Cover Songs Featuring Highly Skilled Musicians

• Thread starter Thread starter an0maly
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 287
  • Views: 3K

So good. Not sure it qualifies as a "cover" precisely, but I'ma gonna post it anyway.

Another song so good it almost doesn't matter who covers it... but how about Bowie's Life on Mars? done as a circus waltz... Even if it's not your cup of tea give it till the 45-60 seconds mark or so, it might grow on you.

ETA: This is what I think the very best covers do. They A) Put their own 100% authoritative stamp on the song and take it in a new direction, but at the same time they B) somehow paradoxically retain 100% of what made the original great. Most covers either manage one of A or B. Very few covers can manage both A & B at the same time and that's what raises them above all the others.

Last edited:
If you need a good energy jolt this is by far the best cover of any Jame Bond song, and it also covers what is by far the best James Bond song. This is one where it should be loud enough that your neighbors can enjoy it too.

If you're drunk on the high energy above, let's go ahead and put you under the table. This is probably the best cover I have found from big time pros. Herewith are Jimmy Barnes (Australia's Robert Plant), Joe Bonamassa (possibly the top blues electric player), Brad Whitford (Aerosmith rhythm guitar), Arlan Schierbaum (simply wicked skilled long time studio recording organist), Michael Rhodes (legendary bass player, with Vince Gill and many others), Anton Fig (superb drummer most known from the David Letterman show band).

Some not so bad musicians here. You could go with most songs in the concert. I chose this one.

Back