• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 300
  • Views: 4K
  • Sports 

nycfan

Curator/Moderator
ZZL Supporter
I figure with the new indexing system Rock is rolling out, we could afford to have one college football thread and one stand-alone UNC football thread.

Plus there were a couple of really good early games this past weekend to kick things off. The FSU loss to GaT in Dublin was a well-played game for being so early and had the feel of a late-season tilt. The upset may put the ACC behind the 8-ball in terms of getting a playoff bid — if FSU is as good the rest of the way as their fans thought they would be.

Meanwhile, Montana State struck a blow for the FCS with a 4th quarter Comeback from a 17-point deficit at New Mexico.

Go Jackets! Although I've seen this movie before. Expecting a 7-5 season with a loss to VMI, a loss that scare's Notre Dame and a pasting by UGA.
Could certainly happen, but if I'm a GT fan, I am very enthused at what I saw out of the offensive line on Saturday. It was no fluke. They relentlessly bullied Florida State for pretty much 60 full minutes of game time. A physical running game travels. Tech got the ball back with something like 6:30 left in the game on Saturday and never relinquished it.

[GaT is the only one they list from the ACC]

Best games (on paper) this coming week:

Georgia v Clemson — Noon Saturday

Penn State @ WVU — Noon

Miami @ Florida — 3:30 pm Sat

Notre Dame @ TAMU 7:30 pm Sat

Southern Cal v LSU - 7:30 pm SUN (Vegas)

Could certainly happen, but if I'm a GT fan, I am very enthused at what I saw out of the offensive line on Saturday. It was no fluke. They relentlessly bullied Florida State for pretty much 60 full minutes of game time. A physical running game travels. Tech got the ball back with something like 6:30 left in the game on Saturday and never relinquished it.
If GT gets the ball first against the Heels, they could run out the 1st half in one possession. 3 yds. 4 yds. 3 yds. Go for it on any 4th down. Repeat. Repeat.

If GT gets the ball first against the Heels, they could run out the 1st half in one possession. 3 yds. 4 yds. 3 yds. Go for it on any 4th down. Repeat. Repeat.
That gives me PTSD thinking about the Paul Johnson days. In particular my senior year where we scored 50 points....and lost by 18. They didn't really even run their triple option that day, and they didn't need to. I still see the fullback dive and toss sweep to the A-back in my nightmares!

That gives me PTSD thinking about the Paul Johnson days. In particular my senior year where we scored 50 points....and lost by 18. They didn't really even run their triple option that day, and they didn't need to. I still see the fullback dive and toss sweep to the A-back in my nightmares!
I’m not gonna “like” that poast; but, it’s accurate.

Can someone give me the quick two paragraph summary of UNC this year? I know you guys lost May. How well are you guys supposed to do? Offense or defense stronger? Running or passing more?

It’s UNC football. Same as it always was.

So astronomical expectations with five star recruits and an All-American QB followed by cratering fan support after you lose to Wake Forest?

We have very low expectations at the beginning of the season, buoyed by a big win and then we are crushed when we lose to Middle Tennessee State about four games in.

Can someone give me the quick two paragraph summary of UNC this year? I know you guys lost May. How well are you guys supposed to do? Offense or defense stronger? Running or passing more?
Season win total is 7.5

Max Johnson is QB (transfer from Texas A&M and LSU). Obviously a downgrade at QB
O-Line has only one returning starter and is relying on a bunch of portal transfers and newcomers. O-line coach had sepsis at beginning of Fall Camp.
Best RB in the country
WRs are TBD. Lots of No. 2 guys. Not sure if there is anyone who can replace the Tez Walker speed from last year.
In sum, O should be more run heavy and will likely score less than last year. How much worse remains to be seen.

Defense got two new coaches. Chiz is out as D-coordinator, replaced by your favorite, Geoff Collins. Tim Cross is out as D-line coach. replaced by Monachino from the Colts. Hopefully, that will be a coaching upgrade. TBD
The secondary should be much improved, provided no injuries.
The lbs are hopefully solid, but we lost all-acc Ced Gray and the backup didn't get a lot of run last year (and is starting this year with a broken hand)
D-line will tell the tale this year. Lots of experience and high school talent on the line, but has yet to show up in first five years of Mack 2.0. The ends are much stronger on paper than the tackles. Is this the year the light comes on? Who knows?

Lots of variables this year. If the lines can gel, we could get to 9-10 wins. If the lines underperform and QB is a train wreck, we could have trouble getting to .500.

As a season-ticket holder for Kansas football because season tickets cost about a buck 95, our fans expectations are wildly unrealistic this year.

Yes, Lance Leipold has done an absolutely amazing job turning around what was the worst program, statistically and every other way, possibly ever, but we have fans thinking the college football playoffs are a possibility.

I've been hurt by sports too many times to consider such things.

So astronomical expectations with five star recruits and an All-American QB followed by cratering fan support after you lose to Wake Forest?

We have very low expectations at the beginning of the season, buoyed by a big win and then we are crushed when we lose to Middle Tennessee State about four games in.
We don't lose to Wake under Mack.

We save our upset losses for Ga Tech, FSU and Virginia.

Season win total is 7.5

Max Johnson is QB (transfer from Texas A&M and LSU). Obviously a downgrade at QB
O-Line has only one returning starter and is relying on a bunch of portal transfers and newcomers. O-line coach had sepsis at beginning of Fall Camp.
Best RB in the country
WRs are TBD. Lots of No. 2 guys. Not sure if there is anyone who can replace the Tez Walker speed from last year.
In sum, O should be more run heavy and will likely score less than last year. How much worse remains to be seen.

Defense got two new coaches. Chiz is out as D-coordinator, replaced by your favorite, Geoff Collins. Tim Cross is out as D-line coach. replaced by Monachino from the Colts. Hopefully, that will be a coaching upgrade. TBD
The secondary should be much improved, provided no injuries.
The lbs are hopefully solid, but we lost all-acc Ced Gray and the backup didn't get a lot of run last year (and is starting this year with a broken hand)
D-line will tell the tale this year. Lots of experience and high school talent on the line, but has yet to show up in first five years of Mack 2.0. The ends are much stronger on paper than the tackles. Is this the year the light comes on? Who knows?

Lots of variables this year. If the lines can gel, we could get to 9-10 wins. If the lines underperform and QB is a train wreck, we could have trouble getting to .500.

Collins is a heck of a recruiter. If Mack can keep him on a short leash and maybe teach him a thing or two, he could be a heck of a coach. He was a disaster for us.

Collins is a heck of a recruiter. If Mack can keep him on a short leash and maybe teach him a thing or two, he could be a heck of a coach. He was a disaster for us.
Recruiting isn't the issue. Teaching defense has been the issue.

Unfortunately, it looks like Ga Tech got the best available D-coordinator on the market this past off season. I would have much preferred to hire your guy.

I push back on this narrative that we always have crazy unrealistic hype and preseason expectations.

That was the case for the pathetic 2021 season when we were top 10 week and then went 6-6, for sure. Otherwise though, when is the last year we actually had high preseason expectations and then fell woefully short?

Back