Early Halloween thread

I know there are many who love Halloween, but count me as one of the few who would ban Halloween if given the power to do so.

The tradition at our house is to turn out all of the lights and refuse to answer to the door. When it reached the point that there were teenagers from other neighborhoods knocking on our door for candy, we decided to shut it down.

So in our small neighborhood we deliver candy to the families with little kids the day before and then hunker down on Halloween night waiting for the incessant doorbell ringing to cease😡

When our son was little, he wanted to know why we kept saying Michelle Bachman was so bad and to simplify we told him Michelle Bachman wanted to ban Halloween. She had an enemy for life since then. LOL. He probably doesn’t even recall now why just hearing her name enrages him.

I know there are many who love Halloween, but count me as one of the few who would ban Halloween if given the power to do so.

The tradition at our house is to turn out all of the lights and refuse to answer to the door. When it reached the point that there were teenagers from other neighborhoods knocking on our door for candy, we decided to shut it down.

So in our small neighborhood we deliver candy to the families with little kids the day before and then hunker down on Halloween night waiting for the incessant doorbell ringing to cease😡
If your light is out, they should not ring the doorbell.

Warn us next time. That was a shock to my system. 😁

My family pretty much loves any holiday where we can decorate. I've got boxes and boxes full of Halloween decorations.

But to be honest, I'm not feeling it this year. We will see how it goes.

If we decorate, I'll post pictures. None as scary as what the OP posted.

What does this have to do with that ugly face above?

We solved Halloween by holding it at our brewery. We have it all decorated and have the parents bring the candy they would give out at the house. The kids wander around the tables and beer garden getting candy and interacting with the other kids. It's a ball. We started this as a last minute pivot several years ago when there were bad storms in the area. The response was so overwhelming and positive that we have made it an annual thing. The parents drink beer, the kids have a ball and it's just a cool thing. And we aren't at home answering the door all night.

Halloween is my wife's favorite thing so she really gets into it.
866de586-1e6e-4f1b-ab7a-8459740be3ed-1_all_8751.jpg

We solved Halloween by holding it at our brewery. We have it all decorated and have the parents bring the candy they would give out at the house. The kids wander around the tables and beer garden getting candy and interacting with the other kids. It's a ball. We started this as a last minute pivot several years ago when there were bad storms in the area. The response was so overwhelming and positive that we have made it an annual thing. The parents drink beer, the kids have a ball and it's just a cool thing. And we aren't at home answering the door all night.

You have your own brewery?!

I love Halloween.

I also love that our town has neighborhoods that welcome the rural children to come and trick or treat. So the first reply to this thread kind of rubbed me the wrong way

Wow, heelinhell, that's taking "get off my lawn" to a new level.

No issues with kids sneaking a sip?
:)

As a divorced dad with two boys in their teens so the time for us doing the Halloween thing has long since passed and I'm happy about that. I never decorated but I did take them around when they were younger.

My GF OTOH fucking LOVES decorating for Halloween despite her boys all out of the house. Of course bc I'm the BF it's now on me to put her $10000 of blowup decorations out and make sure they're anchored so they don't blow into the lake (she lives in a lakefront 100yr old log cabin).

I'm one of those who just puts a shitton of candy outside with a sign pointing to my camera saying take 2 pieces and I'll know if you take more. Then leave for the night.

What does this have to do with that ugly face above?
The thread title is "early Halloween thread" so I was offering my early opinion about Halloween👺

But regarding the ugly face above, if it came to my door I might blast it with my EagleStone Shark Electric Water Gun🤤

I have to admit I’m fairly lukewarm toward Halloween. Once I stopped trick or treating as a kid, I was pretty indifferent about it. I finally got excited about it again when my first child had his first Halloween. But putting him in costume at that very young age was like torture for him.

I do get joy in seeing my kids enjoy it, but they don’t even enjoy as much as I would have expected. They just want to get as much candy as they can as quickly as possible, so their enjoyment of Halloween is fairly short lived. Once they outgrow the trick or treating phase, I think any enthusiasm I have for Halloween will be pretty much gone.

I would always want for Halloween to exist because I remember how much joy it gave me as a kid and how much joy other kids (and adults) get out of it. But once my kids are no longer into it, I personally could take it or leave it.

Yeah, we love Halloween at my house, and we don’t even have trick-or-treaters out my way. We do decorate - borderline overboard, but my son loves it as much as we do, so… he’s already wanting to watch Halloween cartoon specials. My daughter’s only one, so she doesn’t get it yet. But she will.

Back