GOP in Louisiana and Oklahoma requiring 10 Commandments, Bible in Public Schools

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 47
  • Views: 1K

nycfan

Curator/Moderator
ZZL Supporter
Louisiana Governor has a simple solution to parents who object:

“Louisiana Gov. Jeff Landry has a suggestion for parents who don't believe the Ten Commandments should be displayed in public school classrooms throughout the state.

"Tell your child not to look at them," he told reporters Monday. …”

——
Easy, peasy

Last edited:
(Continued)

“… Given that Republicans hold a supermajority in both chambers of the state Legislature, which has allowed Landry to push forward a conservative, tough-on-crime agenda, the governor upheld the Ten Commandments law as an example of how "the majority gets to rule."

"I don't see what the whole big fuss is about," he said Monday. …”

If it will shut the MAGA types up, just post this and be done with it.
Screenshot_20230404_094543_Samsung Internet.jpg

this is so stupid and a colossal waste of everyone's time. I'll eagerly await the Satanic Temple's response to so egregious an overstep.

200.gif

How about a compromise ?

Substitute the 10 Suggestions to replace the 10 Commandments

1 ) Do not place value on those things that violate your moral conscience

2 ) Do not become obsessed with taking selfies

3) Refrain from using profanity

4 ) Devote one day a week to reflect upon those things you hold dear

5 ) Cut your mom and dad a break

6 ) Don't kill anyone

7 ) Don't cheat on your boyfriend or girlfriend

8 ) Don't steal stuff

9 ) Don't tell lies about others

10 ) Don't be jealous if someone has more likes on Tik Tok than you do

What a BS way of getting them displayed. Complete violation of the separation of church and state. Pubs want to turn every school into a Christian school, and only their version of Christian extremism will do.
Church attendance continues to steadily drop across the country - now even in rural areas and among Evangelical churches - so they're getting desperate. Forcing their religion to be taught in public schools is one of their last-gasp attempts to forcibly convert schoolkids to their version of Christianity. I don't think it will work and will instead backfire and likely lead to even sharper drops in church attendance, but they seem dead set on trying.

I've said this many times on the ZZLRIP, but Christians of this ilk have quite the empathy problem. They never seem to ask, "how might we feel if a majority group of Muslims wanted the Pillars of Islam posted in public buildings or the Quran taught in schools? Maybe we should just agree to live by our own rules in our own community and let the rest of the public believe what they choose to believe, as we are all guaranteed under the 1st Amendment to the Constitution. We don't have to accept their beliefs but this way we can all live in peace and we can still protect our own Christian community/ies." 🤷‍♂️

I've said this many times on the ZZLRIP, but Christians of this ilk have quite the empathy problem. They never seem to ask, "how might we feel if a majority group of Muslims wanted the Pillars of Islam posted in public buildings or the Quran taught in schools? Maybe we should just agree to live by our own rules in our own community and let the rest of the public believe what they choose to believe, as we are all guaranteed under the 1st Amendment to the Constitution. We don't have to accept their beliefs but this way we can all live in peace and we can still protect our own Christian community/ies." 🤷‍♂️
They've asked the question of "How might we feel if a majority group of Muslims wanted the Pillars of Islam posted in public buildings or the Quran taught in schools?" to themselves plenty of times.

However, they don't come to a "live and let live" answer.

Their response is to double down on forcing Christianity into schools. If Christianity is being taught in schools, then they don't have to worry about anything else being taught. And in their minds, an absence of any religion being taught is a win for atheists/agnostics since that means their non-religious views are being taught.

The added bonus is this also makes them extremely xenophobic in order to do everything possible to ensure that Muslims, Hindus, etc. don't get a substantial foothold into their communities or our country.

Church attendance continues to steadily drop across the country - now even in rural areas and among Evangelical churches - so they're getting desperate. Forcing their religion to be taught in public schools is one of their last-gasp attempts to forcibly convert schoolkids to their version of Christianity. I don't think it will work and will instead backfire and likely lead to even sharper drops in church attendance, but they seem dead set on trying.
This continuing trend toward a more secular society is what gives me hope for my kids and grandkids.

“Louisiana Gov. Jeff Landry has a suggestion for parents who don't believe the Ten Commandments should be displayed in public school classrooms throughout the state.

——
Easy, peasy
I’m guessing that doesn’t apply to drag queen story hour.

It’s going to be interesting when the Bibles get treated like any other class text and end up destroyed.

——
Easy, peasy
If that advise was offered as a solution for drag shows, I'll wager that he wouldn't appreciate it.

How about a compromise ?

Substitute the 10 Suggestions to replace the 10 Commandments

1 ) Do not place value on those things that violate your moral conscience

2 ) Do not become obsessed with taking selfies

3) Refrain from using profanity

4 ) Devote one day a week to reflect upon those things you hold dear

5 ) Cut your mom and dad a break

6 ) Don't kill anyone

7 ) Don't cheat on your boyfriend or girlfriend

8 ) Don't steal stuff

9 ) Don't tell lies about others

10 ) Don't be jealous if someone has more likes on Tik Tok than you do