FBI says Trump struck by bullet or its fragment; Assassination Attempt Investigations

Not there. Even the fragments would have huge forward velocity. It would take something much stronger than ear cartilage to redirect them so sharply.

Also, wouldn't there be a difference between an intact bullet hitting his ear directly and grazing it? Remember tangent lines in calculus where a line just touches a curve? Just pointing out that its is possible that the bullet just kissed his ear.
All of that said, if you asked me to place a bet on what happened, I'd go with the same glass/bullet fragments that hit the other agents on/near the stage. He probably did hear the bullet whizzing by that we saw in NY Times photos.

While I agree with you in general, I'm not sure this applies to the ear. The cheek is your face. It's scary because if the BB had been a real bullet, you would have been dead or seriously injured.

Also, the truly traumatic effects of the AR-15 come from the bullet fragmentation when it hits the body. I don't know if that's only a function of the (hollow-point?) bullet or also the velocity of the round, but in any event, the floppy ear just cannot deliver the same force against the bullet as even, say, belly fat (let alone bone or muscle). It would be much less likely to fragment, imo.

Now, if you're making your comment specific to Trump, I would tend to agree. Trump seems to me like the kind of guy who would howl in pain for 5 minutes from a jammed finger.
I would also argue that you could have a minor injury if your ear just barely got grazed. The part of the bullet/ear that made contact could be almost infinitesimally small. If that were the case, there wouldn’t be a lot of tumbling or fragmentation or even if there was it would have already passed the nick of the ear.

All of that said, his injury is more of a cut that extends down the ear. Can’t see any way a bullet would create that without ripping his ear and head apart.

Has anyone investigated the angles to even determine if it was possible for the ear to be grazed without it going through his head? As best as I can tell he would have to be looking almost directly at the shooter or slightly to the right for that to even be possible. Any slight left turn from that angle and the back of the head would be blown off and too far to the right and the ear would be behind cheek/eye.

Last edited:
Also, wouldn't there be a difference between an intact bullet hitting his ear directly and grazing it? Remember tangent lines in calculus where a line just touches a curve? Just pointing out that its is possible that the bullet just kissed his ear.
All of that said, if you asked me to place a bet on what happened, I'd go with the same glass/bullet fragments that hit the other agents on/near the stage. He probably did hear the bullet whizzing by that we saw in NY Times photos.

It is hysterical that he is sticking to the story that he was hit in the ear by an AR-15 round.

Without medical evidence, which the Trump campaign refuses to provide, the NYT's "forensic analysis" indicates he was hit by a bullet.
John Candy Reaction GIF

Do you know what would clear up all of this speculation really quickly and definitively? Releasing the medical report! Until or unless that happens I am going to have no choice but to believe the Trump appointed Director of the FBI, whose assessment is that shrapnel is just as likely to be the cause of the ear injury as an actual bullet.

I’m going to throw my 2 cents in. It doesn’t matter to me if it was a bullet or shrapnel that hurt Trumps ear. He was hurt in an assassination attempt and that’s all that matters. Yes he milked it with his ridiculous bandage, but as much as I dislike the man he handled getting shot at extremely well.
Plenty of things to get mad at Trump about let’s leave this one alone.

I’m going to throw my 2 cents in. It doesn’t matter to me if it was a bullet or shrapnel that hurt Trumps ear. He was hurt in an assassination attempt and that’s all that matters. Yes he milked it with his ridiculous bandage, but as much as I dislike the man he handled getting shot at extremely well.
Plenty of things to get mad at Trump about let’s leave this one alone.
I agree and I disagree. I completely agree that ultimately what matters is that there was an assassination attempt on the life of a former American POTUS who is also a candidate to be POTUS again. It is reprehensible. It is horrible. It should be condemned in the strongest possible terms. There is no denying that there was an assassination attempt made, and there is no denying that Trump was wounded in the attempt. And thank God Almighty he was not more seriously wounded, or worse.

That said, for me the issue is the simple fact that Trump continues to lie about....literally everything. He lies about big things. He lies about small things. He lies about significant things. He lies about insignificant things. He lies about everything. Virtually every public statement that he ever makes contains a lie. There was no reason for him to lie about whether it was a bullet versus shrapnel. There was no reason for his campaign to not be completely forthcoming with the medical report. There was a legitimate attempt made on his life- that is bad enough and serious enough as it is. Whether he was hit by a bullet, or shrapnel, or even if he hadn't been hit at all by anything, it is still unimaginably horrible that an American presidential candidate was subjected to an assassination attempt in 2024.

So why lie and obfuscate? Not one single person whose opinion is worth listening to or considering would have said "oh, whew, Trump was only hit by shrapnel that was created by a gunman firing an AR-15 at his head, it's not so bad!" Nobody would say that, and if they did, they are an utter imbecile. So the fact that Trump is most likely lying about what hit him, and the fact that we have received ZERO medical report or psychological evaluation of an American presidential candidate who was about a quarter-inch away from having his head blown off in front of the entire world, means that Trump quite literally cannot be trusted about anything or with anything. And to me, that is so incredibly disqualifying for someone who wants to hold the highest office in the land.

I just meant that, with what we know about what AR-15 caliber rounds do physiologically to the human body, it would seem completely implausible for anyone who was hit in any way shape or form by something so powerful and so destructive to be able (or have the desire) to immediately jump back up and pump their fist. I got hit in the right cheek by a BB from a BB gun in high school, and the instant pain and shock of it was debilitating for several minutes. Just hard to fathom that a human ear could get hit with a high caliber round fired from an AR-15 and have the person to which it is attached bounce right back up and pump their fist.
Wonder what would be the result if he had a bump stock.

Back