GOP in Louisiana and Oklahoma requiring 10 Commandments, Bible in Public Schools

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 47
  • Views: 1K
How about a compromise ?

Substitute the 10 Suggestions to replace the 10 Commandments

1 ) Do not place value on those things that violate your moral conscience

2 ) Do not become obsessed with taking selfies

3) Refrain from using profanity

4 ) Devote one day a week to reflect upon those things you hold dear

5 ) Cut your mom and dad a break

6 ) Don't kill anyone

7 ) Don't cheat on your boyfriend or girlfriend

8 ) Don't steal stuff

9 ) Don't tell lies about others

10 ) Don't be jealous if someone has more likes on Tik Tok than you do
#3 is a non-starter

Louisiana Governor has a simple solution to parents who object:

“Louisiana Gov. Jeff Landry has a suggestion for parents who don't believe the Ten Commandments should be displayed in public school classrooms throughout the state.

"Tell your child not to look at them," he told reporters Monday. …”

——
Easy, peasy
To clarify, one governor, not the entirety of the GOP, is trying to require 10 commandments.

To clarify, one governor, not the entirety of the GOP, is trying to require 10 commandments.
That's fair. At the same time though, I doubt we will see any GOP pushback against it either, and a quick Google search for GOP disapproval of this incident was unrevealing. Not sure what the percentage split of implicit approval versus indifference or indecision might be, but I will be very surprised if we see any actual GOP resistance to this. Of course, I could certainly be mistaken.

To clarify, one governor, one attorney general and 69 of 70 Republican legislators who voted for the bill are requiring the 10 commandments be posted. Only one Republican voted against it.
Fair enough. I thought it was an executive order by the governor. I haven't followed it that closely because it's never going to stick.

What a BS way of getting them displayed. Complete violation of the separation of church and state. Pubs want to turn every school into a Christian school, and only their version of Christian extremism will do.
Close. What they really want is to turn every school for profit and get the skim. Christian Nationalism real God is greed and power.

They've already announced that they're going to appeal this ruling to the U.S. Supreme Court, and should it be overturned by the Supremes they will quickly restore the state funding to the school. So this likely isn't the last time this story will be in the news.

I can't imagine what it's like to be a teacher in OK public schools right now, especially high schools, with this Christian Nationalist lunatic in charge. This guy has actually trolled the internet looking into the social media posts, facebook and instagram pages, etc. of individual OK public school teachers to determine if they're too liberal and/or outspoken against him and need to be fired. If Michelle Morrow gets elected in NC we can expect the same (or worse) from her.

“Kids don’t learn civics or history or economics/personal finance in school!”

Maybe because every level of social studies in their school career is taught by a coach? You know we have to have something the high school linebackers coach can “teach.”

Back