College Football Catch-All Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 300
  • Views: 4K
  • Sports 

still mad at Bongo for not giving Brooks the ball at State. Up 9 at State, cold November. Inside 2 minutes in forth. Again, up 9. First and goal, Brooks had 124 yards rushing and we never ran it. Not once. Didn't give him the ball. Rednecks scored 2 TDs to win. Will never forgive Bongo. Hope he fails at Whisky.

still mad at Bongo for not giving Brooks the ball at State. Up 9 at State, cold November. Inside 2 minutes in forth. Again, up 9. First and goal, Brooks had 124 yards rushing and we never ran it. Not once. Didn't give him the ball. Rednecks scored 2 TDs to win. Will never forgive Bongo. Hope he fails at Whisky.
Of all the brutal losses we’ve taken under Mack 2.0, imo this one was the worst in hindsight. The last 2 minutes of that game were a masterclass in ineptitude.

Of all the brutal losses we’ve taken under Mack 2.0, imo this one was the worst in hindsight. The last 2 minutes of that game were a masterclass in ineptitude.
The 2021 game at NC State, the 2022 game at home against Georgia Tech, and the 2023 game against Virginia at home are probably the three biggest candidates for inclusion in the “Carolina Football ‘What The Fuck’ Losses” Hall of Fame.

The 2021 game at NC State, the 2022 game at home against Georgia Tech, and the 2023 game against Virginia at home are probably the three biggest candidates for inclusion in the “Carolina Football ‘What The Fuck’ Losses” Hall of Fame.
The remaining Mack defenders out there need to take a day to sit in silence with no distractions and watch those games in their entirety back to back to back.

There’s no way that anyone with a brain could do that and come away thinking that our coaching staff is anything other than profoundly incompetent.

The remaining Mack defenders out there need to take a day to sit in silence with no distractions and watch those games in their entirety back to back to back.

There’s no way that anyone with a brain could do that and come away thinking that our coaching staff is anything other than profoundly incompetent.
One time is a coincidence. Twice is a problem. Three times is a trend.

That is a great look. That’s my favorite road uniform combination. The more Carolina blue, the better, in my opinion.
I HATE the constantly changing uniforms. Play the road uniform (Blue Helmet, White Jersey, Blue Pants) 95+% of the time; play the home one (Blue Helmet, Blue Jersey, White Pants) even more!

Pull out a special uniform once in a blue moon (maybe once in 3-4 years).

One time is a coincidence. Twice is a problem. Three times is a trend.
Those are only the tip of the iceberg too lol. 2020 @FSU, 2021 @ VT, @ GT, 2022 ACCCG vs Clemson, 2023 @ GT, Dook (even though that was a W), @ NCST, were all games where the team either looked completely unprepared from the jump and/or were marred by horrendous game management coaching decisions.

Longo bears some blame but a defense that couldn't stop 2 TDs within 2 minutes of each other has to be the primary culprit.
And of course Mack went out and found the only guy in the United States who could manage to make that defense even worse, and hung onto him and defended him at every turn for the best two years of quarterback play we might ever see in Chapel Hill. Can't believe he has any defenders.

I find fault with the decision to hire and retain the same DL coach moreso than his choice of DC.

Longo bears some blame but a defense that couldn't stop 2 TDs within 2 minutes of each other has to be the primary culprit.
And of course Mack went out and found the only guy in the United States who could manage to make that defense even worse, and hung onto him and defended him at every turn for the best two years of quarterback play we might ever see in Chapel Hill. Can't believe he has any defenders.
1st and goal, less than 2 minutes in cold weather and we did't run once. That loss was on the OC.

The Swiss cheese defense and questionable offensive play calling from Longo wouldn’t have even mattered if we had simply recovered the onside kick.

Man, we really had to dig deep and pull out all of the stops to give that game away lol.

Oh, I lettered for three years but I wasn't a player. I was the head coach's student assistant/team manager. I worked for Butch at the end of his tenure, for Withers during the interim year, and for Fedora during his first year. My only claim to fame on a field as it pertains to UNC football was serving as the stand-in punter during a live punt-block practice drill my sophomore year involving....Bruce Carter.
While not the best teams from an W-L perspective, you certain ended up in an interesting 3 year period to have a sideline view of the team and its operations. I would love to hear your stories.

As far as your on-field contributions...I'm glad you lived to tell us about it. 🤣

I find fault with the decision to hire and retain the same DL coach moreso than his choice of DC.

I can't believe Chizik just somehow forgot how to coach that top talent after winning a few national championships. Maybe he just lost the fire sitting on all those millions. I guess the same thing might be said about Mack.

I can't believe Chizik just somehow forgot how to coach that top talent after winning a few national championships. Maybe he just lost the fire sitting on all those millions. I guess the same thing might be said about Mack.
Chizik’s one national title was the definition of lighting in a bottle, riding the coattails of Gus Malzahn’s offense and Cam Newton producing one of the best individual seasons even. How he even got hired at Auburn in the first place after winning 5 games total in 2 seasons at Iowa State is baffling. After the title he bottomed out very quickly without Malzahn.

For all of our gripes about his second stint at UNC, Mack is an infinitely more accomplished coach than Chizik. The two can’t even be compared, to be honest.

Here's the write up from one of our local radio guys [who, once upon a time was Seanie the Cablanasian on the Jim Rome Smack Off]:
Rookie British Brooks stealing the fullback job is a phenomenal story
The running back room has been one of the deepest position groups throughout camp, and Brooks, an undrafted rookie out of North Carolina, was probably the longest shot of any back in that room to make the team. However, two things happened. First, Brooks closed out the 28-10 win over the New York Giants in the third preseason game with a strong fourth quarter, including two touchdown bursts. Second, with all of the potential solutions at quarterback either (a) injured (Andrew Beck, (b) floundering (Troy Hairston), or (c) listed as a tight end (Cade Stover, Brevin Jordan), Brooks showed some hutzpah as a fullback in the final days of practice and the preseason finale against the Rams. THIS is how you steal an NFL roster spot as an undrafted rookie, by any means necessary.

It was proven literally game one when he screwed up the last minute of the south carolina game and they somehow got a snap at midfield with a chance to win

I HATE the constantly changing uniforms. Play the road uniform (Blue Helmet, White Jersey, Blue Pants) 95+% of the time; play the home one (Blue Helmet, Blue Jersey, White Pants) even more!

Pull out a special uniform once in a blue moon (maybe once in 3-4 years).
Felt like Fedora was the one who really went to the extreme with the different uniform variations.

I think the players kind of dig the special uniforms. Too much waters it down IMHO...I'd deviate maybe once per season.

It was proven literally game one when he screwed up the last minute of the south carolina game and they somehow got a snap at midfield with a chance to win
Oh man. I had totally forgotten the 4th down kneel down at midfield. I am now triggered.

Chizik’s one national title was the definition of lighting in a bottle, riding the coattails of Gus Malzahn’s offense and Cam Newton producing one of the best individual seasons even. How he even got hired at Auburn in the first place after winning 5 games total in 2 seasons at Iowa State is baffling. After the title he bottomed out very quickly without Malzahn.

For all of our gripes about his second stint at UNC, Mack is an infinitely more accomplished coach than Chizik. The two can’t even be compared, to be honest.

He also won one at Texas as DC in 2005 (with Mack), and was second place in 2004 as DC at Auburn. He won the Broyles award as the top assistant in 2004 and had the top defense in the country. He knew how to coach back then. I just can't understand what happened the last year or two.

Back