the unit in the basement, doesn't have heat, just a blower for the AC?

That's an interesting setup.

Heat rises, so it's normally harder to heat the downstairs.

I would go with 16 SEER and the 60K BTU furnace, since it is for upstairs, which is a small area.

For 1000 sq ft you should only need a small AC, maybe 2 ton. $10K seems like a lot for a 2 ton 16 SEER unit and an 80% efficient 60K BTU furnace and no duct work. Even if it is a Trane, which are normally more expensive.

Rheem makes just as good a unit.

I would still investigate the Heat pump because of the tax credits and since it is a small space that you are working to condition.

I did agree that it is high.

Really need more information from the OP as to what is being installed.
What would be helpful?
So the unit in the basement, doesn't have heat, just a blower for the AC?

That's an interesting setup.

Heat rises, so it's normally harder to heat the downstairs.

I would go with 16 SEER and the 60K BTU furnace, since it is for upstairs, which is a small area.

For 1000 sq ft you should only need a small AC, maybe 2 ton. $10K seems like a lot for a 2 ton 16 SEER unit and an 80% efficient 60K BTU furnace and no duct work. Even if it is a Trane, which are normally more expensive.

Rheem makes just as good a unit.

I would still investigate the Heat pump because of the tax credits and since it is a small space that you are working to condition.
Thanks. This is helpful. Will try and grab another couple of quotes before we go all in.

Currently, my best is the $10.2 quote for Reem which is the 2-ton 16 SEER single stage AC and a 80%/75 btu two stage gas furnace (the 2 stage is only because they quoted me for a single stage and now only have a 2-stage for a this week install and so are honoring the original quote).

Yeah I’m not sure if the furnace is in the attic because it’s genuinely enclosed as to being in the crawl space under the house where the other AC unit is.

Side note, I’m pretty certain the unit solely for the bonus room / mudroom is a Trane heat pump by the way.

The Trane quote was even higher if you can believe it. $13.5 after rebates. So looks like I may just have started with a few high quotes. Same thing happened when we had to switch the hot water heater. Ended up getting a much better deal just shopping around for quotes.

What would be helpful?

Thanks. This is helpful. Will try and grab another couple of quotes before we go all in.

Currently, my best is the $10.2 quote for Reem which is the 2-ton 16 SEER single stage AC and a 80%/75 btu two stage gas furnace (the 2 stage is only because they quoted me for a single stage and now only have a 2-stage for a this week install and so are honoring the original quote).

Yeah I’m not sure if the furnace is in the attic because it’s genuinely enclosed as to being in the crawl space under the house where the other AC unit is.

Side note, I’m pretty certain the unit solely for the bonus room / mudroom is a Trane heat pump by the way.

The Trane quote was even higher if you can believe it. $13.5 after rebates. So looks like I may just have started with a few high quotes. Same thing happened when we had to switch the hot water heater. Ended up getting a much better deal just shopping around for quotes.
For what it is worth, since I live in Phoenix which is a far different animal, I put in a new unit this spring:

XR16 TRANE 4T 16 SEER2 Two Stage for $11.4k

I had quotes for 4T units:
single stage $7-9k
two stage up to $11-18k
multi stage up to $20-21k

AC units are not going to last as long in Arizona and I'm not sure how much the two stage is a benefit when it is 110 degrees.

I'd do some research online and it's definitely worth a consumer report subscription if they have done some evals.

I think most of the big brands have a generic option. Ideally it would be the exact same as the Trane or Rheem without the marketing costs baked in. That's what my HVAC guy told me last time we needed to get something new but who knows.
I had a generic version of Trane heat pump installed about 12 years ago, sized for 2600 sq ft. An independent guy installed it. Total cost was around $5k; I think that would be $7k now.

Back